Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of the south View Post
let me guess - you are a realtor and now is the time to buy! Right now or it will be too late!

And which decade do you think the tunnel is being built? Not this one
:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
Are they actually building a new tunnel after all? I have heard so many rumors that I just assume its not going to happen.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Actually, the opposite will probably happen. The whole idea of commuting for many jobs is ridiculous in the era of high bandwidth and intimate interconnectedness. In 10 years, more and more jobs will allow for remote execution. In fact, commuting will be an anachronistic joke in the next 20 years for most professions. The whole idea of sheep herding and crowding into Manhattan every day so that they can have discussions and write reports in ludicrous. It's a waste of time, energy, money, gas, resources, you name it. A paradigm shift is underway and commuting will be going away in the next 20 years. So by the time they build that tunnel, we won't need it. So home prices will not be affected by this tunnel, if it ever gets built at all.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
I don't see it happening. There are already talks of a real estate bubble. There is a trend of people moving out of the suburbs and back into the cities. Rates will be on the rise.

There have been some migration patterns of people moving from Sussex and other western counties into Bergen County, but not in huge numbers.

Last edited by Kevin1975; 03-30-2016 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Arent the prices booming now? Has it not been booming for some time now? Even during the GFC, I dont think the home prices in Bergen crashed much, unless it was Hackensack, Englewood, Teaneck.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:06 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Prices are already overinflated in some areas. Why is there going to be a boom? Because of a tunnel that might never be built? Also, where are all these high income jobs coming from? NYC/NJ does not have any industrial/tech booms going on like San Fran, and I don't see any signs of that happening. If anything, the next Governor will probably proffer to the unions for votes and the State/Property taxes will increase, thus lowering your home value.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Arent the prices booming now? Has it not been booming for some time now? Even during the GFC, I dont think the home prices in Bergen crashed much, unless it was Hackensack, Englewood, Teaneck.
Every town in Bergen took a hit and are still below their 2008 highs. Some towns have recovered better than others. Some towns were flat last year and some were even down. Total sales is up, so prices aren't booming. There has been modest gains in some towns.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Are they actually building a new tunnel after all? I have heard so many rumors that I just assume its not going to happen.
They're going to have to build one. Hurricane Sandy (which C Christie didn't cound on when he nixed the other tunnel)did a number on the existing tunnel. It will be a real crisis if they have to close one tunnel. The gridlock into the city would be enormous. Of course if they don't build a tunnel, and they have to close one, NYC real estate would be superbooming. Hedge your bets, buy property in both places.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM

521 posts, read 991,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually, the opposite will probably happen. The whole idea of commuting for many jobs is ridiculous in the era of high bandwidth and intimate interconnectedness. In 10 years, more and more jobs will allow for remote execution. In fact, commuting will be an anachronistic joke in the next 20 years for most professions. The whole idea of sheep herding and crowding into Manhattan every day so that they can have discussions and write reports in ludicrous. It's a waste of time, energy, money, gas, resources, you name it. A paradigm shift is underway and commuting will be going away in the next 20 years. So by the time they build that tunnel, we won't need it. So home prices will not be affected by this tunnel, if it ever gets built at all.

I think remote working is okay for a day or two weekly but not every day. There has to be a place where everybody can converge and work and discuss. Today it is Manhattan. Maybe tomorrow it would be some other city but there would always be cities for working. Or perhaps places like Ridgewood where a remote working office (for multiple company's employees) is coming up soon. Look at what Yahoo did with their remote working policy.

At least I won't be able to work remotely with no people contact at all for weeks and months.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post

If for no one else Amtrak needs replacement tunnels for the aging PRR Hudson River crossings that are well past their lifespan *and* were damaged by SS Sandy. New Jersey Transit is welcomed to come along for the ride, but for the sake of NEC service Amtrak needs those new tunnels.

If as originally designed and conceived the GWB had rail tracks things *might* be different. Building a new bridge isn't going to happen either.

It is going to be interesting to see what sort of financing plan the corrupt and disorganized PA comes up with to fund the NJ and NY portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey