Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcheekssia View Post
what is her specialty? soft, flowing hair or hard, plastic hair?

i'm a doobie gal myself.

thanks!
I didn't know what a doobie was until someone on this forum explained it lol I thought it was drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 PM

47 posts, read 256,146 times
that's funny...when i moved here from the midwest, we called them Roller Wraps. lol

Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM

47 posts, read 256,146 times
can anyone reccommend a salon in North Jersey: Jersey City, Union City, Weehawken, Guttenberg, Hoboken, West New York?

i'm new this way and i'm leaving an awesome stylist and an awesome Dominican salon.

i'd like to have options.

i'm into soft, flowing hair...healthy. i love a doobie and a blowout.

thanks!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcheekssia View Post
can anyone reccommend a salon in North Jersey: Jersey City, Union City, Weehawken, Guttenberg, Hoboken, West New York?

i'm new this way and i'm leaving an awesome stylist and an awesome Dominican salon.

i'd like to have options.

i'm into soft, flowing hair...healthy. i love a doobie and a blowout.

thanks!
You must go to Burjazz...Tamika is fabuluos!! She knows how to deal with all sorts of hair. Burjazz is located in Maplewood..dont know the number right now..but dial 411. She's awesome (used to do celebrity hair at MTV back in the day)..she is amazing when it comes to looking fabulous..but most importantly..hair care. She's great..you will not be disappointed..guaranteed!

Tell her Trish referred you!

Last edited by TrishP7; 07-17-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM

148 posts, read 639,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringChick View Post
Can anyone recommend any African American hair salons near Moorestown and the surrounding areas? I recently decided to go natural and I am looking for a hairstylist while I am in the area for my summer internship. Any recommendations are WELL-welcomed!
You may be better off doing your own hair...im also natural and could recommend products and tips to you if you have specific questions....also check out

Nappturality:African-American, Black Natural Hair Care - Love Your Natural Hair and the fotki pages of a couple of girls...could help you with the trial and error of doing your hair

About Honesty Updates* 7/9* | Fotki.com
About Naturaldelta04 *UPDATES!* | Fotki.com

I honestly cant stand going to the salon

Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Just a question with no offense intended, does it really matter who owns the salon as long as the stylists know the specialty?
Well, usually hair places that are not owned by people of color don't know how to do the hair of people of color and don't want to know........

Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,546 times
I need an African Amerian hair stylist that can do weaves in central nj

Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,045 times
If you're willing to travel to the city Marvin Carrington at MacStyle in New York is amazing. I've been going to him for more than 8 years. His price list is on his site [url=http://www.macstyle.net]Hair Salon New York-Hair Colorist-MacStyle Hair Designs[/url]. He can be a bit pricey, but it's worth it! I use to live in NJ and it was worth going into the new york city.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Well, usually hair places that are not owned by people of color don't know how to do the hair of people of color and don't want to know........
Dumb question, but isn't learning how to do all types of hair part of getting a cosmetology license?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Dumb question, but isn't learning how to do all types of hair part of getting a cosmetology license?
Not sure, but I know it was not a requirement in the past. Many stylists and barbers simply refused to even accept clients who had African-textured and/or curly hair, partly because they didn't want their customers using the same implements and partly because they just didn't know how to do this type of hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey