Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM

16 posts, read 13,755 times

Advertisements

very recently divorced and will be moving from a 3 bedroom townhouse in North Haledon to an apartment elsewhere. The question is where? What is a good area for someone who is not a typical single in her 20's and 30's. I don't want to be surrounded by nothing but 20 something partiers but also not isolated in a family-oriented suburb. I'd like somewhere that is active and where I could meet similar people. I work from home and travel, so there isn't anywhere in particular I need to commute to other than an airport. My family lives in Queens so I don't want to be hours away from NYC. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 AM

462 posts, read 549,809 times
I would say it depends on where you work. I would say Jersey City is probably the best area in NJ for singles in their 40's especially if you work in Manhattan. Morristown might work as it is a corporate area and I would imagine a fair amount of older singles/divorced people in the area.

My recommendation would be Brooklyn or Astoria in Queens frankly.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 AM

593 posts, read 894,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls012 View Post
very recently divorced and will be moving from a 3 bedroom townhouse in North Haledon to an apartment elsewhere. The question is where? What is a good area for someone who is not a typical single in her 20's and 30's. I don't want to be surrounded by nothing but 20 something partiers but also not isolated in a family-oriented suburb. I'd like somewhere that is active and where I could meet similar people. I work from home and travel, so there isn't anywhere in particular I need to commute to other than an airport. My family lives in Queens so I don't want to be hours away from NYC. Ideas?
Downtown Jersey City?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:25 PM

thanks! thought about Jersey City but it's so pricey. My budget is $2500 a month including parking and dog rent. Can I find something in a good part of the city for that amount?

Also looking at Brooklyn but same issue with $$. Will be checking out Astoria this weekend.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,755 times
Montclair?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls012 View Post
What else are you looking for? What do you like? So you don't want to be surrounded by 20 something partiers. What do you want? What areas do you like, not like? Downtown, walkable, etc.? More rural, quiet, etc.?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
What else are you looking for? What do you like? So you don't want to be surrounded by 20 something partiers. What do you want? What areas do you like, not like? Downtown, walkable, etc.? More rural, quiet, etc.?
Well I've lived in a quiet suburb for 15 years so I think I'd like something more active, more 'downtown' for a change. Where I am not feeling isolated, or surrounded by nothing but families or millennials. I would like there to be some sort of park or open space that I can get to, either walking or driving. somewhere with easy food takeout options (I don't like cooking for myself). I don't necessarily need to be able to walk everywhere as I have a car.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
I second the recommendation for Montclair, if you're going to stay in NJ. I'm a single female in my 50's living in South Orange, and I wish I lived in Montclair.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:54 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
Montclair was my first thought. While there are a lot of families, there's a decent mix of singles, and it's not party-scene like Hoboken's reputation. Red Bank might work too if you're able to live a bit further from NYC.

Jersey City has decent mix of folks downtown too. Your budget might be low for the luxury buildings, but you could probably find something in a rowhome near Grove Street.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
I vote for Queens.

Astoria, but around Glendale, Woodhaven, etc too.

I go to bars there, and am in my early 40s, and I feel like one of the younger people there sometimes.

Downtown JC is a little bit of a younger, hipsterish crowd.

The areas of Brooklyn which have places for singles in their 40s are probably just as expensive as Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey