Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,

If I explain the situation...
I was on the second lane out of 4 going around 70 miles on a 65 mile zone. Everyone was going on that pace but I wanted to pass a car that seemed way close to me because I was going "too slow" when I was going 65-70 miles (I got scared). So I moved to the passing lane sped, to pass couple cars and switche lanes. However, the cop got a record of my speed when I was on the passing lane trying to pass couple cars (his gun said 82). I thought I was okay because he did not follow me until 2-3 mins later. Did not put on his siren for couple minutes too. He actually stopped me after I switched lane twice and was driving for couple minutes after I slowed down. As soon as I switched lane, I was only going 65-70 mi too... He did not give me a time for explanation, just asked for my license and info, made a comment "whats the rush for?" gave me a ticket and left.

I received a 15 mi speeding ticket with 4 points!
I never received a ticket before and have a clean record
I do not mind paying the speed ticket, but its the 4 points I am worried about
I am also aware, I can't go against his speed gun...

I just read online that lawyers can deal with the prosecutor to lessen the charges.... but lawyers are so expensive plus the ticket will be a big expense for a full time college student who lives on her own with her own earning...

Is there a way I can do that on my own? Is getting a lawyer the smartest idea?
(I am aware that insurance company might increase my insurance because of the points)
I am desperate for help here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
So it looks like the ticket is legit.

You expressed that you didn't get an opportunity to explain. That opportunity is in front of a judge when you go to court.

In most situations, a prosecutor will offer to reduce the violation to 2 points less for a fine that is larger by a very small amount (usually under $500). This only works if the prosecutor feels you were not acting dangerously.

You can further reduce your points by taking a defensive driving course.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM

59 posts, read 123,191 times
Anytime you get 3 or more points on your record your insurance will go up. I don't know how much, depends on your carrier.

You could try and fight it, but it doesn't sound like much of a story. You sped, it's over. The other way you can escape these things is if you know a cop in the area? If so, have him talk to the officer and maybe it can get tossed out. That would be ideal.

All else, probably best to pay up front for the lawyer. They can definitely can the points taken off which is most important. The amount it would save you in future insurance is worth it. You'll likely have to pay a fine on top, but you never know. I would call some lawyers for some free consultations as well. See what they'd charge and what they can do for you.

Really sorry this happened. I know these things suck to go through.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 PM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
when you go to court, you will encounter large group of people doing same thing you are doing, pay more for no points, no laywer needed, its like a assembly line, I know someone who did it last week, got a $400 fine instead of points, as long as you presently have no points.
repeat you do not need a laywer.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:41 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
This has been rehashed over and over,,,, basically in NJ they offer anyone the so called zero points unsafe driving deal which is not that great, but its about $485 the few times I've taken it, you get zero driving pointa, your insurance still sees it on your record, you can go tell them your dog ate your homework if they ask, and you can ONLY take it about 2 times in 10 years or so.

If you take it more than allowed it will show up as 4 points.

In your case they will also offer to knock your tickie down to 2 points since thats common to offer to knock the speed down a notch.

If your uncle was the judge or you got otherwise lucky they can change it to obstructing traffic which is about $75 and there is no record of, but those are RARE, I've gotten a few, some luck, some everybody wanting to go home, some I knew the prosecutor as a friend, etc

Other states are easier, some not, some other states allow you to knock the thing off easily but only once a year.

NJ allows you to take an online course only a certain amount every few years and it takes off points, 2 or 3, and also keeps your insurance costs down.

The zero point unsafe deal costs the most, the 2 point deal costs the usual ticket fees, then you could take the online thingy to knock the 2 points off.

otherwise you could get lucky but chances are low.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Do not take the advice of anybody on the internet especially somebody who tells you about all the tickets they have gotten.

Come on you know what to do, you already asked if it was a good idea. Yes it is.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM

Most of the time, for a speeding ticket such as this, rather simple, no other charges except one, the court will offer you basically the same thing with or without a lawyer.
If your situation was more complex or serious a lawyer would be good.
A lot depends on the town also. Some take time to explain everything and offer details on your options, etc.
Others may be so overwhelmed with several hundred people to process the same night that its more assembly line and they expect you to know what choosing option A or option B implies.

Myself as a youth many decades ago, before any state had surcharges and all that, darn near most of the people my ages used to have over 40 points for all sorts of teenage driving stuff.

You couldnt afford to drive ii you had anything like that these days so forget that.

Past few decades zero points or close to zero.

Thinking they will knock down the tick to a 2 pointer since 99.9 % of the time if you are only slightly over the category they do that, then you can take an online course on your pc for about $20 or $30 that takes those 2 points off and you're back to zero.

When you go into court you plead not guilty initially so you can work a deal.
Then they call all the not guilty people into a line and one by one, sometimes two by two you go into a separate room and the prosecutor offers a deal and you can take it or fight the ticket.

As I say above those are basically your choices. 99% of the time the tickettees take the deal, the cop who wrote the ticket does not even show up, you go back into the court room and the judge calls your case and they make the money.

Only if you challenge the ticket and want to fight it on its premises, then they often reschedule you to come back when that cop will be in. Very few people challenge their tickets due to most people just wanting to get the thing over and not come back, and the facts of whatever case you have that you don't have grounds to beat the charge, and that the deal they offer you is right now is better than, less points than, fighting the original charges and losing.

Last edited by captne76; 03-06-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 AM

52 posts, read 85,395 times
Unsafe Operation , you get 3 chances with that and then you can never use it again. You basically are paying the insurance charge anyway BUT to the ****ty state upfront. Make a court date, get in line to speak to the towns lawyer and its done.DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER

Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy761 View Post
Unsafe Operation , you get 3 chances with that and then you can never use it again. You basically are paying the insurance charge anyway BUT to the ****ty state upfront. Make a court date, get in line to speak to the towns lawyer and its done.DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER
I think they let you opt for that 2 times, def NOT 3, within 10 years and then once every five or ten years afterwards and many courts expect YOU to know how many you have and will not be bothered to look it up, meaning if you go for too many too soon you get an automatic 4 points from the state.

Many local courts resort to that as the first option but it is expensive, about $480 total w/ fees etc, and also still shows up on your driving record as such, Unsafe operation, 0 points.

Some insurance companies may ask about it anyway. It just keeps 0 points on your driving record. Often you can say whatever to auto insurance companies and they will glance over it.

In a case like this I would take the drop down to 2 points most courts would easily do then take the online driver safety course which would knock those 2 points off. That would be cheaper and still leave that Unsafe option for hopefully not to use i the future. But that would be me.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:10 PM

52 posts, read 85,395 times
The insurance company asks for any moving violations , this is not a moving violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: