Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 01:15 PM

167 posts, read 335,200 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in the area where 287 & 78 meet and need to buy a home nearby. I am a late 40's single female who likes peace and quiet. If my windows are open at night, I want to hear crickets, not cars driving past or people talking. However, I do not want to have 1+ acres of land to take care of. From what I've read so far, Bridgewater itself is a good choice, but from the maps, it appears that the neighborhoods are either too spread out or too squished together, like the areas below Rt 22. I like a neighborhood with sidewalks or a nearby park where I can walk the dog each evening after work but I don't want to hear my neighbors talking inside their house when I have my own windows open. (ie: No townhomes) Can someone direct me to a neighborhood where I can find a 3 BR, 2 bath house on about 1/4-1/2 acre of land, public water and sewer, for about $450-500k within 20 min or less drive to Rt 287 & 78? Also, would Hillsborough mean an awful commute each day if driving north in the morning to work and south in the evening back home? From what I read, it seems like the traffic is worse going the opposite way, but would want confirmation on that. The very last thing I want is to spend more than 20-30 min in the car each way to and from work. Such a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
If my windows are open at night, I want to hear crickets, not cars driving past or people talking. However, I do not want to have 1+ acres of land to take care of.
You probably want to be on an acre or close to it if that's what you really want. The smaller the lot, the closer together the houses are, usually. Also, if you're on less than an acre of land you're not going to be all that far from the road either. These reasons are one of the many we are looking for at least 5-6 acres for our next home. Not saying you need that much, but if want peace and quiet, you're going to need some buffer space.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM

I currently live on a little under 1/2 acre lot in the suburbs of IL, which works well for me because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to have someone take care of the yard work and snow removal. Even this close to neighbors, I don't hear much outside because the entire place pretty much shuts down after dark. The neighborhood is made up of smaller side streets off of the main roads, so there is very little local traffic after everyone is home for the evening. I'm looking for something similar in NJ. Sleepy suburbs.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:42 PM

29 posts, read 39,753 times
There are many neighborhoods that fit the qualifications you are looking for. What kind of time is reasonable for you when it comes to commuting?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM

I would like to keep my commute under 20 min each way.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
If you exclude Condo's and townhouses there are still plenty of neighborhoods in Bridgewater that fit your wants and budget.

Certainly not only these but
In Bridgewater, south of rt 202, between Beach and Milltown
Your budget might be a bit low but doable

In Bridgewater, Just south of rt 22, off Milltown
large townhouse, condo, single family homes development

You could consider all of Raritan Borough

Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,428 times
We live in Hillsborough and it's a lot like you describe.
Very beautiful, quiet community but not in the middle of nowhere.
My commute is to North Brunswick, and it is not bad at all....
25-30 minutes maybe?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:36 AM

Boater1 recommended Bridgewater south of Rt 202. I've read that the area isn't as nice as the area around Green Knoll. Not sure why, though, unless its just because the value of the homes are higher north of 202. I'm thinking now that I might just stay closer to work and get used to paying more for lawn care and snow removal. :-)

Old 04-19-2016, 01:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
Boater1 recommended Bridgewater south of Rt 202. I've read that the area isn't as nice as the area around Green Knoll. Not sure why, though, unless its just because the value of the homes are higher north of 202. I'm thinking now that I might just stay closer to work and get used to paying more for lawn care and snow removal. :-)
Martinsville and Green Knoll are your best bests in Bridgewater. You want to be North of rt 22. Unfortunately most of the homes in those areas are on well water but with public sewerage which I find desirable.

The main road thru Martinsville, Washington Valley Rd is fairly busy during commuter times but at night it is quiet.

Being in the mountainous area (if you can call 300' above sea level mountainous) keeps you away from any flood areas that you find in the lower elevations.

A lot of homes in Martinsville are on "goldilocks" lots. Not too small and not too big. 3/4 to 1 1/2 acre are typical .

I like Martinsville because you have a job in Bridgewater and Martinsville is the most desirable section of Bridgewater.

Yes I am biased.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:38 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
check out alot of neighborhoods in Brandenburg, seems to be exactly what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey