Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 9,451 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My fiancee has a job offer in Greenwich, CT ($60,000). I have very strong interest from a place in Princeton, NJ, that would start me "in the 80s" with a sign-on bonus.

I do not know this area of the country AT ALL -- I grew up in Maryland and have lived/worked in Texas and now central Indiana.

Can anyone advise if it's possible/feasible/affordable, given these salaries, to live somewhere in between and commute in opposite directions? If so, where would you all recommend?

Thank you,

-S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:15 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
So you're looking at a total combined salary of about $140K per year. That is definitely "doable" in terms of finding a place to live. You won't be able to afford a larger home on that salary but you can still live fairly comfortably. But honestly, the commute to Greenwich from NJ is going to be brutal in terms of traffic, especially since you would need to cross a bridge every day. In my opinion it's not worth it for a 60K job unless you are only going to work there for a short time as a stepping stone to something bigger and better.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You'd have to live in Manhattan and then it's an hour drive to Greenwich and 90 minutes to Princeton. The bonus is that you'd be reverse commuting.

Living in NJ would mean they'd have to cross the GWB in the morning and then the Cross Bronx Expressway (it crosses the Bronx, but is certainly not express) that'll add 30-45 minutes depending, so then you're commuting the hour plus and they're in the car for 90 minutes.

But then, you're stuck in Manhattan at $140K. With two cars. That's going to be tough.

These jobs are diametrically opposed due to travel. You should pick Princeton and the figure something out for the fiance, as their 60K isn't going to get you too far either.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evecon12 View Post
Hi all,

My fiancee has a job offer in Greenwich, CT ($60,000). I have very strong interest from a place in Princeton, NJ, that would start me "in the 80s" with a sign-on bonus.

I do not know this area of the country AT ALL -- I grew up in Maryland and have lived/worked in Texas and now central Indiana.

Can anyone advise if it's possible/feasible/affordable, given these salaries, to live somewhere in between and commute in opposite directions? If so, where would you all recommend?

Thank you,

-S
To be succinct, NO! Even if you selected a town located midway between the two towns you'd be looking at a one way commute of nearly 2 hours each way for each of your commutes. (providing you would be working normal business hours.) Take a good look at a map and see the distance between the two towns, remembering you'd be traveling through a state that is incredibly crowded with millions of others all trying to traverse the overcrowded roads at the same time. Add to that the fact that mass transit is limited and is primarily geared towards getting people in/out of NYC and the employment hubs in northern NJ (Newark,Jersey City, et als.) It's a recipe for an extremely long and soul-sucking commute. Please take the time to read this thread,, //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-sticky.html to get a better idea of the realities of living and commuting in New Jersey and the NYC metro area. And do not get me started on the cost of living around here...

KoalaNJ

Old 04-01-2016, 12:45 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Its doable but a LONG commute for BOTH of you, and I wouldnt try anything from Manhattan. Manhattan is so crowded. I guess the other commentor was thinking railroad either way from NYC but Mnahattan is a whole nuther cookie.

I know someone who lived in Morris County years ago and commuted, ran a cable TV system or something up around Greenwich CT but on a good day Im thinking 1hr 15min or 90 minutes each way.

Then your other half is doing about the same going South to Princeton. Doable but LOTS of hours each way on the road for both of you. Other alt, you live closer to Princeton for 1 commute but still quite a haul through 3 states to get to CT.

Me, I would possibly do it, I'm sort of a trooper at things but you will have good days and bad and Princeton area is not cheap either.

Another possibility, live somewhere off I-287 halfway through NJ you will still have some crowded commutes. You'd want to drive up I-287 over the Tap, the Tappan Zee Bridge into CT while your partner travels South 287 south a bit then some back roads. NJ never built I-95 the real one decades ago, but even if we did, it would be crowded still.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You'd have to live in Manhattan and then it's an hour drive to Greenwich and 90 minutes to Princeton. The bonus is that you'd be reverse commuting.

Living in NJ would mean they'd have to cross the GWB in the morning and then the Cross Bronx Expressway (it crosses the Bronx, but is certainly not express) that'll add 30-45 minutes depending, so then you're commuting the hour plus and they're in the car for 90 minutes.

But then, you're stuck in Manhattan at $140K. With two cars. That's going to be tough.

These jobs are diametrically opposed due to travel. You should pick Princeton and the figure something out for the fiance, as their 60K isn't going to get you too far either.

I'm sorry Jay, although you and I usually agree, here I must disagree strongly. There is really no meaningful "reverse commute" anymore in Northern NJ. Either direction, it's still a heavy traffic load, albeit slightly less heavy in one direction occasionally during some stretches.

As far as the times given, I also think you are being optimistic. Having made the trip from Manhattan out to Princeton a number of times, I can tell you (door to door) it actually took me longer, closer to two hours.

And come to think of it, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the idea of owing 2 cars in Manhattan makes me nauseous. Parking fees alone will run you - about $400 a month!

KoalaNJ

Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Well, that's why I was making the case to give up on one of those jobs. Your succinct summary was where I was aiming but in a more roundabout explain-y way.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Well, thanks everyone for your input. It's been very helpful (and has confirmed what I feared).

If I did take the 80s-or-so NJ job, can anyone recommend somewhere that's nice to live but, well, more affordable than Princeton? I don't mind a moderately long commute.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM

You should refer to the sticky on the main forum page to get into more details then, that'll help us help you.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Oh thank you (and forgive me, I'm new here and also an idiot ).

Some details:
Where are you coming from? Indiana (Bloomington for me, South Bend for my fiancee)
Why are you moving? (Work)
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? (For me, Princeton NJ)

Will you buy or rent? (Rent for now - student loans to pay off!)
What is your budget ? (No clear idea yet, as I know nothing about the area)
What kind of place are you looking for ? (Simply an apartment to start is fine)

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? (Fiancee, who will be my wife by then)
Do you need/want good public schools? (Not necessarily; hope to have this job for at most a few years before moving on)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in? (We'd prefer safe and quiet as far as possible!)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. (Affordability, safety, quiet, and proximity to Princeton, more or less in that order).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey