Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times

Advertisements

The honor system has been so incredibly abused. How in the world does the light rail stay in service with so many nonpaying riders? I almost never see fare checkers and when I do, dozens of people dart off the train. I am so sick of all the leeches in Hudson county and the resentment that law abiding, tax paying citizens have to take from lazy unions, slimy politicians and people that do not want to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
It stays running because it is a subsidized service. Almost all public transit systems are.

If you care enough about it, do something about it.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM

702 posts, read 540,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
It stays running because it is a subsidized service. Almost all public transit systems are.

If you care enough about it, do something about it.

Worth pointing out that its subsidized far less than the roads are, which are essentially 100% subsidized. Light Rail riders reduce congestion on the roads and reduce pollution. The Light Rail itself attracts residents and businesses.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM

324 posts, read 575,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Worth pointing out that its subsidized far less than the roads are, which are essentially 100% subsidized. Light Rail riders reduce congestion on the roads and reduce pollution. The Light Rail itself attracts residents and businesses.
While I agree that HBLR should be subsidized to a greater extent than roads, your opinions on the current level of subsidies are off. The farebox recovery rate for HBLR is about 33%. Also , while it's more difficult to find stats on road funding, there's no way it's "essentially 100% subsidized." It looks like tolls, gas tax and other user taxes and fees cover more like 50% of the cost of roads in NJ.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM

702 posts, read 540,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
While I agree that HBLR should be subsidized to a greater extent than roads, your opinions on the current level of subsidies are off. The farebox recovery rate for HBLR is about 33%. Also , while it's more difficult to find stats on road funding, there's no way it's "essentially 100% subsidized." It looks like tolls, gas tax and other user taxes and fees cover more like 50% of the cost of roads in NJ.

I believe the GSP and NJTP are the only tolled roads in NJ, and they only pay for themselves. The federal gas tax is a joke at 18.4 cents a gallon. NJ State gas tax is even less at 14.5 cents.

Farebox recovery of HBLR is not really a good metric since NJTransit allows monthly regional ticket holders to ride without additional charge.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Don't worry, it will be free if Bernie Mr. Freestuff wins the election.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM

Yeah, HBLR is first on his list.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
If you feel strongly about this, why don't you write NJT to increase the frequency of fair checking. You can send them a message right of the web site and they usually respond.

HLBR could've been really great system had it been grade separated and did not have to be stuck in traffic with the rest of he cars. I guess also NJT is afraid to run it at a reasonable speed. Similar systems I've ridden in Europe, in Amsterdam and perhaps Munich run almost twice as fast as HLBR.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
I believe the GSP and NJTP are the only tolled roads in NJ, and they only pay for themselves. The federal gas tax is a joke at 18.4 cents a gallon. NJ State gas tax is even less at 14.5 cents.

Farebox recovery of HBLR is not really a good metric since NJTransit allows monthly regional ticket holders to ride without additional charge.
AC Expressway is also tolled, but it's not maintained by the NJ Turnpike Authority as the Parkway and Turnpike are.

Agreed though.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
If you feel strongly about this, why don't you write NJT to increase the frequency of fair checking. You can send them a message right of the web site and they usually respond.

HLBR could've been really great system had it been grade separated and did not have to be stuck in traffic with the rest of he cars. I guess also NJT is afraid to run it at a reasonable speed. Similar systems I've ridden in Europe, in Amsterdam and perhaps Munich run almost twice as fast as HLBR.
To completely grade-separate HBLR, the capital cost would have been four times the actual capital cost for the existing system. It just was not feasible, especially in the 1990s, when Jersey City and Hudson County as a whole was still quite a "gamble" already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey