Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 PM

25 posts, read 29,208 times

Advertisements

I'm down to two places I'm considering for housing.

#1 -- Princeton Mews, which has a building bus that departs 15 minutes before the Train is scheduled to depart

Commute:
5 minutes -- Exit Home & Wait for Building Shuttle
15 minutes -- Difference between when the shuttle leaves Mews and the Train leaves
60 minutes -- train to penn station
23 minutes -- walk to work

Total: 103 minutes
with 23 minutes light exercise,
60 minutes quality computer or nap time

Option two: Apartment complex in Franklin Park on Rt 27

Commute:
3 minutes -- Exit Home & Start Car
20 minutes / 10.2 miles -- Drive to Neilson Plaza East Brunswick Park & Ride
10 minutes -- time I exit my car till I board the bus & and it leaves.
50 minutes -- Coach bus to 42&7
7 minutes -- walk to work

Total Time: 90
but less comfortable cause I'll be driving for 20 minutes instead of walking
And on a bus instead of train

I know the Coach Bus stops on Rt 27 as well, but very few express buses. And on the way back home it will likely add alot of time by taking the bus all the way to Rt 27 as there's no evening express

Is saving the 13 minutes each way by living in Franklin Park the clear choice? Or is the Train so much superior to the Bus in terms of comfort that the extra 13 minutes doesn't matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 PM

59 posts, read 123,216 times
As someone who has done the bus to PA from EB, I know that 50 minutes can easily be 63 minutes, or more, depending on the day. So I wouldn't go so far as to make the 13 min difference definite (unless you plan to take the 5:20 or 5:45 buses, those will get in quicker).

I can see you're money savvy, but driving to Princeton Jct would save you a huge daily inconvenience of taking the shuttle that throws you off by 15 min too. Also, the subway from Penn to your office would save time (yes, an added expense but you won't have to every day).

If you prefer Princeton, I'd go for it if the 13 min is the only thing holding you up. Of course, so many other things come into a housing decision. Best of luck.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 AM

Subway to work isn't really beneficial as it's not a direct subway, so would still have to walk 10 minutes, wait for subway a few min, and then take subway for a few min.

Driving to Princeton Jct doesn't seem like a great idea cause I believe there's only two lots that allow paid-daily, one is smaller, right next to platform (lot 7 i think)-- my guess it fills up before I'd wake up, and a huge lot across the tracks, but it looks like it would be a 5-7 minute walk in addition to the 5 min driving to station. Certainly an option if I find that by the time I'm going to the station, there's plenty of space and its more convenient.

My guess is I'd be leaving home around 7 if I were to be a bus rider -- but I could adjust that earlier if it really meant I'd save alot of time on the bus, or for driving to station.

Thanks for the response -- I just wanted to focus on the commute for this thread as you are right, there's so many other decisions and those other things aren't clear cut.

For example, the Franklin park apt is more spacious, cheaper by $300, and more sunlight coming in than mews.
But mews is slightly nicer quality, nicer location for evening/morning walks or bike rides, 10 minutes closer to my wife's work than Green Hills.

Last edited by eibwen; 04-25-2016 at 05:14 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Neither is an easy commute. The scheduled time for a bus anywhere within the rush hour is not even close to what is on the schedule. That includes 7:00 pm time slot. The bus I occasionally take to Bergen County any time between 7:00 and 7:30 pm regularly gets stuck in Manhattan traffic for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.

The Midtown Direct trains also get delayed pretty often as they are trying to squeeze into the two ancient, crumbling tunnels that connect continental US with Manhattan. And if there is an accident or a problem in the tunnel you are looking at 30-40 minutes delays and being redirected to Hoboken.

Best of luck in whatever commute you chose...

Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info --

Are the Coach buses comfortable? Can you use a small laptop, or in the winter with people's coats & bags, does laptop use become impossible?

I think I'm leaning toward the train right now

Old 04-26-2016, 05:35 AM

255 posts, read 455,725 times
Bus more comfortable than train, having done both. No middle seat issues, either.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:22 AM

214 posts, read 350,586 times
Having done both bus and train I would say that, bus is more comfortable if you want to sleep (usually no lights inside and with more vibration compared to train). Train is more comfortable if you want to read (lot of light with smooth ride, especially good for people with motion sickness like I have). However both have tunnel problems, and getting in/out of Penn station to the street with the narrow stairs is not a easy task so add that time as well.
Also having tried commute options from Metro Park, Edison, New Brunswick, Jersey Ave, Dunnelen, Princeton Jct and bus rides from Twin Rivers (Abbington Drive), 8A over the years, I would say that the most convenient place for commute to New York would be to stay very close to New Brunswick station (in one of those high rise apartments) and walk in/out of the station.

The other not well publicized option I found is stay in Twin Rivers Apartment and walk to the bus stop and take those express bus from Twin Rivers which go via exit 8 to port authority. I can tell you the time for the Twin Rivers commute to New York.
5 min walk to bus stop
65 min ride to port authority as long as you take either 6:10, 6:45, 7:05 bus from Twin Rivers
7 min walk to your office

65 min ride back to Twin rivers (three options from Port authority 4:50, 5:30, 6:05)

There are non-express buses from Twin Rivers too if you can't catch the express ones, they go via 8A and adds about 20-30 min to the overall commute.

Last edited by kosb; 04-26-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey