Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 PM

323 posts, read 562,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
My issue is that there's no accountability. Our tax payer dollars just get constantly wasted and there are very little to results to show for our money. Nobody wants third world school conditions but if we gave less they would make do. 750 millions dollars in an insane amount and it's just throwing money down an endless pit. At some point we all need to wake up and realize we are being robbed.
You are being robbed.... By your state officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:52 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Why would they deserve more state money on a per-pupil basis than any other community? What about being poor makes them more deserving?

You don't believe that the government has an obligation to help desperately poor people with broken families? I don't see the point of arguing with you then. Fortunately, I don't think this heartless attitude is shared by most of Americans.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Math, math, math. Statistics, statistics, statistics. The main reason they get 60% of the funding is that they are larger districts (in the instance of place like Newark Jersey City much, much larger). Even if funding was the same across the board per student that statistic would seem shocking.

That same article shows an average per pupil of $20,859 for Abbott districts and $17,051 for non-Abbott districts. That's a difference of under $4000 per pupil. 20% difference. The numbers as you presented make it seem like there is a 10-fold difference in per pupil costs.

I think most people here think that the children in the poorest districts, most of which located in the NJ ghettoes, AKA "cities" do not deserve any extra help. Let them just do the best they can do and remain poor. Then the same people complain about why there is no improvement in NJ ghettoes and why NJ is not a popular state with employers.

If I were you, I would be raging about ridiculous defense spending, ridiculous corporate tax laws that allow biggest corporations not to pay any tax, Capital gains loophole that benefits millionaires, etc. Instead they are complaining about school aid to the poor.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 AM

789 posts, read 702,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think most people here think that the children in the poorest districts, most of which located in the NJ ghettoes, AKA "cities" do not deserve any extra help. Let them just do the best they can do and remain poor. Then the same people complain about why there is no improvement in NJ ghettoes and why NJ is not a popular state with employers.

If I were you, I would be raging about ridiculous defense spending, ridiculous corporate tax laws that allow biggest corporations not to pay any tax, Capital gains loophole that benefits millionaires, etc. Instead they are complaining about school aid to the poor.
This is a talking point that has no basis in truth beyond a few anecdotal examples. It truly is amazing to see people actually believe this. I could post the actual facts on who pays taxes, but I'm pretty sure those facts are meaningless when you've convinced yourself otherwise.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
Math, math, math. Statistics, statistics, statistics. The main reason they get 60% of the funding is that they are larger districts (in the instance of place like Newark Jersey City much, much larger). Even if funding was the same across the board per student that statistic would seem shocking.

That same article shows an average per pupil of $20,859 for Abbott districts and $17,051 for non-Abbott districts. That's a difference of under $4000 per pupil. 20% difference. The numbers as you presented make it seem like there is a 10-fold difference in per pupil costs.
No. That 20% difference is in total funding. State funding is much different. They try to hide state aid per pupil, but you can find enrollment figures in the Taxpayer's Guide to Education and total funding under State Aid. When you put them together you find East Orange and Newark getting about $17,000 in per pupil funding, while West Orange gets $1000 and Millburn gets $400. So, yeah, the difference isn't 10-fold. It's over 40-fold.

The Abbott districts, getting 60% of the funding, have about 22% of the pupils. 40% of the funding is spread over the other 78% of the pupils.

Last edited by nybbler; 02-25-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I don't think most posters here think that at all.

I believe the issue is whose hands the money ends up in and how it's "distributed". Huge amounts of NJ state tax payer dollars (and federal tax payer dollars) earmarked for EDUCATION get sent to Newark. Year after year after year after year and with what types of improvement? Prettier schools? Higher teacher salaries? How does it benefit the students? Does it make them "smarter"? More motivated? Does the graduation rate increase? I just read an article that stated the HS graduation rate in Newark is 61%. That's pretty sad.

Is it the school system? Is it the parents?

If it's the parents (or lack of) and the broken homes and the gangs and the poverty....how is tossing so much money year after at the school system going to fix student specific home life issues?

One of the most ridiculous issues with Zuckerberg's 100M donation to Newark is that the district had to hire consultants to the tune of millions to figure out how to best spend the money. Why didn't the "education PTB" in Newark already know where their schools are lacking?

Quote:
This thread isn't about corporations, capital gain taxes or loopholes or the 1%. It's not even about the 10% or the "rich" who make 250K a year.

It's about the fact that hundreds of millions of tax dollars are still going to this specific Abbot district and where are the results? Where is the accountability?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
.......The Abbott districts, getting 60% of the funding, have about 22% of the pupils. 40% of the funding is spread over the other 78% of the pupils.
Unfortunately, too many NJ'ians haven't caught on to that fact or they would work to change things.

Over the years, whenever the subject of taxes come up and I mention Abbott Schools, all too often I've gotten the deer-in-the headlights look.

Good for politicians and tax takers but bad for the non-Abbott taxpayers.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:05 AM

789 posts, read 702,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Unfortunately, too many NJ'ians haven't caught on to that fact or they would work to change things.

Over the years, whenever the subject of taxes come up and I mention Abbott Schools, all too often I've gotten the deer-in-the headlights look.

Good for politicians and tax takers but bad for the non-Abbott taxpayers.
They haven't caught on bc as another poster correctly framed it: they don't know the gory details. Which is pretty typical when government robs you blind.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
I KNOW I've asked this before but does anyone know how much of our taxes go to Abbott districts? My prop tax bill shows % to my primary grade district, HS district (they are separate), county and local tax. My county has no Abbott districts. So it must come from my state income tax. But does anyone know %? I'm truly curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey