Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:29 AM

175 posts, read 223,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
One of my friends lives in Smoke Rise. It is nice and I would like to live there one day, but I didn't like the real estate agent said you needed a converter for your phone if you didn't have one brand. Technically, there is no cellphone service there. The company hides their receptor in the flag pole of the closet grocery store.
Seriously? Judging by the coverage maps cell providers like to advertise, I would have assumed the entire state of NJ was within range of at least 1 major provider. This area isn't that far off the beaten path....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorianderK View Post
WRONG!!

What do you mean no gates at entrances for Smoke Rise?? Been living there for 8 years and BOTH entrances have gates. Guest entrances have 2 gates to go through, residents 1. And there are gates to EXIT also at both locations (rt. 23 & Kinnelon Rd.). Both locations have manned guard houses too.

You should really do a lot more research - or your own physical drive-by of both gates - wave to the security guards - before you post untruths.

Due diligence goes a long way, sir or madame.
Quote:
Do your research before posting inconsistencies. The internet is dangerously full of untruths b/c they are peoples opinions - like yours - and not FACTS. Hopefully people research what people like you say - so many wrong things in these posts.
"WRONG!!"

I KNOW!!!

In fact, my exactly year-old post that you are quoting, begins with "I STAND CORRECTED".

It wasn't an "opinion", it was just plain WRONG INFORMATION. When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. I'm saying I'm wrong twice now.

Jesus H. Christ. Where do you live? I'll come by with an 'I'm Sorry' muffin basket.

And, for the record, I HAVE done my own physical drive-by of the Kinnelon Rd. entrance. Over the past 10 years, I'd say I've driven past it a minimum of 30 times. And, yes, to get to South Glen.

I've already been corrected that the Rt. 23 entrance has BOTH gates AND a manned guard house, but the Kinnelon Rd. entrance is NOT gated, so I'm only half wrong on that point.

I DO see now that if you drive a quarter mile up Stone House Rd, there IS a manned guard house:

But guess what? That's not visible from the Kinnelon Rd entrance, unless you have mutant X-Men visual powers, so you'll excuse my egregious error and DANGEROUS UNTRUTH (holy hell, get a grip) on that point. But I still don't see any actual gates. At least not as of 6 months ago, which is the last time I drove by. If there are actual gates, then they are past that turretted little gingerbread house, even farther up Stone House Rd, although I don't see what the point of that would be. You can't have gates at the Kinnelon Rd entrance because of that Italian restaurant at the foot of Stone House Rd, and because of the residents living on Stone House/Forge Rd who do not live in Smoke Rise proper.

You told me to do my research, so I did my research.

Quote:
Again, due diligence. It is a gated community, it is not a subdivision or development - as every house is different and built over the the last 30+ yrs. And every property within is at least 1-2 acres, if not more. if you want development type - head to South Glen. Every house is the same there and there's no gates. Maybe you're confusing SR with that area.
And the guards that man the booths have maps of SR if you need help navigating through our beautiful nature and quiet roads. GPS on your phone will also help you find any address your looking for in there.
Jeez - untruths and ridiculousness. Fully gated - actually double gated. And - it was one of the first - if not THE first gated community in the USA.
(1) Actually, every house in South Glen is not the same. Maybe you should take your own advice and do your own drive-by and due diligence.

(2) Smoke Rise is, in fact, a subdivision. It is an older, GATED subdivision with a richer & fancier history, but it is still a subdivision. It was SUBDIVIDED from the old Kinney estate.

When Morris Kinney kicked the bucket in 1945, he gave the old family estate to his BFF John Talbot Sr.

Between 1946 and 1962, when he himself died, Talbot Sr., a real estate DEVELOPER, then began SUBDIVIDING the estate to meet the growing WWII demand for "more suburban housing" (and that's according to YOUR community's own website).

Smoke Rise has an HOA. How is it not a subdivision development? Because you want to distinguish yourself from the newer McMansion developments? You pretentious boob. Are all the residents of Smoke Rise so filled with snooty outrage? Maybe you can grumble about it with Chauncy & Bunny over canapes and cocktails at the clubhouse.

(3) I had nothing but nice things to say about both Smoke Rise and Kinnelon. In fact, only a couple people in this thread had nice things to say about Smoke Rise and Kinnelon. Yet of all the posts in this thread, you are getting your knickers in a twist about mine?

You are throwing a conniption fit over the issue of gates and the implications of the word "SUBDIVISION", yet you apparently have NO PROBLEM with all the other stuff various other people posted in this thread about Smoke Rise and Kinnelon (which I tried to refute), including:

-bad commute

-route 23 traffic

-bad access to hospitals

-no good hospitals nearby

-no good shopping or "culture"

-too rural, isolated, and in the sticks

-boring; nothing to do

-mediocre schools

-"bland", and "homogeneous" population

-"dirty hillbillies" and "seedy losers" too nearby

-"drug disability cases" and "zombie foreclosures" dangerously close by

-"white trash ghettos" dangerously close by

-poorly maintained roads

-high taxes

-high HOA fees

-people who "think they are special" (although, maybe you've proven their point on that, eh Coriander? )

-not a good place to raise children

-no community feel

-no cell service

NICE PRIORITIES, SIR or MADAM.

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
^^^ Looking back, one of my most pretentious clients was from Kinnelon. I don't know if Smoke Rise specifically. She was trying to get a government grant. Basically, we had to write a reference, but since it was the government, it didn't have to be positive just honest. We were going to give her a bad reference, because she really didn't meet the criteria and she was a terrible client. The paperwork said in bold letters confidential and to mail to the department, not the person applying for the grant. She kept hounding us about that. I finally said "You're not supposed to see it, it's confidential". She replied really smugly "I was going to mail it out to save you the hassle".

Old 07-04-2017, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 16,934 times
So did you end up leaving Princeton? Move into the SR community? We're considering a move from northern Westchester county in NY and are trying to find the right balance of convenience to restaurants, coffee shops, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, shopping, etc., accessibility into NYC (hubby doesn't commute everyday but when we want to get into the city we definitely don't want more than an hour and a half by car or train), easy access for mountain biking (we bike several times per week), easy access to horseback riding, no more than an hour from a good beach and excellent schools. I don't know much about Jersey but we need to make a decision soon. Suggestions?

Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM

119 posts, read 139,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
"WRONG!!"

I KNOW!!!

In fact, my exactly year-old post that you are quoting, begins with "I STAND CORRECTED".

It wasn't an "opinion", it was just plain WRONG INFORMATION. When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. I'm saying I'm wrong twice now.

Jesus H. Christ. Where do you live? I'll come by with an 'I'm Sorry' muffin basket.

And, for the record, I HAVE done my own physical drive-by of the Kinnelon Rd. entrance. Over the past 10 years, I'd say I've driven past it a minimum of 30 times. And, yes, to get to South Glen.

I've already been corrected that the Rt. 23 entrance has BOTH gates AND a manned guard house, but the Kinnelon Rd. entrance is NOT gated, so I'm only half wrong on that point.

I DO see now that if you drive a quarter mile up Stone House Rd, there IS a manned guard house:

But guess what? That's not visible from the Kinnelon Rd entrance, unless you have mutant X-Men visual powers, so you'll excuse my egregious error and DANGEROUS UNTRUTH (holy hell, get a grip) on that point. But I still don't see any actual gates. At least not as of 6 months ago, which is the last time I drove by. If there are actual gates, then they are past that turretted little gingerbread house, even farther up Stone House Rd, although I don't see what the point of that would be. You can't have gates at the Kinnelon Rd entrance because of that Italian restaurant at the foot of Stone House Rd, and because of the residents living on Stone House/Forge Rd who do not live in Smoke Rise proper.

You told me to do my research, so I did my research.

(1) Actually, every house in South Glen is not the same. Maybe you should take your own advice and do your own drive-by and due diligence.

(2) Smoke Rise is, in fact, a subdivision. It is an older, GATED subdivision with a richer & fancier history, but it is still a subdivision. It was SUBDIVIDED from the old Kinney estate.

When Morris Kinney kicked the bucket in 1945, he gave the old family estate to his BFF John Talbot Sr.

Between 1946 and 1962, when he himself died, Talbot Sr., a real estate DEVELOPER, then began SUBDIVIDING the estate to meet the growing WWII demand for "more suburban housing" (and that's according to YOUR community's own website).

Smoke Rise has an HOA. How is it not a subdivision development? Because you want to distinguish yourself from the newer McMansion developments? You pretentious boob. Are all the residents of Smoke Rise so filled with snooty outrage? Maybe you can grumble about it with Chauncy & Bunny over canapes and cocktails at the clubhouse.

(3) I had nothing but nice things to say about both Smoke Rise and Kinnelon. In fact, only a couple people in this thread had nice things to say about Smoke Rise and Kinnelon. Yet of all the posts in this thread, you are getting your knickers in a twist about mine?

You are throwing a conniption fit over the issue of gates and the implications of the word "SUBDIVISION", yet you apparently have NO PROBLEM with all the other stuff various other people posted in this thread about Smoke Rise and Kinnelon (which I tried to refute), including:

-bad commute

-route 23 traffic

-bad access to hospitals

-no good hospitals nearby

-no good shopping or "culture"

-too rural, isolated, and in the sticks

-boring; nothing to do

-mediocre schools

-"bland", and "homogeneous" population

-"dirty hillbillies" and "seedy losers" too nearby

-"drug disability cases" and "zombie foreclosures" dangerously close by

-"white trash ghettos" dangerously close by

-poorly maintained roads

-high taxes

-high HOA fees

-people who "think they are special" (although, maybe you've proven their point on that, eh Coriander? )

-not a good place to raise children

-no community feel

-no cell service

NICE PRIORITIES, SIR or MADAM.

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The guard house is cute! I wonder if the security guards live upstairs. That would be so cute if they did

Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
I grew up in Kinnelon. I loved my house, but I can't recommend the town. The public school system, while highly rated, isn't what it once was. The taxes are out of control, living off Route 23 makes everything inconvenient, there is no downtown and the closest nice downtown is a 15 minute drive, and there is no real community feel. There are few decent restaurants, bad choices in shopping, and the closest hospital (Chilton) is arguably the worst in northern New Jersey,

Others here have discussed Route 23, which has been nicknamed by law enforcement as "heroin highway."

I would look into Denville, Boonton Township, or Montville before Kinnelon.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:08 AM

119 posts, read 139,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I grew up in Kinnelon. I loved my house, but I can't recommend the town. The public school system, while highly rated, isn't what it once was. The taxes are out of control, living off Route 23 makes everything inconvenient, there is no downtown and the closest nice downtown is a 15 minute drive, and there is no real community feel. There are few decent restaurants, bad choices in shopping, and the closest hospital (Chilton) is arguably the worst in northern New Jersey,

Others here have discussed Route 23, which has been nicknamed by law enforcement as "heroin highway."

I would look into Denville, Boonton Township, or Montville before Kinnelon.
Would the experience of living in Kinnelton be different if living in Smoke Rise

Old 12-29-2017, 12:19 PM

857 posts, read 834,503 times
Where is the beach in Princeton?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 PM

857 posts, read 834,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I'd just like to say to some of the posters on here with your noses so up so high, be careful when it rains you may drown!

"Hillbillies", yeah right, mostly working people in the Butler, Bloomingdale, etc. when your heat or a/c doesn't work, then your thankful for that guy that lives in Sussex and repairs your heat!

Maybe some of the dump truck drivers are a little crazy, but one of the reasons your windshield got broke was because you were probably tailgating. Sure is nice when that dump truck brings asphalt when the resurface the road, if it's in front of you it's a pain because you're so high an mighty and have to be first.

What a bunch of SNOBS!
I must I ardently agree with this. The little people are of such importance.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:55 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
Would the experience of living in Kinnelton be different if living in Smoke Rise
To be perfectly honest with you, you couldn't pay me to live in Smoke Rise. It's clicky and the most inconvenient part of the town. So I'm happy I didn't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey