Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,020 times

Advertisements

This is my first post, so here goes. I grew up in the North Bergen, WNY area (Hudson County) and currently reside near Rutherford (Bergen County). I am looking to buy a condo/townhouse in the near future (have no interest in owning a house) and I'm checking my options. I want to get back into the city/urban environment not so much the suburbs.
So I was looking into Newark which is nearby and my lady (we have no children but plan to have one) thinks I'm insane for even contemplating that idea. I saw (am seeing) how Jersey City is being turned around and I'm very impressed and hoping Newark is in that direction. But for me the price in JC for a condo is to high (I'm looking to stay in the 350k-420k range) or it doesn't have what I'm looking for (2B/2B) WITH the view of Manhattan.
I've seen some condos for a decent price online. Now viewing something online and actually seeing it in person is something completely different. I went to see 2 listings (one in Polk St, the other in Braod St, off Mount Pleasant/Lower Broadway). And it was run-down. Garbage and dumpsters on the side, graffiti on the walls, suspicious characters lurking around, streets and sidewalks were un-kept. Very unappealing.
But I've heard so many people claim that there is a night life, great restaurants, safe areas (must use street smarts of course.) in Newark, and if there is what areas?
Now before anyone throws at me "well that's what your looking for, that's the city life for you" (as some people have said to me) that necessarily isn't true. An urban/city doesn't mean I have to live in the hood or ghetto. Or should I take my friends advice as he once told me "people are trying to get out of Newark, not move in". Any insight would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I am not an expert on Newark, but some people here do know the neighborhoods. This has been discussed before, and it could also be helpful to search for those threads.

One thing--you mentioned views of the city, but Newark is ten miles from Manhattan, whereas Jersey City is across the river. Views will be harder to find.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Well the two buildings you looked at are in fact in the "nicer" areas of Newark. If you didn't like them, you don't like Newark. Sounds like you're looking for Jersey City or Hoboken but can't afford Jersey City or Hoboken. You'll have to make compromises.

Maybe try Union City/WNY/etc along Blvd East. There are lots of units in your price range, with amazing NYC views, but many are co-ops and will come with very high monthly fees.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM

625 posts, read 797,146 times
Are you only looking for a condo? You want to search the ironbound section or zip code 07105. I live in the ironbound if you have any questions. It's the best section in Newark.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,020 times
Thank you all for your prompt response and input. Appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Listen to your lady friend. 8 murders in the last 36 hours. Try other towns or cities.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM

378 posts, read 586,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Are you only looking for a condo? You want to search the ironbound section or zip code 07105. I live in the ironbound if you have any questions. It's the best section in Newark.
Sorry, not close.

07104, Forest Hill section in the North Ward would be the best. Strictly residential, though. Restaurants and groceries are on Mt. Prospect Ave at the eastern edge.

And I don't live there, so I'm not biased.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
the ironbound is the nicest part

Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM

378 posts, read 586,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
the ironbound is the nicest part
Only if you want to live in an area where you're cheek to jowl with your neighbor, has no parking, no place for your children to play, and is busy and noisy till late at night. Yes, then it's ideal.

But if you want to live in the city in a big, grand old house, with a yard, parking, cool diverse neighbors, and still have quick public transit access to downtown, then look at Forest Hill.

Ironbound is highly overrated, and has a Portugese-speaking monoculture.

Last edited by pruebas; 02-01-2016 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey