Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yeah, OK if you weight 300 pounds and can barely walk than maybe. Or maybe a senior. For others, going out on Saturday was actually very nice. Nice fresh cold air, pristine white snow/ Very pretty and relaxing and no one as of yet ruining this feeling with the noxious fumes from idling cars and smelly snow blowers.
that was sunday. saturday sucked to be outside. my wife wanted to have the kids play in the snow and snap some pictures. i kept telling her that im not going out but of course I have to do what she says eventually. it lasted about 5 minutes. the only positive was that i took the opportunity to clean off my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yeah, OK if someone weights 300 pounds and can barely walk than maybe. Or maybe a senior.
+1

It all depends on the state of someone's health.
Because the snow blower can't get into all areas that I want to clear, I always do some shoveling after using the snow blower. I am now 68 years old, am a bit overweight, and have asthma, and yet...I can shovel snow for 50-60 minutes straight, without even getting out of breath.

If somebody's usual leisure time is spent in totally passive activities, then it is very possible that their health won't permit any more than a couple of minutes of exertion before clutching their chest as "The Big One" convulses their heart (consider what would happen if our esteemed governor attempted to shovel some snow, and you will have a pretty accurate mental image).

On the other hand, if somebody is diligent about being physically active on a daily basis, and about maintaining good health, then it shouldn't be the case that simply being a senior citizen makes it impossible to shovel snow. When I take my power walks along the D&R Canal, I am usually the fastest person whom I encounter during the course of those 3-4 mile walks. That type of daily exertion, coupled with doing all of my own gardening/yard work, helps to keep me in reasonably good physical condition, and allows me to shovel my own snow without any physical problems.

Due to the recent weather conditions, I haven't been able to take those power walks, but the snow shoveling is a pretty good substitute!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM

156 posts, read 165,573 times
Fresh snow is much easier to shovel

Old 01-26-2016, 02:01 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People don't realize that when you go out in the middle of the night during the blizzard you might have shortness of breath as you inhale cold air and moisture your body has to work harder and that's why a lot of people get a stroke or heart attack. You're taking a huge risk going out in the middle of the storm just get a few inches of snow off.
Yeah, so what's it to you?

Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish740 View Post
if all you have is a shovel it's a hell of a lot easier to shovel 6" four times than it is to shovel 24" all at once.

+1

Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
6 People Die While Shoveling Snow, Officials Say - The New York Times

Quote:
Of the roughly 20 deaths that have been linked to the severe weather, six have involved shoveling snow, the authorities said.

By Saturday night, three of the known shoveling deaths were in New York City, two were on Long Island, and one was in Maryland.

Three New Yorkers — aged 67, 78 and 80 — died in Queens and Staten Island with shovels in their hands, the police said.

On Long Island, a 61-year-old man in West Hempstead went into cardiac arrest while shoveling. A 94-year-old Smithtown man had a heart attack while clearing snow outside his home, the authorities said.

“My heart is heavy,” Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said in a statement. “I offer condolences to his family and remind residents that snow shoveling and removal can be very strenuous.”

In Maryland, officials said a 60-year-old man died of a heart attack early Saturday while shoveling snow outside his home in Fort Washington.
I saw my retired neighbor across the street outside Saturday night in the middle of the blizzard shoveling. I can't help but to think he might just drop dead. The sad part is that he's got grown up kids still living in with him and they're not out shoveling or helping him until Sunday they were mostly getting their cars out. It took him probably 4-5 trips to get his snow plowed and he has a smaller lot than me and he's got 2-3 grown ups living with him.

I truly think anyone who is not in good shape should stay indoors and pay somebody to do it. My neighbor next day paid someone to do his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey