Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaMoves View Post
I think if you're strategic and pick a neighborhood as far south and close to the train in West Orange, it could work.

I wonder about how good the WO schools were when the Kelley twins, you know, the Astronauts, attended.

Has anyone considered Bloomfield?
I get that by South you mean near South Orange and Maplewood. Wouldnt North also be strategic since you by Montclair?

Btw, the schools were almost on par with Livingston when the Kelly twins were there. I would say up until the 90s West Orange schools were top notch accross the board. Definitely went down hill for a while as did Maplewood, South Orange and Montclair. They are started the come back around 15 years ago. Hopefully that will spread/continue to spread into West Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:24 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Verona is better than Cedar Grove but there both great towns. All things being equal if houses were the same price I would prefer Cedar Grove and Verona over West Orange. With that said houses in West Orange fit my budget more however the taxes are a killer. Few questions after reading mixed opinions in these roads recent posts;

1. "White Run"- I know this happened in the 90s and part of the 00s as the school demographics and town shifted dramatically. I have thought that this was reversing as people who want Montclair, South Orange and Maplewood are priced out coming from NY and West Orange is a cheaper alternative. I know this definitely has happened in the Gregory section, curious if this is an accurate statement. Please let me know.
2. The schools might improve? I know this was mentioned any particular reason why this was said, I feel that it may but I'm curious why it would of been said.
3. Priorities- my priorities today are central location for many commuting options, not that far from NYC area, safe neighborhood convient to friends and family. Also hoping for an up and coming area but not somewhere that's bad (side of Maplewood by Irvington is considered by some up and coming lol). Schools do matter but I wouldn't need elementary schools for probably at least 8 years.

Basically I'm probably going to be putting offers o. a few houses in West Orange (none in the bad parts). Just want to make sure I'm making a smart move since I'm reading is some negative, average and positive opinions. Seems to be no consensus on West Orange. Btw I'm not looking at any houses in the Gregory section I know I mentioned it earlier, it is out o my budget.
I spoke with a WOHS teacher last week at a workshop who said that the high school has improved a lot in the past 5 years. I have heard nothing but positive things from people around town about the schools. I live in the Pleasantdale section and am an educator in a surrounding town. I fully backed my child going to WOHS, but the comfort level was with small, tight-knit Catholic schools so that is what we went with for high school. I am satisfied with the town overall, sans taxes.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_D View Post
We currently live in Middlesex County, and we are also considering Montclair, South Orange, etc. My biggest concern (and disappointment) is a public school with a late November/early December cutoff date. Where in Essex county has this? Or how were you able to enroll your November baby "early?"

The only town I have been finding with a later cutoff date is Marlboro, (which is December 31... and very far from where we want to be.) Thank you!
The bigger the school population, the higher the chance that you will be looking at an October cut-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey