Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 AM

465 posts, read 607,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear View Post
I'd appreciate if you didn't play that card, Swedish Americans have been extremely successful too. Irish though? Nice joke.
If you look up demographics on this site for the highest represented ethnic groups in the so-called desirable towns discussed on this forum, e.g. Westfield, Ridgewood, Chatham and others, the number one ethnicity is Irish.

Don't be so sensitive Blue Bear. Smile once in a while. I posted here to defend the Italians, not to attack the Vikings. Way too many Vikings sailed to Ireland around 800 to 1200 A.D. and never went home for me to be serious. And Donald Trump thinks Mexican emmigration here is high. My white blonde hair might be related. Well, it's more white than blonde in recent years.

And getting back to the OP, in North and even central jersey, you will find people less prejudiced than in many parts of the world. But you should not force a high school girl or even encourage her to wear a hijab. Let her do that when she gets to college if she really wants to. Few will discriminate based on color or origin, but it is fair to judge jbased on ideas and opinions. If hijabs are such a good idea, men should wear them too. Hijabs are anti-women. Forcing hijabs on girls is one step short of banning education for girls. She will not integrate well with the majority, thiugh there will be plenty of nice people who will see past it. It is a free country though and she certainly will not be attacked. If I wore a giant cross around my neck in certain countries where hijabs are forced on the majority of girls, I would have a good shot at being attacked or, more remotely, beheaded.

I sure hope the OP is not a troll, but you never know.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM

156 posts, read 165,634 times
If you live in NY/NJ area you should accept it the way it is without getting offended. Every immigrant brings culture and value system from his originating country. Settling down in the new land presents many challenges. Most of them face these challenges without the family based support system they had back home. In this journey you build a belief system. However your kids who go to school here in a better position to understand American values and pick what is right from wrong.
After living 16 years in this area I have seen younger generation is tolerant than their parents.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
{Taking a step back with my jaw dropping}
OMG do we agree again? This must stop.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM

15 posts, read 23,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
If you look up demographics on this site for the highest represented ethnic groups in the so-called desirable towns discussed on this forum, e.g. Westfield, Ridgewood, Chatham and others, the number one ethnicity is Irish.

Don't be so sensitive Blue Bear. Smile once in a while. I posted here to defend the Italians, not to attack the Vikings. Way too many Vikings sailed to Ireland around 800 to 1200 A.D. and never went home for me to be serious. And Donald Trump thinks Mexican emmigration here is high. My white blonde hair might be related. Well, it's more white than blonde in recent years.

And getting back to the OP, in North and even central jersey, you will find people less prejudiced than in many parts of the world. But you should not force a high school girl or even encourage her to wear a hijab. Let her do that when she gets to college if she really wants to. Few will discriminate based on color or origin, but it is fair to judge jbased on ideas and opinions. If hijabs are such a good idea, men should wear them too. Hijabs are anti-women. Forcing hijabs on girls is one step short of banning education for girls. She will not integrate well with the majority, thiugh there will be plenty of nice people who will see past it. It is a free country though and she certainly will not be attacked. If I wore a giant cross around my neck in certain countries where hijabs are forced on the majority of girls, I would have a good shot at being attacked or, more remotely, beheaded.

I sure hope the OP is not a troll, but you never know.
Wow you're so original. Vikings? That's all you got? Take a look at this and then talk to me tomorrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_Americans

Many Irish are still living in poverty, so don't give me that nonsense. Go to Dorchester in Boston or Woodlawn in The Bronx, it's laughable how things haven't changed for them one bit. We Swedes have made enormous contributions to the nation, without us - the entire midwest wouldn't be farmed! Also your blonde hair? Look who's talking, you never know, you may of descended from those evil vikings yourself! Then again, having blonde hair doesn't really mean you are Nordic. Light blonde hair, though? Probably. I have light blonde hair myself, and I've yet to know a single individual who is of Irish origin who doesn't have brown/red hair.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
I have a theory. Some will likely disagree but here it goes. Being 30 living in NJ I have honestly not encountered much racism, truly judging someone based upon their race alone. Kids go to college, meet people of all races and it opens their eyes, just like how homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted across the board. Now a days I do not think racism is based nearly as much on the color of the persons skin as much as it is based upon the way a person carries themselves, and at that point its not really racism at all.

My example:
If I'm walking through a city street at night with not many people around and I see a well dressed man in a suit walking toward me speaking on his cell phone very well articulated discussing the movement of the stock market that day.. I'm not going to feel the least bit unsafe, doesn't matter if he is black, white, brown, blue, yellow, green, periwinkle, etc. Same situation, only this time the guy walking toward me has his pants falling off his backside, hes wearing a sweatshirt with the hood up, hes got tattoos on his neck and a gun printed on his shirt. It doesn't mater what race he is I'm going to feel uncomfortable.. Not because of the color of his skin, but because of how he is presenting himself. If you dress, speak and act a certain way people around you will respond a certain way.

In OP situation the only thing I might say is school children can be very cruel. The hijab could bring some negative attention from other children almost anywhere, the good news is schools are not going to let that last very long and the little turds that give her a hard time will end up in deep trouble real fast. She'll be shy and scared of the change for a while, but I'm sure she'll make great friends. All the best of luck to you and your family!

P.S. I grew up in an area of south jersey where I would honestly say 95% of students in our school system growing up were white, in high school we had 2 sisters transfer in who wore hijabs and they never had any problems what so ever an made plenty of friends, and this was back in the late 90s.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear View Post
Wow you're so original. Vikings? That's all you got? Take a look at this and then talk to me tomorrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_Americans

Many Irish are still living in poverty, so don't give me that nonsense. Go to Dorchester in Boston or Woodlawn in The Bronx, it's laughable how things haven't changed for them one bit. We Swedes have made enormous contributions to the nation, without us - the entire midwest wouldn't be farmed! Also your blonde hair? Look who's talking, you never know, you may of descended from those evil vikings yourself! Then again, having blonde hair doesn't really mean you are Nordic. Light blonde hair, though? Probably. I have light blonde hair myself, and I've yet to know a single individual who is of Irish origin who doesn't have brown/red hair.
Let me introduce myself. I am 75% Irish and 2% Scandinavian (I did a DNA test) and have very light blond hair, inherited from my dad who was more Irish than myself. Carry on.

I'm finding this thread diversion pretty hysterical btw.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Blue Bear - you have now missed the point of all three of my posts. Dialogue requires comprehension. It also helps if you do not make stuff up. Woodlawn has young, educated immigrants with many of them studying in colleges such as fordham or working in manhattan proper. Dorchester is a blue collar town, and there's nothing wrong with blue-collar but most Irish have left those jobs behind. Poverty? Sorry Charlie, go find some Swedes or Scotch-Irish in Appalachia if you are looking for that.

Well if Swedish-Americans and Irish-Americans can't get along, maybe it proves there is no vast caucasian conspiracy that unfairly targets princeton professors who break the law and don't pay their parking tickets. Good luck Blue Bear.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Let me introduce myself. I am 75% Irish and 2% Scandinavian (I did a DNA test) and have very light blond hair, inherited from my dad who was more Irish than myself. Carry on.

I'm finding this thread diversion pretty hysterical btw.
Yes, thank you Tahiti for getting my point. i was shooting for funny, but I'll happily share hysterical with Lars, who has never met a black or blonde haired Irish person.

tell me more about this DNA test.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 AM

323 posts, read 562,088 times
If it's in NJ, and the city population is more than 60% white, it's racist (I'm not even comfortable with that number). Please save your child the pain and look elsewhere. My recommendation is to stay in areas that have less than a 60% white population.

Research, research, research. You're better off in Hudson or Essex counties

Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM

323 posts, read 562,088 times
And let's be real... Unless the area is predom white... You're not going to get what would be classified as a"good school district". It is up to you and your daughter to make school good. In diverse areas the schools are "worse" because among other things...

Racism.

So it's either diversity and higher racial safety or all of the things that white America classifies as good... In typical white America.

You have to make a choice.

There are good schools in diverse areas though. They just wont be graded as such among the "masses".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey