Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times

Advertisements

I shoveled twice on Saturday, just so we could keep the stoop from becoming a snow-slide and we could get into and out of the building. Of course I didn't expect it to stay clear during the storm, but we just wanted to keep the volume of snow on the stoop and sidewalk to a level that someone (elderly) could walk through if they needed to. I'd hate for someone in the building to have an emergency and not be able to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:12 AM

132 posts, read 289,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've been watching people in my area shoveling Friday night and morning then stopped by noon time. The snow just kept going and going. Don't they realize they are in the middle of a blizzard? You better off waiting til the snow let down a bit then go out and then start.

The wind also pushed a lot of snow so any shoveling is pointless right now until the system moves off to sea.

By noon time I realize most of the neighbors gave up. I can see atleast 1.5 ft of snow on the side walk not including mounds of snow pushed up by the snow plow trucks.
I wondered the same thing on Friday & Saturday night, my neighbors all gave up around noon time too.

I did have to shovel a lot yesterday, and everything hurts, but I was not going to do that in the middle of the snow storm with those winds.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
I've been watching people in my area shoveling Friday night and morning then stopped by noon time. The snow just kept going and going. Don't they realize they are in the middle of a blizzard? You better off waiting til the snow let down a bit then go out and then start.

The wind also pushed a lot of snow so any shoveling is pointless right now until the system moves off to sea.

By noon time I realize most of the neighbors gave up. I can see atleast 1.5 ft of snow on the side walk not including mounds of snow pushed up by the snow plow trucks.
People who are used to NJ snowstorms know that if you wait until it stops completely you may have a tougher time digging out.

I tried your method one time and my 24" 12 HP snow blower had a tough time clearing 24" of compacted snow.

Much easier to stay ahead of the storm by waiting until you have about 8" and then plow every time it gets to 8".

Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
When I lived just over the state line in PA, I would do the snow when it was up to ~50% of the snowblower height. It was a One Stage blower, and I found when the Snow got over 9" the snowblower would start to have trouble blowing it. (was a 18") blower.

If it was a dry snow I would do it around 12", Wet/Heavy Snow 6-9"

I was also a On-Call RedCross Emergency Responder, So If i needed to get out, made the clearing faster + I might be able to get back into driveway when The RedCross Call was over.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 AM

585 posts, read 492,657 times
I spent 75 minutes blowing and digging Saturday (over 23 inches) and the same amount of time cleaning up Sunday (5 more inches). Took a long time Sunday as I had to shovel the areas where my blower had compacted the snow.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
People who are used to NJ snowstorms know that if you wait until it stops completely you may have a tougher time digging out.

I tried your method one time and my 24" 12 HP snow blower had a tough time clearing 24" of compacted snow.

Much easier to stay ahead of the storm by waiting until you have about 8" and then plow every time it gets to 8".
Yesterday, I spent about 3+ hours shoveling 30"+ worth of snow. Luckily the snow was soft.

I had no issues getting my driveway and walkpath cleared with standard shovels.

Let's say if you didn't clear the snow last night. Then the moisture overnight along with the freezing temps would increase the weight of the snow on the top layer. The snow packed underneath would still remain soft as the temps were not cold enough to penetrate the layer underneath.

Still not too bad to go out shoveling today.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoyeno View Post
I wondered the same thing on Friday & Saturday night, my neighbors all gave up around noon time too.

I did have to shovel a lot yesterday, and everything hurts, but I was not going to do that in the middle of the snow storm with those winds.
People don't realize that when you go out in the middle of the night during the blizzard you might have shortness of breath as you inhale cold air and moisture your body has to work harder and that's why a lot of people get a stroke or heart attack. You're taking a huge risk going out in the middle of the storm just get a few inches of snow off.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
People don't realize that when you go out in the middle of the night during the blizzard you might have shortness of breath as you inhale cold air and moisture your body has to work harder and that's why a lot of people get a stroke or heart attack. You're taking a huge risk going out in the middle of the storm just get a few inches of snow off.
If your health is that fragile you shouldn't be attempting to shovel anything, anytime. I'm ready to call shenanigans on this one...

Old 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
how much does it cost to get a driveway plowed? i cant believe the people in my dad's community who either arent doing anything for their driveways or are shoveling it themselves.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Yeah, OK if someone weights 300 pounds and can barely walk than maybe. Or maybe a senior. For others, going out on Saturday was actually very nice. Nice fresh cold air, pristine white snow... Very pretty and relaxing and no one as of yet ruining this feeling with the noxious fumes from idling cars and smelly snow blowers.

Last edited by DefiantNJ; 01-25-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey