Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
a full stop is more dangerous in any situation because you have no way of getting out of the way if a fast moving car is entering or exiting in front of you.
Exactly!
When those marauding morons blast right past a yield sign without yielding to the traffic that is supposed to have the right of way, they sometimes cause me and other folks to make a full stop, whether we want to or not, and that is dangerous.

I'm glad to see that you finally acknowledge that those who ignore yield signs, and who refuse to yield, are putting others in danger on a daily basis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:30 PM

465 posts, read 607,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've driven many parts of NJ and found a number of drivers treats Yield signs like a STOP sign. This is wrong and dangerous.

Yield signs are often put at lane merges not at intersections. Take many merges that go into a main road, the speed of cars on the roads is around 30-50mph, I often see a traffic jam occurred because some did not drive up the ramp at a Yield sign instead did a full STOP.

Another place I often see is at the exit of shopping centers there's an exit ramp into the road and a Yield sign at the beginning of the ramp to let drivers know to Yield to cars from the main road that may turn into the ramp to enter the shopping center. Many drivers simply do complete stops at the ramp which makes it very dangerous since you need to reach a certain speed to even dare to enter the road. Often some cars on the road have to hit the brakes hard because cars exiting the ramp from a dead stop is too slow to keep traffic moving.

I witnessed an accident last week near a ramp entry into route 3 and lady was too slow from a dead stop entering route 3 and fast moving car hit her in the rear because it got boxed in by traffic. Had the lady slowly enter route 3 at a speed of 30mph, the accident would not happen.
because there is a car coming

but seriously, it depends on the intersection, i.e. if you can see there's no car, you should not be stopping. If you stop in these circumstances, King of the South will loudly beep and give you the finger when he passes you on the right to teach you a lesson.

Wow, I think I need a drink. Your post struck a nerve.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 18,259 times
Are you trolling? Take a spin on Route 4 or 17 and tell me not to do a full stop at a yield when coming out of a parking lot. Good luck rolling through. You're splitting right now - it's not black/white. You slow and <gasp> even stop to check oncoming traffic - you know why? Cause sometimes that person in oncoming traffic isn't turning into the parking lot and the outgoing driver doesn't want to get crushed turning out (people need to use their turn signals!).

That "fast moving car" in your anecdote was at fault because "the accident would not happen" if the idiot knew how to drive. Hmm...maybe you "witnessed" the accident because you were that very driver?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 AM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
Just cracks me up in a land where people drive 80-90mph on the highways - where we have thousands of serious accidents, that the only people starting threads about diving here are people complaining they are not able to drive fast enough!

Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Life is much easier if you don't spend your time critiquing every driver on the road and realize people are human and make mistakes. My husband has yet to learn this.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapedDictator View Post
Are you trolling? Take a spin on Route 4 or 17 and tell me not to do a full stop at a yield when coming out of a parking lot. Good luck rolling through. You're splitting right now - it's not black/white. You slow and <gasp> even stop to check oncoming traffic - you know why? Cause sometimes that person in oncoming traffic isn't turning into the parking lot and the outgoing driver doesn't want to get crushed turning out (people need to use their turn signals!).

That "fast moving car" in your anecdote was at fault because "the accident would not happen" if the idiot knew how to drive. Hmm...maybe you "witnessed" the accident because you were that very driver?
Been on Route 4 and 17 many times around Paramus. I think the design there is really bad, many entry ramps are only 1-2 car length and there should be some extra 3rd lane to allow entry which there are at some parts but right outside of GSP Mall is the most dangerous ramp imo. It's on a curve with high speed traffic and you got cars lined up from the mall exit to get in. I think the speed limit should be enforced there better because cars zoom past 50-60mph and the entry ramp is short and very few people can time it well with a rolling start. While driving there, it's very dangerous I see cars slowly pulling out of the ramp at 5-15mph which causes traffic to brake hard which lead to massive jams during rush hour.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 1,890 times
If there is oncoming traffic (i.e. right of way traffic) a Yield sign is, for all intents, a Stop sign. The issue that I see most often is drivers treating a Yield sign like it isn't even there. "I'll just nail it and they'll get out of my way!"

Old 04-13-2016, 12:28 AM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
You are supposed to YIELD to oncoming traffic. You can't just blow through a YIELD sign when there is traffic. That is MORE dangerous. A few years ago, I had to stop at a Yield sign because there were a few cars that had the right of way. Some moron who had no intention of even slowing down at the Yield plowed into me from behind. There was a curve but people who slow down would have seen me. Fortunately, I had a SUV with a hitch and he had a small car. I had a small dent in my rear bumper and his front was totally smashed. The police officer gave HIM the ticket and I had his insurance pay for my bumper.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:15 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
39:4-144. Stopping or yielding right of way before entering stop or yield intersections.

b. No driver of a vehicle or street car shall enter upon or cross an intersecting street marked with a “yield right of way” sign without first slowing to a reasonable speed for existing conditions and visibility, stopping if necessary, and the driver shall yield the right of way to all vehicular traffic on the intersecting street which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard; unless, in either case, the driver is otherwise directed to proceed by a traffic or police officer or traffic control signal.

ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20082009/PL09/319_.PDF

If the vehicle in FRONT of you can come to a full stop any time/reason and you don't feel confident that you can stop to avoid hitting them, you are the one posing the danger not he vehicle in front. In almost all cases, the vehicle at the rear in a collision is at fault (there are only a few exceptions which are difficult to prove). The basic rule is that one must maintain the ability to come to a full stop without rear ending the vehicle in front for ANY reason. If you could not, you are not maintaining safe distances and speed.

Last edited by usayit; 04-13-2016 at 04:37 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
The problem is people aren't taught HOW to drive. All they are taught is HOW TO PASS THE DRIVER'S TEST. If people were actually taught real driving skills like professional drivers are there would be less accidents.
This is so true. I could not agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey