Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,986 times

Advertisements

Well, my commute home on the Parkway is a lengthy one and I often flip radio stations. NJ 101.5 is sponsoring the Flying Pigs Coalition this Friday at Noon at the State house. For those of you who aren't aware the Governor's made a statement in response to opposition of his proposed toll hikes that "pigs will fly over the Statehouse before there's a realistic level of new taxes or spending cuts that can fix this mess."

I LOVE NJ but honestly this proposal is ridiculous so if you want to know what you can do that can have an effect on the outrageous taxes here, it is to send a message to the Governor that enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
What would the message contain? A solution, or just asking that the rates not be jacked up?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:31 PM

81 posts, read 317,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
NJ 101.5 is sponsoring the Flying Pigs Coalition this Friday at Noon at the State house.
this is why I have now stopped listening to that station -- they have become too political.

up until now, they were amusing in their ignorance. I only listened for the traffic reports. but even with those, a couple of times I called in so that they could alert listeners of a trouble spot I had encountered, yet they did not announce it.

they've gotten too big for their britches, and it's too bad, because NJ needed an unbiased station for itself

Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM

First, even if it was to "just" tell the gov. that his plan is not acceptable to the people and that he needs to try something else that's ok. The fact is if we just accept whatever gov't throws at us then we truly are sheep to slaughter. We need to send a message to the politicians of this state. More taxes can't be the ONLY answer.

However, the fact is that there are tons of cuts that can be made. The governor refuses to listen to proposals made on ways cuts can be made. Real cuts that have been presented to him. His town meetings are a joke. He isn't listening to what people are saying and his response to legitimate suggestions is insulting.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G View Post
this is why I have now stopped listening to that station -- they have become too political.

up until now, they were amusing in their ignorance. I only listened for the traffic reports. but even with those, a couple of times I called in so that they could alert listeners of a trouble spot I had encountered, yet they did not announce it.

they've gotten too big for their britches, and it's too bad, because NJ needed an unbiased station for itself
Forget whose sponsoring it...I agree with you, the station stinks and your right about the traffic reports. They announce accidents an hour after they've been cleared up. The fact is, that they are rallying people together to send a message to Government. Someone needs to get political because we are simply to apathetic. We complain but we don't do anything about it.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM

81 posts, read 317,457 times
Quote:
More taxes can't be the ONLY answer.
I thought the plan was to raise tolls, not taxes...?

Quote:
However, the fact is that there are tons of cuts that can be made.
really ? then why didn't Whitman find them ? after all, she had 8 years to

Quote:
Real cuts that have been presented to him.
can you cite a reference ?

Quote:
He isn't listening to what people are saying and his response to legitimate suggestions is insulting.
when you take a young child in to the doctor, or in for a haircut, he/she will undoubtedly cry "no no no". you might indulge the child for a while, but in the end, the medicine has to be taken.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
John G=Corzine=raise tolls,sales tax and a hundred of others. You must be Corzine or his Chief of Staff. Your kidding when you say that no other proposals have been presented to him!!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:25 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
He needs to do what he promised and not cave in to the unions. He promised that state workers would have to contribute to their health plans, then he caved. He promised to raise the retirement age, then he caved. He promised to get us off of unsustainable pension plans and into 401Ks like the private sector, then he caved. He even gave state workers a raise guarantee for years to come. He asked for suggestions? How is THAT for a few suggestions. I'm only suggesting what he already SAID he was going to do.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
John_G;2747896]I thought the plan was to raise tolls not taxes...?
It is. He already raised the sales tax. But, don't worry and don't lose faith in our politicians. Our taxes will continue to rise

Quote:
really ? then why didn't Whitman find them ? after all, she had 8 years to
Because she was a pi$$ poor excuse for a governor, that's why. McGreevy also failed to do anything in his 3 1/2 years, come to think of it.

Quote:
can you cite a reference ?
The 1/2 billion or so the legislature came up with in spring of '07 with regards to the then upcoming gov't worker's union contracts.

Corzine, in the true spirit of a governor looking out for the taxpayer's of NJ, scrapped them and gave his exgirlfriend a better deal. What a surprise!! At least we have good pizza.

Quote:
when you take a young child in to the doctor, or in for a haircut, he/she will undoubtedly cry "no no no". you might indulge the child for a while, but in the end, the medicine has to be taken
So, the only cure for what seriously ails NJ is throwing more money at the pigs sloppin' at the tax money trough. That's a revolutionary idea. You should run for office. The majorities in the urban centers will landslide you into office.

Me, when the time is right, I'm joinin' the exodus. I'll sure miss the pizza, though.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G View Post
when you take a young child in to the doctor, or in for a haircut, he/she will undoubtedly cry "no no no". you might indulge the child for a while, but in the end, the medicine has to be taken.
I thought the 'medicine' was supposed to be raising the sales tax. Wasn't that supposed to fix 'all' of our problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey