Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times

Advertisements

THE 4 SEASON: For starters, NJ does not have 4 seasons...we only have 2 - Winter and Highway Construction : ) As soon as the geese begin to return and the temps reach 50 degrees, out they come..those awful orange sign..."merge left"..."merge right"..."Lane Closed" ... I love the one sign "Your Highway Dollars Hard at Work"..didn't we already pay you to pave this section last year????WHAT WE DO FOR FUN:In the winter, we hibernate and mull over whether or not we want Pizza or Chinese delivery?In the Spring (Const. season I): We spruce up our McMansions - the traffic then shifts from the highways over to the Lowes or Home Depot parking lotIn the summer (const. season II): WE PARTY..WAHOO...Out come the BBQ grillsIn the Fall (Const. season III): We trade in our 8 cylinder merc. for an 18 cylinder hummer and then head off to one of our many malls to look for xmas gift bargains : ))Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the rock!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the rock!
Really? Sorry..I thought it would be a fun thread. All these inquiries about where to live..how's the commute... it really doesn't matter where you move to, the traffic is horrible everywhere. For those looking...just go for it. Buy the house you really want no matter where it is. Wouldn't you rather sit in traffic coming home to a house you love vs. a house you settled on because it was 10 mins. closer??? And for the most part..all of our school are rated above average.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM

387 posts, read 1,429,456 times
No, I'm with you. I just wanted to say that to someone. ( From the Geico Caveman commercials, I think they are great. )

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Haha, good post.

I remember living in Michigan, one could ALWAYS tell what season it was (either construction, or not.)

I'll cope with that, again. I love NJ enough.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
No, I'm with you. I just wanted to say that to someone. ( From the Geico Caveman commercials, I think they are great. )
Those Geico commercials are getting old though.. time for new ones. I must say, I'm surprsied that no one has tried to claim that they are racist in nature...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Haha, good post.

I remember living in Michigan, one could ALWAYS tell what season it was (either construction, or not.)

I'll cope with that, again. I love NJ enough.
So it's pretty much the same everywhere you go/live in the north / northeast : )) They really need to come up with an alternate to asphalt... they lay in down in the spring, tear it up in the winter when they plow and then put it back together in the form of loose asphalt into the pot holes....over and over agian How many of us have a that same chip in our windshields from flying asphalt bits : ))

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM

19 posts, read 134,045 times
I like the thread but I disagree with the statement "Buy the house you really want no matter where it is. Wouldn't you rather sit in traffic coming home to a house you love vs. a house you settled on because it was 10 mins. closer???"...

I used to live in Somerset county NJ and commuted to NYC everyday. I liked the area but hated the two hour door to door commute. How do you enjoy your life/family when you leave at 7AM and get back at 7:30-8:00PM?

Some truth about NJ: Areas closer to the city are overcrowded, construction in summer sucks, houses are expensive and Taxes are HIGH! But....we have the ocean and NYC....which is great.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsee View Post
I like the thread but I disagree with the statement "Buy the house you really want no matter where it is. Wouldn't you rather sit in traffic coming home to a house you love vs. a house you settled on because it was 10 mins. closer???"...

I used to live in Somerset county NJ and commuted to NYC everyday. I liked the area but hated the two hour door to door commute. How do you enjoy your life/family when you leave at 7AM and get back at 7:30-8:00PM?

Some truth about NJ: Areas closer to the city are overcrowded, construction in summer sucks, houses are expensive and Taxes are HIGH! But....we have the ocean and NYC....which is great.
Good Points.... but one thing we are all neglecting to talk about is our big fat paychecks : )) We need the high taxes so that we have something to right-off each April. And what about that big ole homestead rebate check : ))) Actually, mine was pretty good last year : ))

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM

81 posts, read 317,427 times
the people who complain about road construction are usually the same ones who (if nothing was done) would complain about the roads being in a state of disrepair...

NJ is a corridor state -- lots of heavy truck traffic, which really puts a beating on the highways.

NJ also sees wild swings in temperature extremes -- this also accelerates the wear on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey