Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 PM

12 posts, read 15,061 times

Advertisements

Hello All

My girlfriend just recently took a job in Manhattan and I myself am also closing in on a job there. We are looking to move from Central Jersey to closer to the wall street NY area in June. Manhattan is a bit out of our range at the moment and Queens the commute is to far it would be like staying in New Jersey. So we are looking for advice on some good areas in Jersey that are relatively safe and the commute will be under 30 minutes by bus, have a good school system as she has a son in high school. The commute is not toooo far from Manhattan. We looking for an area filled with lots of young business type professionals. We are both in our mid to late 30's. We just need a two bedroom apartment. Furnished or not does not matter. With apartments for two bedrooms around $1400 to $1700 which would be about our range. Does anyone recommend any areas to look or places in particular. Or even the best ways to search as well. Like what papers you recommend we look in? and such

Thank you in Advance, James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:16 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
An under-30 minute by bus commute to Wall Street would most likely be Staten Island... that's how long it takes my coworkers who live there. I can't think of anywhere in NJ where you could get that. i'd suggest Rutherford but that's a minimum of 45-1 hour to the WTC area where I work

Old 02-17-2016, 04:42 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I am not sure if it will make a big difference but can you explain why it has to be by bus? Train is an option as well. Seriously though , 30 minutes is pretty tough by either way realistically. Is it bus because the job is midtown?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:15 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Yes, that 30-minute commute with good schools and low rent thing has become almost a joke on this forum because it's so unrealistic, yet so many people think it exists. It's wishful thinking and a waste of time.

Make the commute 45 to an hour, and people can give you suggestions in that rent range for real. Rutherford is indeed a good option, but the desire to commute by bus rather than train is perplexing, especially for downtown. From the Bergen County Line station in Rutherford, one can easily get to Hoboken then a short hop by PATH or ferry to WTC, while someone with a job in Midtown simply makes the easy transfer at Secaucus. I can't think of any reason someone would rather be stuck in LT or HT traffic sucking in bus exhaust.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM

12 posts, read 15,061 times
Bus does not matter its just what I wrote. and for her is wall street considered midtown?

Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 AM

220 posts, read 379,548 times
Wall Street is downtown, and I agree w/ everyone that 30min is unrealistic. Heck, it pretty much takes 30min to get to Wall Street from most areas even when living IN Manhattan.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 AM

596 posts, read 895,878 times
The only place that can be done in your budget is Journal Square in Jersey City. Journal Square - WTC (11 minutes via PATH).

Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
The only place that can be done in your budget is Journal Square in Jersey City. Journal Square - WTC (11 minutes via PATH).
But the high schools are pretty terrible.

Rutherford won't get you there in 30 minutes. It took me 42 minutes from door to Hoboken PATH platform from most parts of town, then you have the ride into WTC plus walking to the building when you get out at WTC. Realistically, you're looking at 1 hour door to door from most of the train towns to WTC, at least.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
But the high schools are pretty terrible.

Rutherford won't get you there in 30 minutes. It took me 42 minutes from door to Hoboken PATH platform from most parts of town, then you have the ride into WTC plus walking to the building when you get out at WTC. Realistically, you're looking at 1 hour door to door from most of the train towns to WTC, at least.
If the kid is academically inclined McNair and High Tech High HS are a few of the best. If not, I agree with you.

Last edited by tahiti; 02-17-2016 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabruno27 View Post
Bus does not matter its just what I wrote. and for her is wall street considered midtown?
OK, that just made my head do a 360. Didn't expect that from someone who is from NJ! Wall Street is down near the southern tip of Manhattan, where New York began back when it was a Dutch colony called Nieuw Amsterdam. The people running the little village back then got everyone who lived there to help build a wall to keep out Indians--hence the name of the street. Of course, in the past four hundred years, the city spread north across the entire island, but still--you should be familiar with the basic geography of Manhattan--a long, skinny island directly
east of northern New Jersey.

If you are going to move up that way and work there, you need to look at a basic map of Manhattan that includes the northeastern side of NJ and see where towns and railroad lines, etc., are in relation to the city.

Here is one tool that is helpful--a map that gives approximate commute times to MIDTOWN (NY Penn).

The New York Times > New York Region > Image > Travel Times on Commuter Rail

Here is the Jersey Transit Rail Map:

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

And here are some basic NYC area maps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Map+...VlLDRVU-RlM%3A

See how Manhattan sort of runs ALONGSIDE North Jersey? And how you have to cross a mile-wide river to get to Manhattan? That's the problem with the commute time. About 250K people are trying to cross that same river--by bridge or by tunnel, whether in cars or in trains, or by ferry--at the same time every weekday. Things get a little backed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey