Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I wish I were a trooper, I could use the OT, college tuition coming up for kids. Let's be honest here though. Most people do 80 MPH on the parkway and the troopers don't even pull you over. Years ago I used to work radar and I set the radar gun at 30MPH over the limit. So everyone under that speed got a break. And I had plenty of fish to fry that proceeded to drive OVER 30 MPH above the speed limit and I couldn't keep up with ticketing them. Now if you live in say Virginia I don't think the troopers are giving many breaks to people driving 75-80 on the interstates. So if you do get a speeding ticket you deserve it. JMO. Jersey Man
JM and I are having a lovefest today . I agree with you. Last week I saw a ton of troopers on 80 West around Rockaway, I was going 65-70mph and was fine. My normal speed is around 80 when possible (keep it on the DL, please), but I do it knowing if I get pulled over, it's my own damn fault. Personal responsibility, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 02:54 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,908 times
Default Good news....

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Starting today, New Jersey will launch a 30 day speeding ticket
frenzy.
The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in
speeding
tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime. There will
be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 9 main
intersections and highways. They are the following:

> I-295 north and south
> 1-95 (Jersey Turnpike) north and south
> 1-80 east and west
> I-287 north and south
> I-78 east and west
> 1-195 east and west
> 1-280 east and west
> Rt. 130 north and south
> Garden State Parkway north and south

5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is
supposed to pull a car over and w rite a ticket every 10 to 20
minutes.
They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and are
bringing in all of their part timers on full time. If you work in NJ,
NY, DE or CT you will probably take one of these highways. It's up to
you how fast you are going when they clock you.

101.5 FM confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding
tickets are on you.

Driving Ticket fine increase in NJ:

Starting on August 15th, the price of a ticket for violation of NJ
Law39:3-29 (failure to show your driver's license, registration, or
insurance card at the time you are stopped) is going from $44.00 to
$173.00. Please make sure your vehicles have the proper documents in
them. If you jump in the car to run to the store and forget your
wallet
with your license in it and you are stopped.... Oh well... you just
spent $173. And the fine for not having all three documents is $519!!!

Forward to people in NJ, and let them know of this change. And be
careful, the fine for hand held cell phone use while driving will be
going

up to $180.00.

---

_____
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE. I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHO IS A NJSP TROOPER IN SUSSEX COUNTY AND I RECEIVED THIS SAME THING VIA EMAIL. I FORWARDED IT ON TO HIM AND HE ADVISED ME THAT IT IS TOTALLY FALSE. HE BASICALLY SAID THEY ARE SHORT ON MANPOWER, THEY DO NOT HAVE NEW VEHICLES AND A GOOD PERCENTAGE FROM THE FINES THEY COLLECT ACTUALLY GOES TO THE TOWN OR CITY WHERE THE FINE WAS ISSUED. I DON'T KNOW WHO 101.5 CONFIRMED THIS WITH BUT IT SURE WASN'T NJSP.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE. I HAVE A GOOD FRIEND WHO IS A NJSP TROOPER IN SUSSEX COUNTY AND I RECEIVED THIS SAME THING VIA EMAIL. I FORWARDED IT ON TO HIM AND HE ADVISED ME THAT IT IS TOTALLY FALSE. HE BASICALLY SAID THEY ARE SHORT ON MANPOWER, THEY DO NOT HAVE NEW VEHICLES AND A GOOD PERCENTAGE FROM THE FINES THEY COLLECT ACTUALLY GOES TO THE TOWN OR CITY WHERE THE FINE WAS ISSUED. I DON'T KNOW WHO 101.5 CONFIRMED THIS WITH BUT IT SURE WASN'T NJSP.
No offense,but I think there's sort of a 'code' with police not to confirm nor deny things like this. Besides I don't think any of those 'checkpoints' cover Sussex county anyway

Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,974 times
Default that is ture

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I wish they cared that much about speeding here in PA!
(Psst if ya feel like speeding do it here,there's no one around)
This is ture , in Pa and Upstate NY Also I use to work with a girl she lived in Toms river she would fly down the GSP when there was no traffic. She Told me a Trooper stopped her and said she was doning 90 I what were you she said I guess .She even got speeding fines from EZpass

Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
This is ture , in Pa and Upstate NY Also I use to work with a girl she lived in Toms river she would fly down the GSP when there was no traffic. She Told me a Trooper stopped her and said she was doning 90 I what were you she said I guess .She even got speeding fines from EZpass
you cannot get speeding fine from ezpass in NJ, maybe she should learn to slow down a bit

Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And the bit about documents, from experience, if you get a ticket for not having the docs, just bring the docs to court, and the fine is dropped. I was pulled over in Newark last year and my insurance card was expired (I had insurance, but forgot to replace the card in my wallet). I brought the new card to court and the fine was dropped. As for the illegal turn I made, well I had to pay for that one.
Sorry, not always true. I was stopped and didn't have my docs and I ended up paying over $500 in fines.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 40,966 times
Default Speeding, etc.

The fine for failure to exhibit documents actually went up to $173 in Aug '06.
Also, no O/T for court; there's no reason to write for that purpose. If you see lots of troops on the road, it's a power day- shifts overlap on those days.
No quotas, just station averages.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
The state is so bankrupt now, that it doesn't have enough money in it's treasury to buy a case of Meister Brau. How in the world are they going to foot the OT bill for troopers? I agree with FF18Wife. You can probably speed with inpunity right now on the roads because of the lack of money in the state budget. I remember when I was driving down the AC Expressway last Labor Day weekend, and I did not see a single police officer the entire way. I felt like I was driving through Arizona (a state where I've never seen a state police car). Contrast that to the 1980s, when I used this road and the GSP there seemed to be a speed trap every 27 feet. Not anymore.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post

EZpass speeding fines???
I know for sure that's not true because I know how fast my husband drives, the ezpass is in my name and nope ,nada not 1 speeding ticket. We've used ezpass in NJ, NY, MA, DE, VA..the day that happens is the day many would turn in their ez passes and we know the states don't want that

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And the bit about documents, from experience, if you get a ticket for not having the docs, just bring the docs to court, and the fine is dropped. I was pulled over in Newark last year and my insurance card was expired (I had insurance, but forgot to replace the card in my wallet). I brought the new card to court and the fine was dropped. As for the illegal turn I made, well I had to pay for that one.
Were the tickets for failure to exhibit license or registration? When I was a patrol officer if you could not show me a valid insurance card, your car would be going to the impound lot. Come to court with valid insurance and the summons would be amended to failure to exhibit. I know there are plenty of police officers out there that will write no insurance card in possession. Why they do that is beyond me. The liability of letting you drive away after a traffic stop where you can't prove that you have valid insurance is great. I always rememeber what one of my academy instructors used to preach to us.
"You stop a motorist for a violation, the motorist has no insurance card in possession, therefore he can't prove that he has valid insurance. You give the motorist a summons for no insurance card. The motorist now drives down the road into the next town, runs a red light and hits a car full of girl scouts, 2 of those girl scouts die from injuries. An officer from the town that the crash was in is doing a subsequent accident investigation and notes that there are 2 summonses issued to the driver of that vehicle from earlier that day. One of those summonses was for not having an insurance card. Now if that motorist truely didn't have insurance and you let him drive away, who do you think will be named as a defendant in the subsequent lawsuits?"
By the way Newark traffic court is so loose, I've seen people come to court with insurance policies that were written after the violation and the judge would accept them. Left turn in Newark..could that be Market Street?

Last edited by exhdo1; 02-12-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey