Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
BTW, NJs threshold for estate taxes is the lowest in the nation at $675k (NY is $3.125m and rising to over $5m). A gargantuan reason people flee the state as well as they begin thinking about their estates. At $675k I don't even know if it can be called an estate.

CC has proposed the elimination of this ridiculous tax but of course he has been met with opposition.

The inheritance tax is a bigger problem. It starts at $500 for anybody but your spouse, children, or grandchildren. If your brother leaves for Florida and leaves you (still in NJ) money in his will, you will pay taxes on the amount over $500.

The reasons for the departure of Millennials is not really defined in the article referenced above. Does that include students going to college outside NJ? There are not many 18-22 year olds with undergrad degrees or major earning potential. Including them in the survey is disingenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM

90 posts, read 145,385 times
Quote:
BTW, NJs threshold for estate taxes is the lowest in the nation at $675k (NY is $3.125m and rising to over $5m). A gargantuan reason people flee the state as well as they begin thinking about their estates. At $675k I don't even know if it can be called an estate.

CC has proposed the elimination of this ridiculous tax but of course he has been met with opposition.
Thatsn ot true..there are states with no property/income tax/inheritance tax....

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwitdontshowit View Post
Thatsn ot true..there are states with no property/income tax/inheritance tax....
Huh? The threshold being the lowest in the nation means the inheritance tax KICKS IN at the lowest level. It doesn't mean the tax is the lowest in the nation. Quite the opposite. It hits almost anyone with any acquired lifetime equity.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM

90 posts, read 145,385 times
Quote:
Huh? The threshold being the lowest in the nation means the inheritance tax KICKS IN at the lowest level. It doesn't mean the tax is the lowest in the nation. Quite the opposite. It hits almost anyone with any acquired lifetime equity.
Thanks for clarifying

Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM

230 posts, read 259,148 times
Jersey is a ****ing piece of ****

Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 AM

325 posts, read 582,750 times
Just lower my taxes and give me the right to carry, and I'd love to live out my life here in Sussex County.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
Jersey is a ****ing piece of ****
From the Minneapolis-St. Paul forum, shawnj said: "Its very hard to do and my generation is absolutely screwed in the head."

Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM

230 posts, read 259,148 times
lol yea and I'm not though

Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 22,235 times
HA I am from NY and took a job in Tampa. I tell you it was the worst decision I have ever made in my life.

Where do i begin...
The electric and water prices are completely out of control down in Tampa. Forget going to a fish market too.
People making bread should never be allowed back into the bakery. the bread is disgusting.
Schools are a disaster, ugly fat and uneducated workforce here, there are very limited job opportunities,
like I sad I was brought down for an IT company, and I hook a huge salary hit, because I stupidly thought
costs were lower here. I couldn't have been more wrong.

the kids have a month left and they are finished with school we are out of this horrible place back to NJ with pleasure

All the florida fans you know what I wrote is true so don't waste time rebuking what I said

Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens007 View Post
HA I am from NY and took a job in Tampa. I tell you it was the worst decision I have ever made in my life.

Where do i begin...
The electric and water prices are completely out of control down in Tampa. Forget going to a fish market too.
People making bread should never be allowed back into the bakery. the bread is disgusting.
Schools are a disaster, ugly fat and uneducated workforce here, there are very limited job opportunities,
like I sad I was brought down for an IT company, and I hook a huge salary hit, because I stupidly thought
costs were lower here. I couldn't have been more wrong.

the kids have a month left and they are finished with school we are out of this horrible place back to NJ with pleasure

All the florida fans you know what I wrote is true so don't waste time rebuking what I said
I thought about FL over 10 years ago, but didn't like the idea after research because of people like you said the same thing.

It's about bunch of outsourcing chop shops down there that outsources jobs from all parts of the country are down there because of no state taxes.

When you look at the housing market down there and even up to now in Tampa, a lot of homes are foreclosed when they hit over $300k but are really worth under $200k and the only people flocking down there are Indian people being hired for IT jobs. If you are really well paid down there you can live in an expensive town and have better school but those are like gated communities. There are folks down there doing what I do and making 1/2 of what I make, sure things are cheaper but not that much cheaper when you look at the value overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey