U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM

49 posts, read 185,524 times

Advertisements

I left Eatontown,N.J. for Keller,Tx Aug.2005. Just packed up with my wife two kids four dogs and drove down. This was after walking away from a job that I had been at for 28 yrs. We sold our house for twice what we bought it for six years earlier. Now we live in a brand new house with no mortage and no real winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 PM

741 posts, read 3,325,599 times
Any regrets? I was watching house hunters and Austin texas episode came on, I was very surprised at the price of homes, very reasonable. 1 question, Do most people in Texas have tornado rooms? I'm under the impression there are many bad and frequent tornado's there. Aside from Mother Nature, I did see some beautiful lakes in Texas. And, overall it looked pretty nice. Any diners?

Old 11-21-2006, 09:44 PM

20 posts, read 182,346 times
Good for you New Jersey Texan! I also left Eatontown 4 weeks ago and bought a home in Brookville Pa. I LOVE IT!! The only regret that I have is the fact that I had to leave my home state because I could no longer afford to live there.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 PM

Min2mem
I was just wondering where in Eatontown you lived? Did you get a real good price for your house like we did? Did it take a long time to sell,since the housing seems to be going through some changes about now.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 PM

PattyNJ
No tornado rooms that I've seen. I think there more prevelant in Kansas and Oklahoma.
Yea,house prices are alot more resonable then Jersey. A median price three bedroom two bath house is about $160,000. And its all brick on the outside. In Jersey you would tack on alot more money for the brick exterior.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 AM

20 posts, read 182,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Texan View Post
Min2mem
I was just wondering where in Eatontown you lived? Did you get a real good price for your house like we did? Did it take a long time to sell,since the housing seems to be going through some changes about now.

I was actually renting, being a single Mom I could never afford to buy a house there.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 80,455 times
Hi New Jersey Texan !!! I like the sound of that !
I also am in present change mode of moving from NJ to Texas.
Through research, I am leaning toward Austin or Dallas, Texas. I am very excited about the move and all the warm weather. If I never had to shovel through another snow storm it would be A-O-K !!! I'm ready to slow it down
and enjoy the weather ! The real estate prices seem excellent, far better than NJ. I will be visiting soon, just to get a feel for the people.

For those wanting to move to NJ... There is alot of professional job opportunities and advancement, only if your willing to apply yourself. Like its neighbors, NY & Pennsylvania - there is alot going on as far as jobs, social activities,
entertainment, education & even slow it down suburban life if thats what your looking for. The Tri State area can offer it all. But, you better have the energy to go for it !

Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 AM

88 posts, read 358,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblack View Post
Hi New Jersey Texan !!! I like the sound of that !
I also am in present change mode of moving from NJ to Texas.
Through research, I am leaning toward Austin or Dallas, Texas. I am very excited about the move and all the warm weather. If I never had to shovel through another snow storm it would be A-O-K !!! I'm ready to slow it down
and enjoy the weather ! The real estate prices seem excellent, far better than NJ. I will be visiting soon, just to get a feel for the people.

For those wanting to move to NJ... There is alot of professional job opportunities and advancement, only if your willing to apply yourself. Like its neighbors, NY & Pennsylvania - there is alot going on as far as jobs, social activities,
entertainment, education & even slow it down suburban life if thats what your looking for. The Tri State area can offer it all. But, you better have the energy to go for it !

I cannot picture myself in Texas..haha

What is the crime like down there? I heard there was a lot of it. Also I heard there was a lot of poor homeless people/illegal immigrants and the jobs do not pay well at all?

Is it true?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:11 PM

39 posts, read 180,145 times
Default Just left Texas

I am a native Jersey girl who JUST left Texas in April. I liked it ok, though I would NOT recommend living in Dallas. Alot of crime there. Austin is ok but again it is a big city so there is a crime element. I would suggest one of the surrounding smaller cities like Round Rock, Kyle,Buda,etc for the Austin folks and Lewisville,Carrolton, or even Denton for those that want to be near Dallas. I lived in Texas for 13 years on and off the bulk was from 97-April 06. There are job opportunities there but you will not make what you make up north. My hubby went to TSTC in Waco and graduated so we moved for a job opportunity to FL. check out city data dot com for the crime stats on Austin and Dallas, but I think Dallas is worse, also there is TERRIBLE traffic on I-35 the highway that gets ya from Dallas to Austin, All of my in-laws live in the Austin or San Marcos area and there biggest gripe is traffic. I personally lived in Denton, Carrolton and waco, and traveled to work near Dallas and the traffic was horrendous. Weather wise, there are major storms there and the day I left Waco there was a tornado, then followed by I think 2 more that week. There were tornadoes north and south of us approx 10-15 mi during tornado season as well which is like March-June maybe longer. You mainly get alot of severe thunderstorms, Dallas has had its share of tornadoes as well, I cant recall any for Austin. A great state to live in just steer clear of the inner city living and you will be ok. Austin is a nice city great shopping and Dallas has the Galleria (extraordinary shopping!!) but I wouldnt live in either city, just near them. Hope that helps someone!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM

Default RyanPKull

As long as you stay on the outside of the big cities in Texas you'll be fine.
My wife and I never venture into Dallas just like when we lived in Jersey we never went into Manhatten. I don't really see any homeless people buts that's because I only drove through South Fort Worth one time; then I knew not to go thru it again. True, the jobs here don't pay
as well as Jersey particually if your unskilled labor as I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or