Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:44 AM

26 posts, read 119,024 times

Advertisements

Don't really have any questions - just some thoughts as my wife and I begin our home search.

Our max budget is $425k. We'd preferably like to find something in the $380-400k range. We've learned that $400k in Cranford gets you very little. It's tough even finding a 2 bathroom. The inventory in Cranford right now is really low and we've been told it will start picking up in February or so. But with the increased inventory will come increased competition. Cranford is tough. So many people want to live there and the town is relatively small. It's our #1 choice but I'm somewhat pessimistic we will find a deal.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Scotch Plains. You get more house for your money in SP compared to Cranford. The downtown isn't as nice but still very respectable. Schools are very good. It seems like a great place to live. I'm a bit more confident of finding something we like in SP.

Finally, just started checking out Kenilworth and, again, pleasantly surprised. Doesn't have the "status" of a Cranford but homes are very affordable and it seems safe.

I'm keeping an open mind at the moment. Cranford is the dream but Union County has some well-kept secrets we are just discovering!

Will keep you all posted on our progress (since I know you're all waiting on bated breath!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 AM

389 posts, read 663,938 times
good luck! We looked at cranford (couple years ago) but really fell in love with Scotch Plains. You could also look at Fanwood, its a lot like scotch plains, and has the train station--though no curbside recycling (you take it to a community recycling center)

I'll also add: Two years ago, we had your budget, and ended up with a nice expanded cape for around 400. If we were to list our house now, I am thinking we would end up closer to 450. 3 br/2 ba. Of course, I cant be sure unless we were to list the house and sell it

I think you CAN find a house in your budget, but it will be a challenge in SP/Fanwood/Cranford. Around 450, things might open up a bit.

One man's thoughts... Good luck!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM

140 posts, read 148,798 times
I actually prefer SP to Cranford. Tough finding anything in either town at that price though. I feel your pain. We have our eye on SP as an eventual place to buy but want to save some more and get closer to 500k budget wise.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I think you can't go wrong with any of these, you're on the right track for what you're looking for.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 AM

141 posts, read 243,662 times
Have you checked out Springfield. There's no downtown but your a hop, skip and a jump from South Orange,Maplewood, Millburn, Summit, Westfield, and Cranford downtowns.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 PM

140 posts, read 148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
Have you checked out Springfield. There's no downtown but your a hop, skip and a jump from South Orange,Maplewood, Millburn, Summit, Westfield, and Cranford downtowns.

Is Springfield nice though? I always feel like it gets a bad rap.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
Springfield has a downtown but it's rather small and probably not as "hip" as the others you mentioned.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:56 AM

141 posts, read 243,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
Is Springfield nice though? I always feel like it gets a bad rap.
I have not heard anything bad about Springfield and I've been living here/there since '12. My daughter is about to be 3 and starts kindergarten in two years and if I'm staying in NJ, then I have no problems sending her to the public school.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:00 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
You may be thinking Springfield Ave in Irvington and Newark. Springfield is a very nice town and does not have a bad rap at all as far as I know.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Very few houses in that range for SP, more at Cranford and Kenilworth. Those houses within your desired range should be checked for flooding because that area is near the creek where any serious rain can cause flooding issues. If I would look, I'd start at SP and see if any decent fixer-uppers show up for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey