Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 01:42 PM

482 posts, read 728,478 times

Advertisements

My contractor is filing a permit for a gut bathroom reno. He said the permit will typically take a month. I would like to start ordering some lead time items, especially if i could obtain labor day sales, that way things start arriving ahead of time.

He said this is normal practice, and I shouldnt worry about. Is that accurate?

(I dont want to call the town as I have bothered them a bit too often on other things)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:57 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Is the ordering things while waiting on a permit accurate or the time for a permit accurate?

Are you buying the fixtures yourselves or is your contractor doing it? Your contractor's pricing is not going to be affected by Labor Day sales. And if you're doing the buying directly then why would they care when you get things?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM

"Is the ordering things while waiting on a permit" normal?

We are buying the fixtures and tile ourselves. I am saying is it common / safe to start ordering these things before the permit is approved? Or do these permits sometimes get denied? I could shave 2-3 weeks off the completion time, and save money, by ordering everything now, as I am waiting for the permit, and also get labor day pricing.

But if the permit gets denied, I dont want to have to return a cast iron tub, toilet, tiles, etc. etc. and pay for return shipping etc....

Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM

625 posts, read 796,919 times
Buy your fixtures on ebay. you can find Moen and all the big names discounted and no sales tax.

1 month for permits is normal.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

^^I found the best deals on Houzz, etc. and other online companies. Everything but the tile is online. Which is why i really want to order before the permit is approved. Many of my selections were picked because of sales price, and limited inventory. If i wait a couple weeks, my 50% off vanity may be out of inventory, and I may need to start redesigning / returning other items, etc.

Anyway...I guess the question is, whats the probability that a bathroom permit gets denied? And am I crazy for ordering things ahead of time?

Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You are not crazy for ordering things beforehand. See what return policies are like (watch out for those 25% restocking fees!), but it's unlikely that a decent contractor is going to have a permit denied.

Worst case you can sell it on Craigslist later on (hint, you should check craigslist first) and take a bit of a loss but at least get rid of stuff you couldn't use.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You are not crazy for ordering things beforehand. See what return policies are like (watch out for those 25% restocking fees!), but it's unlikely that a decent contractor is going to have a permit denied.

Worst case you can sell it on Craigslist later on (hint, you should check craigslist first) and take a bit of a loss but at least get rid of stuff you couldn't use.
unless you are doing something crazy, your permits are 99.99% guaranteed, so no reason to wait. If you wait, then your project will be delayed yet another month

Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 AM

280 posts, read 338,884 times
Order your items ASAP. You'll be amazed how many things are out of stock, come in wrong or damaged. Any household renovation items will cause you more problems than a typical Amazon order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey