Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM

167 posts, read 334,797 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to NJ soon for a job in Bridgewater and have been looking on line for homes in the area. I've noted some nice homes in the Chambers Brook neighborhood, just off of Readington and Harlan School Rds in Branchburg. They look like very pretty homes but I'm wondering why so many are for sale in that little neighborhood. Is there something going on there that makes it not as nice a place to live compared to the rest of Branchburg or compared to Bridgewater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM

No one has any opinions on this area??

Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM

560 posts, read 539,605 times
its actually a great community area for first time buyers as property in Jersey and especially around Branchburg is expensive. my parents in law retired with mortgage paid off on their townhome from northern Jersey, so it is quite ideal for retirement and first time buyers or a young family. Every spring, theres always quite fair bit going on market because those first time buyers are moving up, deaths in the retirement homes, as you can see theres actually a very small market for homes under 400K in this town.

you cant go wrong there. also check out condos in the cedarbrook community too.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 PM

Thanks. I really, really don't want to live in a shared-wall situation after having single family homes for so many years. The cost of homes in the area just make it difficult to find something that isn't on/near a busy road, flood zone or railroad tracks in the price range of mid 400's. I'll keep looking though. A few listings have come up on MLS but the good ones get snagged immediately. Real estate must be improving in central NJ.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:34 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
I will be relocating to NJ soon for a job in Bridgewater and have been looking on line for homes in the area. I've noted some nice homes in the Chambers Brook neighborhood, just off of Readington and Harlan School Rds in Branchburg. They look like very pretty homes but I'm wondering why so many are for sale in that little neighborhood. Is there something going on there that makes it not as nice a place to live compared to the rest of Branchburg or compared to Bridgewater?
It is highly likely the reason there are so many homes for sale in that area is that it is a known flood zone, that recently experienced several floods. While the home you are looking at may not itself flood, access to the home is likely to be an issue, as when the road is closed, you may not be able to get to or out of your home. Also the some (a lot) of the area is subject to mandatory evacuations during flood threats. Not all homes are affected though as the topography in the area includes some hills. Best bet would be to call/contact the township and talk with their Emergency Management Council head, Sgt. Kevin Anderson. here is a link to their website Branchburg Township New Jersey Branchburg Township New Jersey

This fairly recent article has some pictures of the flooding one often sees in the area. Somerset County News | New Jersey Local News - NJ.com You should note that these pictures were taken after a heavy downpour, not during really bad/unusual weather conditions like a hurricane.

And definitely check any home you are considering with this website to see if the property will require federal flood insurance, FreeFlood.com - Is My House in a Flood Zone?

KoalaNJ

Old 05-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Thanks, KoalaNJ! I don't want to go anywhere near a flood zone. I figured there must be something up with the area for so many nice houses to be going up for sale at the same time in that little area when there are relatively few for sale (in my price point) in the parts of bridgwater that I'm also looking into. As much as I hate to do it, it's seeming like I might have to consider a town home. Finding one with a fenced back yard area that allows two giant breed dogs might be a challenge tho. :-/

Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 PM

I noticed that one of the links I posted earlier was broken, so I'm posting again. Hopefully it will work this time. If it does not work, google "branchburg area roads closed due to flooding after torrential rainfall" and the article should come up.

Branchburg area roads closed due to flooding after torrential rainfall | NJ.com

KoalaNJ

Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
Thanks, KoalaNJ! I don't want to go anywhere near a flood zone. I figured there must be something up with the area for so many nice houses to be going up for sale at the same time in that little area when there are relatively few for sale (in my price point) in the parts of bridgwater that I'm also looking into. As much as I hate to do it, it's seeming like I might have to consider a town home. Finding one with a fenced back yard area that allows two giant breed dogs might be a challenge tho. :-/
I agree finding a TH with a fence enclosed private yard and which will accept two large dogs will be hard to find, to say the least. Have you searched north of Bridgewater for a SFH? (I know you looked south/southwest) You may find some SFH homes within your price range in Sterling, Long Hill, Myersville, Millington, or Berkeley Hts. Your commute will still be quick/easy and you wont run into the flooding issues you found when looking south/southwest of Bridgewater. Also check out Bernardsville,, there are some lovely older homes (well kept up) in the boro at reasonable prices that I believe will be within your budget. Again your commute to Bridgewater would be easy/quick.

Also do not rely just on the mls for all available homes. Check out http://gsmls.com/ or http://realestate.nj.com/ as well as zillow or trulia.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 05-08-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 PM

Thanks, KoalaNJ. I've been looking in the Branchburg and Bridgewater areas because they seem ideally located near work, shopping, doggy daycare and are both a closer starting point to drive down to the Baltimore & Philly areas to see friends and family. My realtor sent me the gsmls link and I've been looking on the Weichert site as well, because they seem to keep it updated. This evening, I'll have a look at the towns north of Bridgewater that you suggested to see if I have better luck with SFHs in that direction. Your recommendations are much appreciated!

Old 01-26-2018, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,590 times
Sundari

Did u subsequently move to this community chamber brooks in branchburg ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey