Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,323 times

Advertisements

Just a quick warning for anyone looking in the Vernon/Sussex county areas....make sure you ask about community/lake dues. Highland Lakes is up to $1035 a year. They do keep the lakes VERY clean I have to give them that. The dues also include summer garbage pickup and snow plowing and repairs/paving. Swim lessons in the summer. I'm sure there's a lot more but those are the items that affected us when we lived there. I'm sure there's much more that we never had a chance to use/access too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
That's not too crazy...less than 100/month for all of that? That area is pretty looks like you are in Shoholo PA now? Where is that? Near Lake wally wally : ))

Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That's not too crazy...less than 100/month for all of that? That area is pretty looks like you are in Shoholo PA now? Where is that? Near Lake wally wally : ))

Highland Lakes is very nice. We miss it a lot. Hubby belonged to the fire dept there and we made many, many friends who became like 2nd family to us.

Highland Lakes Country Club and Community Association, Highland Lakes, Vernon, New Jersey Here is some more info about Highland Lakes.

Yes, we are in Shohola now. It is nice but very rural. It is about 20 mins east of Lake Wallenpaupak. Not too far. But around here, you have to drive for any shopping...Walmart, Food, Home Depot, etc. There is one small supermarket up the road for a small shopping trip but I wouldn't do my weekly shopping there. There are also a few gas stations around but they are very expensive. Easier to swing into NJ and save a few cents on the way to work for hubby.

We'd never get what we have here in NJ...the price/tax differences are unbelievable.

PA - 4.06 acres $4700 taxes 3200 sq ft log home built in 03
NJ - 80x100 lot same taxes 1000 sq ft ranch built in late 1950s

How can you argue?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,447 times
Born & Raised in Bergen County, transplanted to West Jersey 20 years ago and have lived in Morris, Sussex and Warren Counties. All 3 offer varied types of living- picket fence type of communities- to vast acerage. All would depend upon your budget for purchase, taxes, wants and needs (type and size home) and commute desired. I am also a realtor, and would happy to assist. E-mail communcations first rate by my standards- with everyone's busy schedules best way to stay in touch. The Kids of this generation haven't inherited the e-mail gene, still have the phone gene- when it rings all get out happens.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times
[quote=ff18wife;2813975]Highland Lakes is very nice. We miss it a lot. Hubby belonged to the fire dept there and we made many, many friends who became like 2nd family to us.

We originally lived in McAfee, my late husband was one of the founders of the McAfee Volunteer Fire Dept. believe me he spent more time with the fire dept. (cleaning trucks/reroofing the buidling/parades) but this was a passion for him, when we moved to Glenwood he dropped the fire dept. but kept in touch with all the guys. In fact I first met him at the fire house parvillion (Vernon) after the VFW parade on Memorial Day, 1967.

Although not living in NJ for awhile, my heart is still there, my daughter lives there with my two granddaughters, and hubby is at rest in the Glenwood Cemetery. My former home was up for sale for $370,000 and the taxes were $5,300......beyond belief. I thought I might be able to get up to PA across the border, but even there the prices are out of sight.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM

[quote=Songbird42;2818311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
Highland Lakes is very nice. We miss it a lot. Hubby belonged to the fire dept there and we made many, many friends who became like 2nd family to us.

We originally lived in McAfee, my late husband was one of the founders of the McAfee Volunteer Fire Dept. believe me he spent more time with the fire dept. (cleaning trucks/reroofing the buidling/parades) but this was a passion for him, when we moved to Glenwood he dropped the fire dept. but kept in touch with all the guys. In fact I first met him at the fire house parvillion (Vernon) after the VFW parade on Memorial Day, 1967.

Although not living in NJ for awhile, my heart is still there, my daughter lives there with my two granddaughters, and hubby is at rest in the Glenwood Cemetery. My former home was up for sale for $370,000 and the taxes were $5,300......beyond belief. I thought I might be able to get up to PA across the border, but even there the prices are out of sight.
Songbird...It makes me sad to hear stories like this...seniors not able to afford to stay in NJ - retire in NJ because of how expensive it is. If we can have farm assessment, why can't we have senior citizen assessment? In Britian, they know how to take care of their seniors...at age 60, you are forced to drop down to a 3 day work week, then 2, then 1 - then full retirement. And once you retire, you get all the benefits..free public transportation, free medical, free dental, free property tax - your cost of housing drops as well. We should follow their lead.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 PM

Believe me, if I could afford to get back "home" to NJ anywhere, I would be packing right now, but for a widow on fixed income, its out of the question
I am looking to NC thats about as far North my money will take me, unfortunately living in swampland (FL) the house prices are dropping like rocks
my house is down about $45,000 from 2007 and with nearly 4,000 homes for sale plus another 1,900 in forclosure, I can't sell at all.

My daughter sends me pictures all the time, I have those pics hung up so when I look at them I can go back in time for a moment to remember better times enjoying those things that put a smile on my face, racking leaves, building a snowman, BBQ's, going to the Farm and Horse Show, yes, I hang on to my memories of a better time.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Believe me, if I could afford to get back "home" to NJ anywhere, I would be packing right now, but for a widow on fixed income, its out of the question
I am looking to NC thats about as far North my money will take me, unfortunately living in swampland (FL) the house prices are dropping like rocks
my house is down about $45,000 from 2007 and with nearly 4,000 homes for sale plus another 1,900 in forclosure, I can't sell at all.

My daughter sends me pictures all the time, I have those pics hung up so when I look at them I can go back in time for a moment to remember better times enjoying those things that put a smile on my face, racking leaves, building a snowman, BBQ's, going to the Farm and Horse Show, yes, I hang on to my memories of a better time.
My parents lived in FL for a while but headed back to Jersey before I was born. They swore they would never go back to FL but had not choice when it came time to retire. My mom passed a few years ago but my dad still live there....chasiing all of the single ladies in his community : )) He loves it but I'm sure he would rather be here, closer to his grandchildren. Well I hope your place sells soon and next time I go to the farm and Horse Show, I'll think of you : )

Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Gee, thanks.........this past year my 9 and 7 yr old granddaughters were in there first horse show at the Farm and Horse, the 9 yr old came in first and the 7 yr old came in third and seventh. They take lessons at a horse farm up on Rt 94 going towards Warwick.

Let me tell ya, the women down here outnumber the men, and they do chase the widowers.......ha,ha if their still breathing (men) then they chase em.
And if those guys have a pension, watch out.........brownie's, cupcakes, dinners........I gotta laugh, seen it all.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Gee, thanks.........this past year my 9 and 7 yr old granddaughters were in there first horse show at the Farm and Horse, the 9 yr old came in first and the 7 yr old came in third and seventh. They take lessons at a horse farm up on Rt 94 going towards Warwick.

Let me tell ya, the women down here outnumber the men, and they do chase the widowers.......ha,ha if their still breathing (men) then they chase em.
And if those guys have a pension, watch out.........brownie's, cupcakes, dinners........I gotta laugh, seen it all.
Well my dad has a VA pension plus SS..no wonder! LOL : ) He's 87 but thinks he's 27. He's over in Plant City. He's a retired chef..Italian Chef even though he's an Irish Catholic from Brooklyn....lol : )) Should I set up the blind date : ))Your granddaughters - well done! My great neice, before she moved to Florida recently, had a horse and she also did very well - has a few 1st place ribbons. She had to sell her horse when she moved to FL - broke her heart : (By the way...I did some shopping today on MLS and found some really cheap houses!!! Under 200K in NJ. Will this do for you coming back home : )) I'd love to see you be able to get back up here by your grandchildren. If you want me to do some homework, just ask - it would be my pleasure. I'm not a realtor but I love shopping on the mls sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey