Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar424 View Post
Going by what friends on Facebook be posting, it seems the city is going downhill. Is crime getting out of hand? Is it getting really expensive?
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Bayonne - downsize to 1,200 feet with a small plot of land.

Any updates on Bayonne? Is crime going up? Stores closing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
I think they should have extended the light rail into staten island to get rid of some of the car traffic

Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
I looked into buying in Bayonne - what I found was a nice quaint town where neighbors knew each other for years but lately new multi-family homes have cropped up in single family streets causing parking issues and litter in streets; politics is also unstable and property taxes continue to go up

Old 01-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
I looked into buying in Bayonne - what I found was a nice quaint town where neighbors knew each other for years but lately new multi-family homes have cropped up in single family streets causing parking issues and litter in streets; politics is also unstable and property taxes continue to go up

This house flipping is ruining neighborhoods. We have politicians pushing for apartment buildings in Yorktown, NY which is pretty rural. They all say it is to lower the taxes - spread the pain. I think NY State union retirement packages for baby boomers is going to sink middle class areas.

Thanks for the update.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:36 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This house flipping is ruining neighborhoods.

I know a guy whose house-flipping experiences could best be summarized under the category of... I made--at most--$100 in real estate. I prefer to speculate in equities, where the Feds cover my occasional capital losses.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 PM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Bayonne - downsize to 1,200 feet with a small plot of land.

Any updates on Bayonne? Is crime going up? Stores closing?
You cannot be serious. Why on earth would you want to? People are incredibly aggressive about parking there, will call police if you as much as touch the white line on asphalt and if you are waiting to pick someone up in front of the home, and sitting in a car, will knock on your door and explain you have minute to move or will call police. Which they do, actually.Not an empty threat.

At 11am on Monday, when most should be at work, you actually cannot park!!! You spend 10 minutes circling nearby streets till you get lucky and a spot just opens, 3 streets away! That was 6 months ago during my last visit.

You want that every day? In retirement?

What was the last time you drove to or out of Bayonne? You pay $5 for turnpike each way, to basically sit in traffic. Driving through Jersey City is madness (0.7 mile per hour) and 440 is obviously always packed due to geography of the place.

The taxes are going up, it's being reassessed.

Also, waaaay too much drugs, in public, to my tastes. That's everywhere, sure, but just spend few hours walking your dog at night ....

English is not a popular language if you need to speak to someone in store. It often takes 2-3 attempts till you get lucky and somebody speaks a broken English...

You actually get a dirty look : "English? Here ? WTF is wrong with you?"

Old 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
You cannot be serious. Why on earth would you want to? People are incredibly aggressive about parking there, will call police if you as much as touch the white line on asphalt and if you are waiting to pick someone up in front of the home, and sitting in a car, will knock on your door and explain you have minute to move or will call police. Which they do, actually.Not an empty threat.

At 11am on Monday, when most should be at work, you actually cannot park!!! You spend 10 minutes circling nearby streets till you get lucky and a spot just opens, 3 streets away! That was 6 months ago during my last visit.

You want that every day? In retirement?

What was the last time you drove to or out of Bayonne? You pay $5 for turnpike each way, to basically sit in traffic. Driving through Jersey City is madness (0.7 mile per hour) and 440 is obviously always packed due to geography of the place.

The taxes are going up, it's being reassessed.

Also, waaaay too much drugs, in public, to my tastes. That's everywhere, sure, but just spend few hours walking your dog at night ....

English is not a popular language if you need to speak to someone in store. It often takes 2-3 attempts till you get lucky and somebody speaks a broken English...

You actually get a dirty look : "English? Here ? WTF is wrong with you?"
Thanks for your information - exactly what I needed to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey