Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

I've been watching people in my area shoveling Friday night and morning then stopped by noon time. The snow just kept going and going. Don't they realize they are in the middle of a blizzard? You better off waiting til the snow let down a bit then go out and then start.

The wind also pushed a lot of snow so any shoveling is pointless right now until the system moves off to sea.

By noon time I realize most of the neighbors gave up. I can see atleast 1.5 ft of snow on the side walk not including mounds of snow pushed up by the snow plow trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:45 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
About 1.5 hours ago--while the snow was coming down fast & furiously--I watched my crazy neighbor attack his driveway with his tiny, one-stage snow blower. He gave up after about 30 minutes, and within less than 1 hour, the drifting snow erased all evidence of his premature and pathetic attempts at snow removal.

I had previously come to the conclusion that he is crazy, and this incident just helps to reinforce that impression.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
We've gone out twice. The drifts around the driveway and front stairs were literally 5 feet tall. Our cars are/were buried on one side. Had we waited until it was all over, we'd have a much bigger mess to clean at once. We effectively cut our own work in half at least. I just cannot imagine the height those drifts would be tomorrow had we waited.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM

149 posts, read 166,535 times
I've been focusing on keeping the snow off our stoop and removing it around the side door. I don't want to be unable to open our doors to get out!

Old 01-23-2016, 04:38 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've been watching people in my area shoveling Friday night and morning then stopped by noon time. The snow just kept going and going. Don't they realize they are in the middle of a blizzard? You better off waiting til the snow let down a bit then go out and then start.
If all you have is a shovel it's a hell of a lot easier to shovel 6" four times than it is to shovel 24" all at once. I haven't touched my driveway because the snowblower/plow will chew that up no problem-I did my front and back porches twice today and will need to do them again in the morning.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:52 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
I've been shoveling my back stairs because the snow has been piling up against the door I use to go in and out of the house. The first time I shoveled, I had to lean all my weight against the door to move enough snow to crack the door open so I could slip out. Much easier to keep up with it than to try to remove all the snow at once tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
i have a 24" 2 stage thrower, i spent 40 min around noon, and another 30 min or so just now. i didnt want to wait for it to pile up and/or freeze tonight.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:09 PM

684 posts, read 713,667 times
I get my snow shoveled by Mexicans, you know, the once that Trump hates !

Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
i have a 24" 2 stage thrower, i spent 40 min around noon, and another 30 min or so just now. i didnt want to wait for it to pile up and/or freeze tonight.
I get that but this is not 2013, the ground temperature is nowhere near as cold. It would require the melting of the snow then refreezing for you to need to do that. You could've waited til the snow stopped and perform all of your work in an hour and won't have to head out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
I get my snow shoveled by Mexicans, you know, the once that Trump hates !
He's got more working for him than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We've gone out twice. The drifts around the driveway and front stairs were literally 5 feet tall. Our cars are/were buried on one side. Had we waited until it was all over, we'd have a much bigger mess to clean at once. We effectively cut our own work in half at least. I just cannot imagine the height those drifts would be tomorrow had we waited.
I'm gonna wait til it's all over on Sunday morning. The drifts and wind tonight will dump more snow and any salting will go to waste. What worries is the hard snow piles the snow plow trucks pushed those are very hard to loosen up. Fortunately the next few days won't be as cold so the snow won't be as hard.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:25 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
The joys of living in a 55+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey