U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:06 AM

110 posts, read 140,301 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 2 years old. Here in Hackensack, I was told that she can go to preschool after turning 3. We are debating whether it is worth sending her to daycare for a year before she joins preschool. Can you please advice?

Just to give some backgroud:
My wife is a stay at home mom and is happy to take care of her until she starts preschool. We are both from India.

We are mainly looking for three things - (1) To ease the sudden transition from home environment to preschool. (2) Improve English. We tend to speak our mother tongue at home. (3) provide an environment to mingle/play with other kids and learn to share. She is shy by nature and can be possessive at times.

Also, any suggestions for good day care providers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM

9,217 posts, read 18,489,420 times
Can she go 2 or 3 days a week (Half Days),

Would give you most thing you are looking form. Gives her a break, so she can do shopping, run errands, etc. Get you a slot for Pre-School when she of age, If that place is slot constrained, Kids moving up from Daycare would get 1st dibs, before other who are there hat have not.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 PM

462 posts, read 425,347 times
I think the part time transition is a good idea. I wouldn't worry too much about the sharing, at 2 YO few children freely share.

Personally I am not a day care fan in general, though some of them are quite good. IMO there is no substitute for taking care of your own child the first couple of years. I would wait until she is 3 then try part time, transistioning to full time gradually as she acclimates. But no right or wrong answer, that is just what worked for me.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM

514 posts, read 837,742 times
My son started daycare last Sept at almost age 2. It took him about a month and half to transition to full time daycare and maybe 2-3 months to nap consistently there. He LOVES going to school now. Every morning he'll jump up from his crib and tell me "I go school!" and sometimes on weekends he is a little dismayed when we tell him it's too cold to go out anywhere. I'm not sure what exactly he loves about going to school--whether it's all the different activities throughout the day, the other kids, the school toys, or some combination--but seeing him so happy makes me happy.

Before he went to school, I had a wonderful nanny watching him during the day and I can tell you that while I don't regret giving him the extra care and attention, his confidence and energy has just exploded since going to school. We're planning to send new baby to school a lot earlier now as a result of viewing the positive effect in my son.

Edit: to comment on the language thing. My son didn't understand any English before going to school. His teachers say he still has some trouble communicating with them, but it's gotten a lot better over the last month or so. He rarely responds to us in his native tongue but strongly prefers to respond in English now, even though he can understand us

Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,511,303 times
This discussion is more suited for Parenting sub forum. But in any case, my son is in day care part time starting at 15 months and full time starting at 18 months. Before that he was with a nanny and before that of course with my wife. He is an outgoing, high energy, social boy and was driving the nanny absolutely crazy. He has thrived in day care, learned to speak in about three months after starting there. Almost at the same time he learned to eat himself, clean up and share toys, etc. We were very happy. And of course he was watching a lot less TV since the day care does not have any. I would not trust any day care that does have a TV...

The downside of course is that he was getting sick a lot for the first two years. However, now at 4 and a half years he hardly gets sick. So I think a good day care facility without TV can really do a lot of good...

Old 02-19-2016, 01:42 PM

29,023 posts, read 27,997,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
My daughter is 2 years old. Here in Hackensack, I was told that she can go to preschool after turning 3. We are debating whether it is worth sending her to daycare for a year before she joins preschool. Can you please advice?

Just to give some backgroud:
My wife is a stay at home mom and is happy to take care of her until she starts preschool. We are both from India.

We are mainly looking for three things - (1) To ease the sudden transition from home environment to preschool. (2) Improve English. We tend to speak our mother tongue at home. (3) provide an environment to mingle/play with other kids and learn to share. She is shy by nature and can be possessive at times.

Also, any suggestions for good day care providers?
i chose to not send my child to preschool when he was two. he didn't demonstrate any desire to want be away from home or play with groups of children.

1) preschool is meant to ease the transition to kindergarden.

2) you and your wife can choose to speak to her in english more often. do yo read to her?

3) children are very posessive. one of my son's favorite words was "mine". when there are a group of children, they become more posessive because the others don't want to or haven't learned to share.

teach your daughter how to share and take turns. perhaps your wife can find a play group to join once a week.

to me, your daughter is still a baby and shouldn't be forced to enter a world of strangers. she'll have to deal that for the rest of her life. i would let her enjoy her time at home with her mother for as long as she can.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:22 PM

227 posts, read 269,229 times
You can start doing all these things without sending her to daycare. Paydates and events at the library are plenty at hackensack and maywood. However if you still wish to i would recommend start in summers and 2-3 hrs 2 to 3 times a week is enough. My daughter has been going to a full time daycare since she was 18m old and they really dont do much till they turn 3 lol

Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,721,592 times
My kid has been in daycare since 6 months old. I couldnt be happier with the experience. I drop him off now and all the kids in his class (18-26) months old all know his name and run to the door. They all play together, the teachers are amazing. When we go to birthday parties you can tell kids who go to school and those who dont (they dont leave their moms leg). You do what you gotta do, and i'm not trying to slam anyones choice to stay at home parent, but i think the socialization aspect cant be dismissed.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 PM

139 posts, read 184,218 times
A child at that age will learn English very quickly once they go to pre school and or kindergarten.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM

110 posts, read 140,301 times
Thanks for all the replies. They are all very useful.

We will start in the summer and explore the option of sending her for small number of hours initially and then switch to full time.

flyonpa: Your point on getting first dibs for a preschool slot is interesting. We never thought about it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: