Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Sorry I have to disagree NYC lowered the starting salary for new police recruits
They have had many many drop out as they can't afford to live where required on the salary. I've also read the recruits are not the creme de la creme of the crop either.
I don't know what you've read, but nypd recruits, imho, have *never* been the creme de la creme.

Additionally, this is *not* NYC. This is New Jersey. The COL in NYC is far and above the COL in NJ. Additionally, with the number of people trying their best to become cops, then I'd say the supply is pretty high. Just look at the numbers on the civil service tests.

Quote:
Maybe I'm an oddball but I have no problem compensating someone who puts their life at risk every hour on the job to keep my community as safe as possible. I also do not begrudge the teachers given what they have to put up with every day.Even if it means their perks are better then mine in the private sector
Without typing out many paragraphs, all I can say is, I've addressed all this elsewhere.

I don't mind paying those who deserve it. I mind paying too much, too soon, with too many privileges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
The idea of getting to use overtime to jack up a pension is ludicrous.

Also, getting a 6 figure lump sum payout because you had good attendance?

In the pvt sector good attendance helps you stay gainfully employed.

Of course, if the money's not there what didfference does it make? You can promise anything if your a politician.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
[quote=doc1;2819577]The idea of getting to use overtime to jack up a pension is ludicrous. Don't be misinformed the pension is based on our final base pay. You cannot JACK up your pension with overtime.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
[quote=JERSEY MAN;2819630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
The idea of getting to use overtime to jack up a pension is ludicrous. Don't be misinformed the pension is based on our final base pay. You cannot JACK up your pension with overtime.
In NJ no, but that is SOP with the NYC unions.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
[quote=TheEmissary;2819715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post

In NJ no, but that is SOP with the NYC unions.
I got on the wrong Department. LOL

Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
[quote=JERSEY MAN;2819740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I got on the wrong Department. LOL
Tell me about it! I'm thinking of buying some land east of me to start a "meth lab" to supplement my pension!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I don't know what you've read, but nypd recruits, imho, have *never* been the creme de la creme.

Additionally, this is *not* NYC. This is New Jersey. The COL in NYC is far and above the COL in NJ. Additionally, with the number of people trying their best to become cops, then I'd say the supply is pretty high. Just look at the numbers on the civil service tests.

Without typing out many paragraphs, all I can say is, I've addressed all this elsewhere.

I don't mind paying those who deserve it. I mind paying too much, too soon, with too many privileges.

because the post was about NY not having the fiscal problems we have in NJ
I will point out NYC recruits may live in any of the 5 boroughs, Westchester, Orange and I believe Rockland counties.
They had to have a 4 year degree which I believe has been lowered to a 2 years degree as the pool is getting smaller with the pay cut for starting recruits.

You don't get a payout for good attendence you get compensated for unused sick & vacation time which is accruable...for the other poster who stated this

Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
because the post was about NY not having the fiscal problems we have in NJ
Right, but a budgeted surplus doesn't make it a good idea (because it still has to be budgeted).

Quote:
I will point out NYC recruits may live in any of the 5 boroughs, Westchester, Orange and I believe Rockland counties.
They had to have a 4 year degree which I believe has been lowered to a 2 years degree as the pool is getting smaller with the pay cut for starting recruits.
Or 2 years active service in the military. With education becoming more specialized (ie: associate's degrees in criminal justice), I don't see why thats an issue.

Also, a $14,000 drop in pay from 2005 to 2006 is not, what I'd call, a bright idea. Thats a 36% drop. A little bit... drastic from year to year, especially when easier positions are available elsewhere (ie: suburbs) where pay is appropriate (I don't consider $25k/yr appropriate. $30k, sure, but not $25k).

Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 AM

For comparison purposes:

Starting Salary

The current starting salary for a trooper is $58,748.29 (including uniform allowance). The second-year total compensation jumps to $65,662.39. Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188.48. Troopers receive yearly increments. All recruits receive $777.78 every two weeks, plus overtime pay. Room and board are also provided while training.

Newark *cadets* get $31,000/yr. I forget the increases though. I believe starting (out of the academy) was $37k, second year, $46k - someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, the raises are off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey