Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!

So I have a job opportunity in Somerville, and I'd like to know where a single 30 year old woman could move to, and what to expect - below the answers to the sticky:

Where are you coming from? Puerto Rico
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Somerville, NJ

Will you buy or rent? I'd like to rent my first year while I sell my home in PR and get a feel for the area.
What is your budget ? I'm clear rent is sky high in NJ (read: double my actual mortgage), so I need to keep it as far below $1500 as possible.
What kind of place are you looking for ? My ideal would be a garden apartment in a walkable area where I can meet people. Looking for a 2/1 at minimum.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Just two kittens.
Do you need/want good public schools? No schools required.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in Young, artsy, alive

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Safety, urban/closeness to train stations, short commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:10 PM

324 posts, read 575,122 times
I can't see any reason to start your search outside of Somerville itself. It pretty much meets all of your requirements. However, finding a 2 bedroom in the area for under $1500 would be difficult, but you should have no trouble finding a 1 bedroom for that price.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,804 times
I just moved to Somerville from NYC.

It is as nice as you will get in the area. A 2/1 will be a struggle at your budget unless you share.

Prices are surprisingly high here for it being the middle of nowhere, probably due to the high property taxes.

Not to many young people here from what I have seen, but there is a train into NYC ($30 round trip).

Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
Sommerville is exactly what your looking for, I was only there for the first time recently but I was surprised how kool a town it is, check it out.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 12,824 times
You CAN find a 2br rental around Somerville for $1.5K. No need to increase your commute time from work. Enjoy the walkable downtown instead

Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantres View Post
I just moved to Somerville from NYC.

It is as nice as you will get in the area. A 2/1 will be a struggle at your budget unless you share.

Prices are surprisingly high here for it being the middle of nowhere, probably due to the high property taxes.

Not to many young people here from what I have seen, but there is a train into NYC ($30 round trip).
Middle of nowhere, that's funny. I guess if you're from Manhattan, Somerville might be considered the middle of nowhere but to many NJ resident Somerset County and in particular Somerville is perfectly situated right in the middle of everything.

One hr to NYC, one hr to the Jersey Shore, one hr to the Pocono mtns. Perfect!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Middle of nowhere, that's funny. I guess if you're from Manhattan, Somerville might be considered the middle of nowhere but to many NJ resident Somerset County and in particular Somerville is perfectly situated right in the middle of everything.

One hr to NYC, one hr to the Jersey Shore, one hr to the Pocono mtns. Perfect!

...plus, it's a town that is on its way up, rather than on its way down!

The town's administration has been successful in promoting Somerville as an "arts town". In the process, a lot of younger folks have moved in--along with art galleries--and the town is a nighttime/weekend destination for people interested in culture and good restaurants.

The ugly and moribund shopping center of the '70s was torn down several years ago, and in its place are contemporary buildings that contain nice retail spaces on the street level, and luxury housing on the upper levels. The proximity of the NJ Transit RR station to the genuinely walkable downtown makes it a desirable location for people who want to commute into Newark or NYC, but who also want a less hectic environment, complete with some nice diversions.

Additionally, the presence of Duke Farms (with its miles of pristine walking/hiking/biking trails, an orchid greenhouse, abundant bird-watching opportunities, and free plots of land for those who wish to grow their own vegetables) only a couple of minutes away from downtown Somerville provides another attractive adjunct to life in that town.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...plus, it's a town that is on its way up, rather than on its way down!

The town's administration has been successful in promoting Somerville as an "arts town". In the process, a lot of younger folks have moved in--along with art galleries--and the town is a nighttime/weekend destination for people interested in culture and good restaurants.

The ugly and moribund shopping center of the '70s was torn down several years ago, and in its place are contemporary buildings that contain nice retail spaces on the street level, and luxury housing on the upper levels. The proximity of the NJ Transit RR station to the genuinely walkable downtown makes it a desirable location for people who want to commute into Newark or NYC, but who also want a less hectic environment, complete with some nice diversions.

Additionally, the presence of Duke Farms (with its miles of pristine walking/hiking/biking trails, an orchid greenhouse, abundant bird-watching opportunities, and free plots of land for those who wish to grow their own vegetables) only a couple of minutes away from downtown Somerville provides another attractive adjunct to life in that town.

Glad to hear Somerville is getting some love, always seemed a bit underrated to me.

It's also 45 minutes or less to Morristown, New Brunswick, Princeton, Lambertville/New Hope, and the Lehigh Valley. Lovely hills to the north and farm country to the west.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:40 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
A recent NJ.com article highlighted additional development projects in Somerville.
All-in-all, the pace of new development projects, coupled with the migration of younger, artsy folks to the town, bodes well for Somerville's future.

Somerville's downtown transformation kicks into overdrive | NJ.com

Old 04-10-2016, 04:17 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Somerville is a good option however keep in mind that Downtown Somerville is dead after 12 30AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey