Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 AM

25 posts, read 28,964 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I just got a job in Warren, NJ and am moving from the west coast to NJ. I'm a 30 year single male and wanted to see if you guys can throw any suggestions for the best place to live?

I know of Montclair, Morristown, Hoboken and Weehawken as good places (most of which were suggested on this forum). Personally, I don't mind an hour commute if love the area and I'm happy. My goal is just to make friends and be around friendly people. I hate stress and am nervous being too close to the city since it seems like you're just bumping into people everywhere.

I've heard from a friend who lives in nyc that there's a lot of racial tension in NJ and I'm central Asian and look some sort of indian to folks (i.e. I can expect to not get service at many bars or entry in some places). I know that's very subjective and I'm not trying to diss the state, it's just the rumor going around (very aware and trusted source). So if you guys can suggest an overall progressive area where folks are chill, I'd really apprecaite it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by floating_narwhal; 01-28-2016 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM

856 posts, read 704,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating_narwhal View Post
Hey,

I just got a job in Warren, NJ and am moving from the west coast to NJ. I'm a 30 year single male and wanted to see if you guys can throw any suggestions for the best place to live?

I know of Montclair, Morristown, Hoboken and Weehawken as good places (most of which were suggested on this forum). Personally, I don't mind an hour commute if love the area and I'm happy. My goal is just to make friends and be around friendly people. I hate stress and am nervous being too close to the city since it seems like you're just bumping into people everywhere.

I've heard from a friend who lives in nyc that there's a lot of racial tension in NJ and I'm central Asian and look some sort of indian to folks (i.e. I can expect to not get service at many bars or entry in some places). I know that's very subjective and I'm not trying to diss the state, it's just the rumor going around (very aware and trusted source). So if you guys can suggest an overall progressive area where folks are chill, I'd really apprecaite it.

Thanks in advance!
I don't spent a lot of time in New Jersey's urban centers, but I can tell you in suburbia there is no real racial tension.

If I were you, I would look into Parsippany. While the highways can great crowded during rush hour, it's not overly crowded in general. The town does have a large Indian-American population, in fact it's a very diverse community. It's a relatively affordable community as well with plenty of housing options. There are plenty of shopping centers and such in town, but there is also a lot of nature. You can be in NYC in 35 minutes, it's about 30-35 minutes from Warren, and four really nice downtowns (Morristown, Boonton, Denville, Madison) are within a 10-15 mile radius.

Of the four towns you mentioned, Morristown is the best in my opinion. If you are looking to rent, you'll find more for your money there than in the other three. While many of the homes and apartments in Morristown are expensive, you'll also find plenty in the $300s and $400s, and taxes will be far lower than in the other communities. I'd leave Weehawken out of your search to be honest, there really isn't a very impressive downtown. Hoboken is nice but way too crowded in my opinion. Montclair is nice and has a lot of cool shops and restaurants. Morristown has a lot of nice bars, restaurants, places to walk, museums, and history.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Didn't even know about Parsippany and that does seem really well located. Do you know if there is a good nightlife scene there, or is one of those places that you would just need to drive a bit to go somewhere?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:16 PM

585 posts, read 492,413 times
Parsippany is very close to Morristown. I wouldn't say Parsippany has a big nightlife scene.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
For real nightlife you're pretty much talking about Hoboken and Jersey City. Montclair is a sort of older nightlife. Any other town with a slightly compact downtown is are generally going to have a few bars here and there with suburban moms drinking red wine and suburban dads drinking IPAs.

At least for stuff that's near the city. If you're a kid here and you want a real night out you're probably going into the city.

While race is complicated, there's not anywhere that's not going to let you into a bar because you look Indian. Any racism certainly be much more subtle and underhanded. I don't see the areas of NJ being any different from NYC as far as race is. It's an issue here the same way it is in the city.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
For real nightlife you're pretty much talking about Hoboken and Jersey City.
This is definitely true. I'd like to add on that if you are going to come out far as Hoboken/JC from where you are. Might as well go little bit of extra mile and hang out at city.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times
Hoboken to Warren would be terrible commute even though you would be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. I wouldn't do it unless night life and bars are your #1 priority.

I'd recommend Somerville, Morristown, and New Brunswick/Somerset/Highland Park (in that order).

Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
This is definitely true. I'd like to add on that if you are going to come out far as Hoboken/JC from where you are. Might as well go little bit of extra mile and hang out at city.
Nightlife is not my main priority. I'd say my goal is more making friends and socializing. Sounds like the city is where everyone seems to head out to. I'd definitely just stay close to Hoboken but that commute really seems a bit much.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Hoboken to Warren would be terrible commute even though you would be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. I wouldn't do it unless night life and bars are your #1 priority.

I'd recommend Somerville, Morristown, and New Brunswick/Somerset/Highland Park (in that order).
Would you mind elaborating on why you'd put Somerville ahead of Morristown and New Brunswick? I can't find much info on the town at all. It's definitely the closest to Warren so I'm not sure if that's the reason why.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:12 PM

728 posts, read 1,964,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

I would disagree. NYC is large a bit of a pain in the ass, I personally prefer Hoboken for nightlife unless your going to a high end club.

I'd recommend towns on the train line, but if your 30 and single you really should just live in hoboken or jc and take 78 west to Warren. If you want to be closer look into Morristown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey