Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating the NY/NJ area and are in the process of looking at properties. Our main search has focused from Jersey City up the NJ Gold Coast up to the GW bridge. One thing that I am finding is that the properties in JC appear to be a considerable amount cheaper in price than the areas north.

While digging deeper into the listings many of the properties appear to be either gut rehabs or already fitted out with all the granite and stainless. My question ....IS JC considered a up and comming area?

After doing some statistical research,I see that the area has a high crime rate.. is this due to a focused area of JC where the majority of crime occurs that skews the numbers or is the crime wide spread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,308 times
If you look back you will see that there are some very recent posts about this same subject. The same people will answer the same way each and every time.
That being said, I will repeat myself again.
I would stay away from JC. I lived in Bayonne for 30 years and I have had first hand experience with JC...and it is negative, for the most part. If you want to be close to the same area then look Hoboken, Cliffside Park and Edgewater.
The crime there is pretty high for a city of 200,000, and for someone who knows nothing about the different sections of this city you could be, one day, walking into a keg of dynamite.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Their really needs to be a post that stays at the top of this forum about jersey city hahaha. I would defenitly recomend maybe edgewater or weehaken waaaaay over JC. And if I hear "up and coming" one more time not only about JC but also other places that have alot to be desierd im gonna flip my lid (no offense to the original poster). Seriously though JC has that big construction boom or whatever downtown but all in all you would probebly be alot happier in the places I mentioned before. Plus isnt most of the soil contaminated in JC? That explains alot for me since im a product of JC.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern12 View Post
My wife and I are relocating the NY/NJ area and are in the process of looking at properties. Our main search has focused from Jersey City up the NJ Gold Coast up to the GW bridge. One thing that I am finding is that the properties in JC appear to be a considerable amount cheaper in price than the areas north.

While digging deeper into the listings many of the properties appear to be either gut rehabs or already fitted out with all the granite and stainless. My question ....IS JC considered a up and comming area?

After doing some statistical research,I see that the area has a high crime rate.. is this due to a focused area of JC where the majority of crime occurs that skews the numbers or is the crime wide spread?
Dessert rat is the expert check with him.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern12 View Post

I would not invest money in JC. Some of the young people are renting there, but I would not feel safe there. For resale value, you may have problems selling in a questionable area.
Sure its cheaper there, because its due to the crime rate.
Diane G

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,716 times
Go for it... JC isnt that bad. There are some sections some people may want to shy away from. Near the Waterfront its superb

Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 17,790 times
Default grew up there till first year of hs

stay away far away especially if you plan on having a family the schools are terrible wait a few more years like 100 for it to turn around

Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackedInPrinceton View Post
Go for it... JC isnt that bad. There are some sections some people may want to shy away from. Near the Waterfront its superb
Define "superb".
Does superb come with homes that are actually on the water, with a shoreline to walk on?
Does superb come with a grass-filled backyard?
Does superb come with a low-crime rate for a City of 200,000 people?
Superb?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,716 times
Im not on here to define the definition of superb. I really like JC waterfront and thats my opinion and thats what Im gonna give.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Whether JC is a good investment depends on where you look and what you buy. Demand for RE close to PATH stations downtown is insatiable. New inventory keeps coming online in the form of highrise condos. If those aren't your thing, brownstones near Grove Street and the Hamilton Park area are in demand too, but in fixed supply. I wouldn't say Downtown Jersey City is up and coming, I'd say it has almost "arrived." Away from downtown, there is a very different Jersey City. You have to be very careful where you look. There are some new developments in the Journal Square area and lots of rehab going on in the Heights that look promising, and perhaps those areas are ready for the type of change that has happened downtown, but that would be several years into the future, IMO. Areas such as Bergen-Lafayette, Marion and Greenville are hands-off, IMO. Stay away.

The fact is, 24-hour subway access to Manhattan is a huge selling point for parts of Jersey City. People are paying the rents, and they're paying to own. The neighborhoods downtown have changed a lot in recent years as a result. Crime is higher than average, and it's something to think about, but (and people here may think I'm crazy for saying this), you're not going to get mugged outside your house every day (if ever). Be smart about where you look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey