Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:54 AM

213 posts, read 216,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
If I work for a bank, how fair would it be for me to compare my salary with someone at Goldman Sachs and complain I make 35% less than them? No one is forcing me to stay with my employer, and if I have what it takes, I could go work for Goldman. My salary is a result of my skills and the financial strength of my employer. I can't expect to get freebies and raise when my employer is struggling.
Didn't many banks get a federal bail out? Remember "to big to fail?".

Both craft and management employees are leaving NJT for other rail roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
Didn't many banks get a federal bail out? Remember "to big to fail?".
TARP was a one-time payment. What NJT is asking for is a perpetual rise in cost.

Government ended up recovering all money they had paid in TARP. Is NJT going to repay to the government?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
TARP was a one-time payment. What NJT is asking for is a perpetual rise in cost.

Government ended up recovering all money they had paid in TARP. Is NJT going to repay to the government?
Does ANY public transportation system repay the govt?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Does ANY public transportation system repay the govt?
Then why compare a NJT's wage & benefits increase to a bailout in the first place? Can't have it both ways.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Then why compare a NJT's wage & benefits increase to a bailout in the first place? Can't have it both ways.
Who's comparing a wage increase and benefit decrease (the employees share of benefit payments will increase under the plan approved by the mediators)?
It's not a bailout, I didn't mention the bailout, but I believe ALL public transportation systems are subsidized by the federal govt. along with bridges, tunnels, and highways.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM

213 posts, read 216,618 times
Quote:
Then don't use banks as an example in the first place. They are for profit, private corporations who screwed up and had to go begging for rescue. apples and oranges.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Then don't use banks as an example in the first place. They are for profit, private corporations who screwed up and had to go begging for rescue. apples and oranges.
My original reference was in terms of wages and benefits. I made an argument that folks not happy with their current job situation are free to join another employer. My example was one of a bank employee but that could be extrapolated to any industry.

Not sure why you brought up "TBTF" and "TARP" references, which has nothing to do with the NJT strike.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM

12 posts, read 17,051 times
Quote:
I heard the earth is flat and the moon is made of green cheese.
Yeah, i heard lot of employees are wasting tax payer paid time on forums too. i just went through your previous posts starting from 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM, looks like you are an expert on NJT rail systems and train stations, may be an employee hiding behind keyboard?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
It is starting to get nasty!

As negotiations have continued, NJ Transit ramped up pressure on unionized employees on Thursday by sending them notice they would lose their medical and other benefits as soon as they go on strike.

NJ Transit Strike: Railroad May Start Taking Steps to Prepare for Shutdown Friday - WSJ

Union leaders were livid after railroad workers were put on notice that striking employees would be suspended from their jobs, lose health insurance coverage and sick time used or vacation time planned during any stoppage.

NJ Transit strike: Talks go south after notice of job suspensions=

Looks like NJT is trying to put the squeeze on the union.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Seems like NJT wants a strike, they've gotten 2 recommendations from arbitrators and still don't want to settle. Now it seems like they want to **** the unions off so they can put the blame on them. 5yrs of negotiations are too long, and CC is on the beach in Miami or stumping for Trump. Of course any deal CC made he'd renege on 6mo later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey