Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:56 PM

13 posts, read 99,468 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to North Jersey but I'm not sure where-I'm originally from Queens/LI and I have to admit, Jersey is like a foreign country to me I'm a 27 year old female and I work in Manhattan-- I'm in a long distance relationship, so I'm looking for a safe area where I could live by myself- I'd prefer something close to the city (about a 30-45 minute commute) with some sort of young life, and not too suburban, and not too expensive (ideally nothing more than $1100 or so for rent). I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2006, 04:20 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Hi,
I live in Monmouth County near Sandy Hook beach and a lot of people in this area commute to the city for work, there are trains, buses and ferrys. If you like the beach and want an area that's a little more laid back then N. Jersey plus there's less traffic, this is a great area. You can find an apartment here for around $800 a month but if you want to buy a house they are really expensive around here, not to mention the taxes & auto insurance are one of the highest in the country. Check it out & good luck.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Rapture is right-Monmouth County is really a great place to live (I live there too)-but don't rule out Middlesex County. It's a much better commute if you are in a town like East Brunswick or Edison. They are both safe towns. Also, the Aberdeen/Matawan area has a lot of rentals and the plus is you can take the train into the City.

If you don't mind a longer commute-check out Red Bank (Monmouth County). It is a great riverfront town with a lot going on (also a train into the city) but rents are probably high.

Just another word about Red Bank-it really has a good downtown w/more restaurants than you can imagine, great antique shops, and a lot of high end boutiques as well. Probably the easiest adjustment for a NYer.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Marka; 04-22-2006 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 PM

Thank you both so much for getting back to me, I sincerely appreciate it!! I've actually been looking into some areas in Middlesex and will try and get more info about Monmouth-- if you have any more suggestions I'm all ears! thanks again

Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 AM

You're welcome. If you have any questions about Middlesex, just ask. I lived there for 10 years before moving to Monmouth.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
I grew up in Middlesex County, pretty expensive now, have lived in Monmouth County, Love Sandy Hook Beaches, live in Ocean County with plenty of beaches to choose from, close to Atlantic City, less then 2 hours to NY city, and homes are more reasonable in this county then Middlesex or Monmouth, but, they are catching up fast. I was going to move to NC but, since I have small children that would be a no, no considering their schools. NJ is very expensive so is NY but we do make killer money in these states. NJ has lots going for it. Born and raised and will stay here till my last day. Also, the trains can take you right into the city, when my husband worked in Manhattan that train was fantastic. You can take the train from Middlesex, Monmouth, or Ocean County right into the city. You can still get a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for $1100. or you could even rent a small house. Currently my mortgage is $2500 per month and I am moving to a slightly larger home for a couple hundred bucks more. Business is good in NJ or we would all be homeless Good luck.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 AM

Hi Patty,
Gave up on NC, huh?
Are you staying in the same area of Ocean County?
Isn't it funny how being in Monmouth County and South of it you never consider yourself a "Northerner". Then you get some feed back from the Carolinas and it's !
Good luck on the move-you're a true Jersey Girl!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Hi Patty,
Gave up on NC, huh?
Are you staying in the same area of Ocean County?
Isn't it funny how being in Monmouth County and South of it you never consider yourself a "Northerner". Then you get some feed back from the Carolinas and it's !
Good luck on the move-you're a true Jersey Girl!
Staying in the same area. I would not last long in the Carolina's. I didn't realize that it is so different. Actually, I just figured it would be like moving from 1 town to another, no big differences, boy was I wrong. I'm changing my 2 day a week job to 5 days and that will be plenty to cover the extra mortgage costs. I've come to realize their's no place like home. In NJ. I forgot to mention Donovan's Reef in Sea Brite or Sea Bright, Monmouth county. Outside bands on the beach. At least the last time I was there it was Great.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM

Actually, I do have one more question-- can anyone tell me about Elizabeth? I may have found a place a few blocks from the North Elizabeth train station but I dont really know anything about that particular area... thanks!

Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Add one more to that, any advice about Elizabeth, Rahway & Linden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey