Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:07 PM

7,054 posts, read 19,275,904 times

Advertisements

Carpeting is rare. Most people don't want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 15,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeya3 View Post
Thanks GoHuskies.i did do a research Xchangeplace. For now that's what I have in mind, even though i saw some bad reviews from the previous tenants. The problem with Path train is after 7pm the frequency is like 1every 30 to 40 mins. That's another reason I am looking at Jersey City, though the area looks a bit run down.

Just checking if I am missing a nicer apt in Jersey City. Even if it's a bit far from train stations,but if they provide shuttle services,that would be great.
Anything in downtown Jersey City, so near the Exchange Place, Grove Street or Newport PATH stations, would be good. It's not at all a "run down" area. It's a quickly developing, highly gentrified area rather.

As someone else mentioned above, Journal Square would be fine, too, and that's also a developing area now. That should be a bit more affordable, but you shouldn't have any problem finding a 1-bedroom place downtown in your budget--it's just not going to be in one of the newest buildings downtown. With Journal Square, stay pretty close to Journal Square for your commute times. Figure another approximately 10 minutes if you're coming from Journal Square, plus however long it would take you to walk from your door to the PATH platform there.

You can easily do Jersey City to Brooklyn in about an hour, including from Journal Square as long as you do not need to walk far to the PATH station, but I would figure 40 minutes to an hour for the commute even from downtown. I'm 2 minutes from the Grove Street PATH station and it usually takes me 40 minutes to an hour door to door to get to or from Nets games at the Barclays Center. The fastest I ever made it might have been around 35 minutes, but it's usually longer than that, partially because it's a relatively long walk out of the WTC PATH to the subway (though that's supposed to change in the next couple years when they finally get the station finished--WTC PATH commutes have been a mess since 9/11, including that for a couple years right after 9/11, there was no WTC PATH of course).

30 minutes between trains is the maximum scheduled for PATH trains and that only starts around 11 p.m. or midnight. Trains are more frequent from 7 p.m. to 11 or whenever it changes over. And then by 5 or 6 a.m., they're more frequent again (except on Saturdays and Sundays when it takes a bit longer to switch over).

Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 PM

398 posts, read 981,896 times
I've lived in Gotham apartments in Jersey City and highly recommend it.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 PM

323 posts, read 561,416 times
Quote:
Hi LoveMySelf,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
I am checking out The Beacon.
It looks good, they have free shuttle and all the amenities I wanted except CARPETED unit. I have to compromise on that I guess. ��

Thanks again, i am planning to visit next week.
I will have to decide between The Beacon in Jersey City OR Xchange Junction in Secaucus.
the beacon is nice. throw down a few rugs and call it home!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 PM

323 posts, read 561,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
I've lived in Gotham apartments in Jersey City and highly recommend it.
another good suggestion.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

10 posts, read 11,672 times
Thank You - Terrapin Station, Djshinodalp & Lovemyself.

Terrapin Station - any nice apartments in Grove Street within 2, 3 minutes walk?

Thank You Djshinodalp & Lovemyself, I will add Gotham apartments to my list.

One more important criteria I am looking for is any Grocery Stores nearby? Like Walmart or shoprite..etc
From what I see in Journal Square, and Downtown Jersey City, people just carry 1 or 2 bags in their shopping cart.
We are used to having large loads in our trunk, is there any Walmart/Grocery within 2 or 3 miles within these apartments?
I will narrow my search keeping in mind these grocery stores as well.

Someone just suggested JACKSON HEIGHTS. Will that be a better option? I have never seen any apartments in NY before, no clue how bad it will be or how nice it will be for $2300 1 bedroom.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 PM

46 posts, read 101,864 times
The Beacon Condos, Mandalay, Gulls Cove, The Pier House are a few options. The Beacon and Gulls Cove being more in your budget

Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM

46 posts, read 101,864 times
These are all in Jersey city

Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM

398 posts, read 981,896 times
Quote:
Thank You - Terrapin Station, Djshinodalp & Lovemyself.

Terrapin Station - any nice apartments in Grove Street within 2, 3 minutes walk?

Thank You Djshinodalp & Lovemyself, I will add Gotham apartments to my list.

One more important criteria I am looking for is any Grocery Stores nearby? Like Walmart or shoprite..etc
From what I see in Journal Square, and Downtown Jersey City, people just carry 1 or 2 bags in their shopping cart.
We are used to having large loads in our trunk, is there any Walmart/Grocery within 2 or 3 miles within these apartments?

Someone just suggested JACKSON HEIGHTS. Will that be a better option? I have never seen any apartments in NY before, no clue how bad it will be or how nice it will be for $2300 1 bedroom.
Will you have a car? Shoprite is in walking distance; BJs is right there too. I used to go to the Secaucus super Walmart where there's a SAMs club also.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,608,116 times
Quote:
If you choose an apartment in downtown Jersey City the light rail goes down to Wal-Mart in Bayonne. Shop Rite & BJ's are along one of the light rail stops right in Jersey City. Rumor has it the BJ's is not long for the world however as that whole plaza is going to be demolished in favor of luxury residential and a new park. The developers want Shop Rite to stay so it will probably be rebuilt in the base of a luxury tower.

There is a Grocery store near Journal Square with limited parking. Can't recall the name but it is down Bergen Ave from the transportation center.

Another grocery store should open up along Grand St in Jersey City on the site of the former Pathmark. Have not checked in on that lately but last I heard Stop & Shop would be moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey