Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:03 AM

5,065 posts, read 2,273,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm worried about both.

We don't have kids,so schools are not a concern.

I am worried about things like traffic, train access to NYC (where I work) - which for Springfield is limited, being near family (primary),etc.

But yeah,I don't want to live in a political or social environment that will be toxic to me. Meaning Trump supporters.
So yeah, I want to know: are there a lot of them in Springfield?
Yes, there are. Don't move there.

I didn't vote for Trump (or Hillary), but I swear things like this make me want to vote for him just because. 'Toxic' my ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
In NJ that is absolutely middle class. Parsippany is middle class, Dunnellen is middle class, they are just different types of middle class. Neither is upper nor lower class. Springfield is also middle class.
Parsippany might be upper middle, but there's way too much wealth there to be middle class.

Union is also not lower/poor class like OP said.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM

232 posts, read 278,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Springfield sounds nice.
Once concern I have about Springfield: are there are a lot of Trump supporters?
You couldn't help yourself but bring politics into good topic didn't you?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM

You know what's actually toxic, and not flaming hyperbole? Pre-judging someone's worth as a neighbor and fellow human being based on a political vote. Honestly, I can't decide which would be less desirable; living next to Trump himself, or next to someone who practices this kind of false morality.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM

280 posts, read 338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Parsippany might be upper middle, but there's way too much wealth there to be middle class.

Union is also not lower/poor class like OP said.
Where are you getting this high class image of Parsippany? Must be from some past experience and not from facts. Directly from city data: median household income $100,176. Median home value $414,000. That's solidly middle class.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,223,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Where are you getting this high class image of Parsippany? Must be from some past experience and not from facts. Directly from city data: median household income $100,176. Median home value $414,000. That's solidly middle class.
What does middle class mean these days?

Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I didn't vote for Trump (or Hillary), but I swear things like this make me want to vote for him just because. 'Toxic' my ass.
Go visit some of the Texas forums and you'll find plenty of posts from conservatives who don't want to live near liberals. It's a two-way street.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Go visit some of the Texas forums and you'll find plenty of posts from conservatives who don't want to live near liberals. It's a two-way street.
We also have a place in rural PA - I'm aware. I personally don't like Trump, but we have a neighbor who voted for him (at least he had a lawn sign up), and he's the best neighbor a person could want. Small things like picking up our trash can when the wind blows it into the street, clearing our driveway when we got 24" of snow and didn't have our own snowblower, keeping dog treats when he found out we have dogs, even though he doesn't, asking us permission to put a shed up close to the property line when he was well within his rights to do it without asking, and more.

It's been two years of non-stop craziness with this bashing of Trump supporters. The right didn't pull many (or any) punches with Obama, but I honestly don't remember ordinary people taking such a beating. If the OP wants to base their home purchase on how many Trump supporters are in town, that's their prerogative, but it's time to call out such nonsense as being nonsense, and I'd say the exact same thing to anyone from the "other side".

Old 01-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We also have a place in rural PA - I'm aware. I personally don't like Trump, but we have a neighbor who voted for him (at least he had a lawn sign up), and he's the best neighbor a person could want. Small things like picking up our trash can when the wind blows it into the street, clearing our driveway when we got 24" of snow and didn't have our own snowblower, keeping dog treats when he found out we have dogs, even though he doesn't, asking us permission to put a shed up close to the property line when he was well within his rights to do it without asking, and more.

It's been two years of non-stop craziness with this bashing of Trump supporters. The right didn't pull many (or any) punches with Obama, but I honestly don't remember ordinary people taking such a beating. If the OP wants to base their home purchase on how many Trump supporters are in town, that's their prerogative, but it's time to call out such nonsense as being nonsense, and I'd say the exact same thing to anyone from the "other side".
I shuttle between NJ and TX, so I know plenty of people on both sides of the aisle. Rural conservatives are awesome in many respects. You couldn't ask for better neighbors. But Trump supporters are the reason I just lost five weeks of pay (as a contractor, I'll never see it again). They're also doing their best to take away my health insurance. They're also the reason my brother's Iraqi interpreter, who saved his life, is trapped in Syria and will probably die there, even though he was promised resettlement in the U.S. in exchange for his services. So it's a bit more personal for a lot of us this time. There's a level of ugliness and cruelty in this administration that isn't normal. Hard to compare it to any other presidency.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:10 AM

280 posts, read 338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
What does middle class mean these days?
To me it means people still have to work a regular job. Whether you're blue, pink, white, or green collar you're putting in 40+ hours every week to make a living. $100k household is still very solidly middle class in NJ. You aren't rolling in dough or have the luxury of not working for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey