Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:13 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times

Advertisements

$250 in gas??? I just did a round-trip to Boston for $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 PM

323 posts, read 562,088 times
my mom has a knack for this. some treasures shes found on the trash: italian leather jacket, excellent condition, 100 gal aquarium, not a single leak, art, ornate bird cages, a tire swing.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I know a guy who literally makes a living by " dumpster diving" and he does pretty well.
He picks up old furniture and restores it, old appliances and repairs then sells them.
On the weekends he's sells the things at swat meets and flea markets or advertises them on line. I am often surprised at what people throw away.....

Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
On the weekends he's sells the things at swat meets and flea markets or advertises them on line.
With all of those fleas, is it any wonder that he has to do a lot of swatting?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
If I (1) drove a pick up truck or a van, or even a larger SUV, and (2) had more technical & creative savvy, I'd be picking up some of the furniture items I see curbside, for DIY refurbishing and re-purposing. Shelves, tables, desks, wingback chairs, hutches. But I can't really fit that much inside a sedan. I can barely fit a kitchen or office chair. I guess I also don't have the muscle to be moving something like a hutch by myself, no matter how much cross fit I think I'm doing.

I saw an antique looking steamer trunk on the street a few months ago while I was out on a jog. It was a little rough looking but I thought it would be a great decorative piece for a patio space I want to fill up with something other than assembly line stuff from Costco and the like. However, when I went back with my car about an hour later, it was gone. Damn scavengers!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:08 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
With all of those fleas, is it any wonder that he has to do a lot of swatting?

knowing this guy ... He'd probably train them as a flea circus.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 6,457 times
My uncle looked for chair frames that he would redo with fabric. They came out nice. We just put out a solid pine desk that we didn't want to bother sanding and refinishing. And last year my son's pottery barn train table/bookcases went to curb.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
My friend has two gorgeous pieces in her dining room. One is a very high dresser in which she keeps flatware and tablecloths and other items, and the other is a cabinet with glass doors. They look as though they match, but she garbage-picked both of them and then refinished them with a distressed antique white look.

My brother garbage-picks furniture all the time, especially small tables or chairs, refinishes them, and then puts them out on a garage sale. I just got two "new" tables from him for my own place.

I visited my daughter in Albany this week. Got there around 11 a.m. on Wednesday. She'd already found a small bookshelf to put in her room in her apartment that someone had left out for garbage day on her way back from the coffee shop. It doubles as a nightstand. That's my girl!

My church runs a big sale every two years. Better than a rummage sale--we've got a guy who is good at these types of things, and he finds people who donate furniture, appliances in good working order, even a boat this past year. There's always a lot of stuff that doesn't go, books and glassware and clothing and those silverplated trays and serving dishes people used to give as gifts back in the 70s and nobody wants anymore, so near the end of the sale he puts a "curb pickup" notice on Craigslist that there is free stuff to be had, and they show up like ants at a picnic. It's amazing. He whips out his laptop, puts out the notice, and within 15 minutes people are pulling up in front.

One person's trash...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-28-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
I felt compelled to bump this thread-yesterday while we were relaxing after a family BBQ my neighbor shot me a text that his wife saw a lawn mower out at the curb (garbage day is Tuesday) while she was on a walk. I took a walk down the road, saw the mower with a bulk sticker on it, and rolled it home. It took about 20 minutes to drain the watery sludge filled gas tank and flush the carburetor. Started right up It should bring $60-75 on Craigslist.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
heck..I got my solid wood kitchen table with 6 upholstered ladder back chairs from someones garbage. I checked it over to make sure it had no bugs.. redid the seats and polished the wood. It's better quality that I could have purchased today. I also got a side table with a little drawer that is the all the rage right now and the funny thing about that was the person who threw out the side table threw away a box that originally contained one of those mdf round end tables. ugh.. but her loss, my gain. I still have both items and it's been almost 17 years now.

I put stuff out for the garbage too and it disappears before the trash guys even show up.

Personally, I'd rather see someone make use of what I throw away then it end up in the dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey