Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 8,889 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?

Columbus, OH

Why are you moving?

Promotion

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?

Basking Ridge - Verizon

Will you buy or rent?

Rent

What is your budget ?

Should everything work out, I'll make 102K, so my rent budget would be:

1500 - 2000

What kind of place are you looking for ?

An industrial loft, W/D hookups or in unit, garage/parking for a car.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?

I have a boxer.

Do you need/want good public schools?

Nope

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Higher Density, Urban, Safe, and a decent adult nightlife for late 20-something early 30-somethings.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1) Close to a train to NYC. (I will have my own car as well)
2) ~40 minute commute during rush hour if possible.
3) Safe Downtownish Area

I've looked around the Morristown area, but the apartments are slightly outside my range for the downtown area. I could afford it, but I'd rather have some cushion. I'm willing to capitulate on the Loft, so long as I was in a place where, if I wanted to mingle and become local, it'd be a short and safe walk somewhere to grab a drink and meet new folks. Looking to see if there might be a better place than Morristown.

I also would live in Newark if there was a legit nice area. There are also some swanky lofts in a great price range, but I expect that this is because of neighborhood crime.

I've not (and won't) had the opportunity to really visit Jersey ever, so looking for the best advice.

Last edited by Dignified Pauper; 01-23-2016 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:53 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
I would suggest that you take a look at downtown Somerville. In addition to rental prices most likely being cheaper than those in Morristown, it is a bit closer to Basking Ridge, and it has an NJ Transit RR station w/in walking distance of the downtown area.

Additionally, Somerville is morphing into an artsy community, and is actually a destination town on weekends as a result of a number of good restaurants.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely look there!

quick glance looks like it also has late evening service back and forth to NYC as well with a commute only a little longer by train than Morristown. Rent is CERTAINLY cheaper and I could probably get a 2 BR there for guests and friends who visit.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Somerville has undergone a lot of positive changes over the past 10 years or so, and if the city administration's plans come to fruition, there will be even more over the next few years. Somerville is definitely a town that is on the rise, and it has a lot to offer--IMHO.

Last edited by Retriever; 01-23-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 PM

That's really good to know! Typically that's the best time to move to an area, and the rent is looking ideal for a 2 BR. Now to find a decent loft in the area.

How's Middlesex?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
That's really good to know! Typically that's the best time to move to an area, and the rent is looking ideal for a 2 BR. Now to find a decent loft in the area.

How's Middlesex?

The town of Middlesex, or the county of Middlesex?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:14 PM

324 posts, read 575,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would suggest that you take a look at downtown Somerville. In addition to rental prices most likely being cheaper than those in Morristown, it is a bit closer to Basking Ridge, and it has an NJ Transit RR station w/in walking distance of the downtown area.

Additionally, Somerville is morphing into an artsy community, and is actually a destination town on weekends as a result of a number of good restaurants.

Somerville is a good suggestion, but it's not "a bit closer to Basking Ridge". It's actually twice as far as Morristown from the Verizon office, which is in the northern part of BR. Also, there is more traffic in that direction, but it should still be under 40 minutes during rush hour.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The town of Middlesex, or the county of Middlesex?

Haha, the town.

And yeah, Morristown is literally a 15 minute commute. I am willing to give up on the Loft idea (UuuuuugH), as my main concern is having at least one bedroom, an open concept where the kitchen and living area is one big room, and then parking. Morristown has it, but so expensive.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
Haha, the town.

And yeah, Morristown is literally a 15 minute commute. I am willing to give up on the Loft idea (UuuuuugH), as my main concern is having at least one bedroom, an open concept where the kitchen and living area is one big room, and then parking. Morristown has it, but so expensive.

The town of Middlesex is...okay...but--IMHO--it would be supremely boring for a young person.
Most rentals are as a part of a typical '60s suburban home, and the downtown has...almost nothing of interest...for anyone, no less a young person.

Additionally, parts of Middlesex are very close to Plainfield, which has a very high crime rate.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:41 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Middlesex is very suburban. You'd be bored.
Morristown is better. South Orange is a little farther but it has a decent downtown.
Really, much of that area is very suburban. I do think that your budget is a little low for that area if you're looking for all the amenities. However, if you don't mind living in New Brunswick, it is 25 miles away. That might be a bit of a stretch for a commute (45 min each way) but downtown New Brunswick is pretty swanky and happening. You have a train that takes you directly to NYC and at the same station, you have one going the other direction to Philadelphia. It is a college town for Rutgers but at your price range, you could rent something downtown in a nice place and not live near the frat houses.
New Brunswick is awesome in terms of night life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey