Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 43,618 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of changing my last name. My current last name is very short so I've never had to worry about it, however my new last name is very long. 19 characters including spaces, 17 without.

I found an article from 2012 that says the character limit is 17 but I've found other sources that say 14 and others they say they're working on eventually lengthening it. If it's 17 they'll have to eliminate the spaces which isn't ideal but, whatever. At least the whole name will fit that way. I'm just worried about it being less and running into issues in the future.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-3...-letters-names

It seems like they should have a better system in place. My aunt's first name (Antoinette) doesn't even fit on her license due to the 9 character limit for first names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:10 PM

173 posts, read 245,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDT View Post
I'm in the process of changing my last name. My current last name is very short so I've never had to worry about it, however my new last name is very long. 19 characters including spaces, 17 without.

I found an article from 2012 that says the character limit is 17 but I've found other sources that say 14 and others they say they're working on eventually lengthening it. If it's 17 they'll have to eliminate the spaces which isn't ideal but, whatever. At least the whole name will fit that way. I'm just worried about it being less and running into issues in the future.

Do you have three names? Not in New Jersey - philly-archives

It seems like they should have a better system in place. My aunt's first name (Antoinette) doesn't even fit on her license due to the 9 character limit for first names.
Sorry, just curious, no offense. Im assuming since your name is Nick, that you're a dude. SO why would u be changing your last name?

Old 01-13-2016, 11:20 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Stop by and ask if there's one in the area, or call. Real people answer the phone... eventually.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Rams View Post
Sorry, just curious, no offense. Im assuming since your name is Nick, that you're a dude. SO why would u be changing your last name?
Haha, good question. My dad was a deadbeat. I've been meaning to change my last name for a while and I finally have the time/money/etc to do it. I'm taking my mom's last name since she and her family raised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Stop by and ask if there's one in the area, or call. Real people answer the phone... eventually.
Yeah, I was gonna do that once the name change got closer to being final but I figured I'd ask on here too.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
I have a friend who had this issue a few years ago. I think the limit was 9 or 10 letters (which seems way too short). And it sometimes did cause a delay at airports because the name on the tocket did not exctly match the license.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
NFN but if you're changing your last name why not make it something easy to write?

How about easy and catchy?

Nick Knack good if you're into ceramics
Nick Oteen good smokers name
Nick D'Quick good if you're a running back

Sorry I mean no disrespect just trying to be helpful.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I have a friend who had this issue a few years ago. I think the limit was 9 or 10 letters (which seems way too short). And it sometimes did cause a delay at airports because the name on the tocket did not exctly match the license.
That's what I'm worried about. I know it's 9 for the first name. Like I said my aunt's first name (Antoinette) is also cut off. The 2 numbers that keep popping up online for last names are 14 and 17. If it's 14, a few letters will be cut off. If it's 17 they'll all fit without spaces which is better than being cut off I guess. Supposedly NJ has 9 months to comply with the REAL ID requirement which would have a 40 character requirement for last names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NFN but if you're changing your last name why not make it something easy to write?

How about easy and catchy?

Nick Knack good if you're into ceramics
Nick Oteen good smokers name
Nick D'Quick good if you're a running back

Sorry I mean no disrespect just trying to be helpful.
Haha. Thanks for the laugh! My friends suggested that too, but I really want to take my mom's last name to honor her and her family.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDT View Post
That's what I'm worried about. I know it's 9 for the first name. Like I said my aunt's first name (Antoinette) is also cut off. The 2 numbers that keep popping up online for last names are 14 and 17. If it's 14, a few letters will be cut off. If it's 17 they'll all fit without spaces which is better than being cut off I guess. Supposedly NJ has 9 months to comply with the REAL ID requirement which would have a 40 character requirement for last names.

Now that you mention it, I think it was the first name that was the issue.

I'd go with the suggestion of another poster to call and try to get a live person. I might take some effort, but that's probably your best bet short of going in person.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,118 times
First name = 9 characters
Middle initial- 1 character
Last name = 17 characters

No spaces or any non-letter allowed

Old 01-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
First name = 9 characters
Middle initial- 1 character
Last name = 17 characters

No spaces or any non-letter allowed
Thanks for the response! I've seen the 17 number floating around on a few different websites. Where did you get this information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey