Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It's not West Paterson any more. It's "Woodland Park" now.
I know, but I refuse to call it that. They tried to change the name when I lived there, too (1986 - 1996), but it was voted down. It wasn't Woodland Park, though. I forget what they wanted to call it. I lived in WEST PATERSON. I guess the later crop of residents went for the treacly name change.

Nice little town, though the hills are a bytch in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
This brings back memories. I used to take the bus from Vreeland and Main in Clifton to NYC, downtown Clifton or Passaic. I often wonder if I would do that now. Haven't been up there in decades.
I grew up in a South Paterson in the 60s and 70s. Moved to Wayne in 84.

I went to high school at DBT. Used to take the 74 downtown, then got the 68/120 at City Hall over to school on Union Ave.

I have a fond memory ... one year, I'm going to guess it was 1976, my buddy and I left for school on the 74 one morning just as it started to snow. The storm must have taken the city by surprise, the plows didn't come out. By the time we got downtown, there was several inches already on the ground. The streets were a mess. We waited so long for the 68/120 that we decided to walk along the route to school, up Market, past the Falls, then up to Union. We made it all the way to school and never saw a bus. Of course, by the time we got there school had been cancelled, so we spent the day hanging out with the priests and brothers (they lived there). They shared lunch with us. By mid afternoon, the roads were cleared and we took the usual bus routes back home. It was a good day.

How different today is. I'm sure that walk wouldn't be safe any more (in fact, parts of it would have been dicey at night back in 76 but daytime was OK). Back then, you found out school was closed if the whistle blew at 7AM. Getting taken by surprise by a storm is less likely today. And we have cell phones now, which no doubt would have made that day totally different. Unimaginable back then, just 38 years ago.

So, yes, I actually did walk to school. Uphill. In the snow.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It's not West Paterson any more. It's "Woodland Park" now.
Elmwood Park beat them to it years before.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Elmwood Park beat them to it years before.
You mean East Paterson...lol....

Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Wow, you guys are as bad as Philadelphians refusing to use the new names of things. Kind of reminds me of the old joke about the USSR though

A sociological survey:

"Where were you born?"
St. Petersburg.

"Where did you go to school?"
Petrograd.

"Where do you live now?"
Leningrad.

"Where would you like to live?"
St. Petersburg

Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Paterson has a great history as one of the first industrial cities in the US. It's like if the Brunswicks all changed to some lame, inoffensive tree name like "South Mapleville" because New Brunswick is a bit rough around the edges.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Paterson has a great history as one of the first industrial cities in the US. It's like if the Brunswicks all changed to some lame, inoffensive tree name like "South Mapleville" because New Brunswick is a bit rough around the edges.
Actually, it was the first planned industrial city in the US, thanks to the vision of Alexander Hamilton.
If you read the history of The Society for Establishing Useful Manufactures (S.U.M), you will probably find it interesting.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Well said. When West Pat was first thinking of changing its name back in the '90s, the mayor of Paterson joked that he was going to change his city's name to West Elmwood Park.

I liked the town and was sorry when I had to move from there.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well said. When West Pat was first thinking of changing its name back in the '90s, the mayor of Paterson joked that he was going to change his city's name to West Elmwood Park.

I liked the town and was sorry when I had to move from there.
Hmm. I'm writing a petition to change my town to "East Livingston". Then we'll get South Orange to change to North Maplewood.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,272 times
Definitely understand why older people who remember the old names roll their eyes at the new ones, but it worked. I didn't even know they weren't originally named that until a couple years back and I think the younger generation and transplants from other parts of America or the world associate them less with Paterson than they (we) would if not for the name change. This is especially true for Elmwood Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey