Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 53,282 times

Advertisements

I would try Society Hill in University Heights. They have their own private security that monitors the property 24hrs. It's close to downtown and all the colleges. They keep that area pretty safe. Compared to the rest of Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM

625 posts, read 796,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Sorry, not close.

07104, Forest Hill section in the North Ward would be the best. Strictly residential, though. Restaurants and groceries are on Mt. Prospect Ave at the eastern edge.

And I don't live there, so I'm not biased.

The poster said he wanted city living and wants to be able to walk to places. I love the homes in forest hills but you are on an island over there. Monoculture? How about Bloomfield avenue because 95% Hispanic and very trashy.

I'll take being able to walk to restaurants and the train for under $250k in a new condo over because stuck between sketchy areas.

Mt Prospect is trash. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,011 times
Very interesting info

Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,617,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious201 View Post
Very interesting info
There you have it. People that live in Newark calling it trashy. Need I say more.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM

196 posts, read 648,645 times
Recommend Society Hill for what you are looking for, 24 hour security and walkable to the downtown which is steadily improving. If you ever move out it will be no problem renting it as the demand is high from students in the area. Rutgers, NJIT, formerly UMDNJ (now rutgers).

Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 33,029 times
I lived most of my life in Newark and I know Newark like the back of my hand. If I were to rate the nicest neighborhoods in Newark to buy a house/condo then it would be as follow: Forest Hill, The Ironbound, Downtown, and the Ivy Hill Section. If you are looking for nightlife and restaurants then Ironbound is a good pick with most restaurants, bars, and clubs located along Ferry St. There are many condos developments in this neighborhood.

Forest Hill would probably be the most beautiful and most suburban neighborhood in Newark. The Forest Hill Condos are located here with a light rail nearby that goes to Newark Penn Station. Ivy Hill is very hit or miss. Ironically, it's a mostly quiet neighborhood enclave that happens to be in one of the most dangerous parts of Newark (West Ward). Therefore you might have to drive through some pretty rough streets to get to work etc.

Downtown is the most up and coming neighborhood in Newark. It has had alot development in the last 3 years. There are several condo development here. I would look at Society Hill in downtown Newark. They are townhouse style condos located near all the major colleges and university and also near public transportation (Light Rail/Newark Penn Station)

Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM

88,487 posts, read 84,635,392 times
^Good info. Stick around. Newark questions come up frequently.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 PM

323 posts, read 561,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickCityKid View Post
I lived most of my life in Newark and I know Newark like the back of my hand. If I were to rate the nicest neighborhoods in Newark to buy a house/condo then it would be as follow: Forest Hill, The Ironbound, Downtown, and the Ivy Hill Section. If you are looking for nightlife and restaurants then Ironbound is a good pick with most restaurants, bars, and clubs located along Ferry St. There are many condos developments in this neighborhood.

Forest Hill would probably be the most beautiful and most suburban neighborhood in Newark. The Forest Hill Condos are located here with a light rail nearby that goes to Newark Penn Station. Ivy Hill is very hit or miss. Ironically, it's a mostly quiet neighborhood enclave that happens to be in one of the most dangerous parts of Newark (West Ward). Therefore you might have to drive through some pretty rough streets to get to work etc.

Downtown is the most up and coming neighborhood in Newark. It has had alot development in the last 3 years. There are several condo development here. I would look at Society Hill in downtown Newark. They are townhouse style condos located near all the major colleges and university and also near public transportation (Light Rail/Newark Penn Station)
Thank you so much for this. Is there a map marking off the territories you're speaking of? I've heard of the names before but have no idea about where they begin or end.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 PM

625 posts, read 796,704 times
You can search the Ironbound by the zip code 07105.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 AM

323 posts, read 561,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
You can search the Ironbound by the zip code 07105.
Thank you, this makes it much easier to mark off that territory. My husband and I have been looking at maps of Newark all month long, trying to get a feel for the way the city is set up. It's been good, so now we are going to start driving to Newark regularly to see what the places on our trusted little maps really look like. The problem is, we do not know which territory on the maps corresponds with the names given, such as Forest Hill, ivy Hill, etc etc, so we still really do not know where we are going.

Last edited by LoveMyself; 02-25-2016 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey