Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i'm in mebane, just a few months, but was in cary for a few renting.
i like durham too! especialy the city center. i have a thing for city centers--

i guess that is why i loved paterson so much. i used to go downtown with my grandmother every saturday for shopping (in the 80's). when i am back in NJ and go into paterson, i always marvel at the beautiful architecture and my heart aches for it--no one wants to fix it up.
findinghope - It's a shame the shape NJ's cities are in. They still have potential. Maybe when gas is $8.00 a gallon, some of the outlying suburbs will have residents that will reconsider NJ cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
i miss living in the city where you can walk to everything you need. i mean i was pretty young at the time, but i still remember what it was like--i grew up off of/on 21st ave. i know how it was to know the shop keepers, to shop in individual specialty shops for everything needed. i know what it was like getting fresh bread and meat and fruit every day. i often wish i could go back there--but it was just a moment in time, and i would need all the same people there with me...

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,335 times
hey guys is River Street bad??????

Old 04-26-2008, 08:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
hey guys is River Street bad??????
It ain't Upper Saddle River - that's for sure!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 42,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwannasay View Post
It was bad in 1980's when I lived in Clifton, I can only imagine what its like now.
Also read "I have no idea what I'm talking about since my information is going on 30 years old, so I probably shouldn't open my mouth?"

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM

12 posts, read 42,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
NC is a big improvement over NJ. Taxes that are a third of what I paid for that little Cape Cod in Paterson for a house three times the size in NC, make it a no-brainer for this early retiree. But I guess you already know that! I'm now living in the house that I would have liked to have grown up in. Three bathrooms beat one any day of the week! No more fighting with siblings to get into that one bathroom! LOL! There are things I miss about NJ, but they get less and less, the longer I'm here. You can go home again - but it will never be the same.
I can't see what a retired person would want with a house three times the size. Large houses are lots of work, and someone has to clean all that unnecessary space. Seriously, this obsession with large houses is what's killing cities in the first place.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,947 times
Default Is Paterson dangerous?

Hey guys, I came to America and Paterson in 1996 at a young age and it really is not that bad. The school system definitely is bad. I used to walk around when I was young by myself in a rather okay neighborhood (IMO), around Beech street. It's the kind of place where if you do not cause trouble and attention to yourself, people will accept you and in turn, not cause you any trouble. I only started to develop some negative views about Paterson when I attended my high school, which was in a nice area of Bergen County. Many outsiders show their "fear" when they come to Paterson and it is apparent to most of the residents that they have heard bad things about Paterson. For example, I saw a Caucasian lady at a red light immediately lock her doors and close her windows when a group of teenagers walked by. I laughed a little and the teenagers also saw it and laughed. I don't think the people in Paterson are looking to get into fights, but there is always bound to be altercations and misunderstandings. I can understand that some suburban people feel uncomfortable because of the large Latino and African-American population. I wish they would literally clean the streets and make the city look nicer, because I believe that having a nicer looking city will atleast change some of the people's mindsets and reduce crime. Wishful thinking?

Last edited by patersonresident; 05-01-2008 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patersonresident View Post
Hey guys, I came to America and Paterson in 1996 at a young age and it really is not that bad. The school system definitely is bad. I used to walk around when I was young by myself in a rather okay neighborhood (IMO), around Beech street. It's the kind of place where if you do not cause trouble and attention to yourself, people will accept you and in turn, not cause you any trouble. I only started to develop some negative views about Paterson when I attended my high school, which was in a nice area of Bergen County. Many outsiders show their "fear" when they come to Paterson and it is apparent to most of the residents that they have heard bad things about Paterson. For example, I saw a Caucasian lady at a red light immediately lock her doors and close her windows when a group of teenagers walked by. I laughed a little and the teenagers also saw it and laughed. I don't think the people in Paterson are looking to get into fights, but there is always bound to be altercations and misunderstandings. I can understand that some suburban people feel uncomfortable because of the large Latino and African-American population. I wish they would literally clean the streets and make the city look nicer, because I believe that having a nicer looking city will atleast change some of the people's mindsets and reduce crime. Wishful thinking?
aw, you bring back good memories--i went to school on beech street. i also wish they would clean it up--it really is a beautiful place. but crime and slum have really give it a bad rep...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
I'm from Paterson and Beech St. is not nice at all! It's also right behind Summer St, another bad street. Things get better once you hit Martin St. in that area (exactly where People's Park begins).

Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM

70 posts, read 195,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Market St. and Straight St. is NOT part of People's Park. Those streets are in Sandy Hill and this area is bad.
I was not saying either of those streets were in Peoples Park. You misunderstood my comment. I was pointing out my familiarity with Paterson has come from living on its outskirts and where I have been working since 1982.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey