Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,396 times

Advertisements

Hi

We would like to move to Princeton (Princeton school district), but don't know the difference between the neighborhoods there. Hopefully someone familiar with Princeton can shed some light on the difference between the neighborhoods there.

We are also interested in schools, what is the difference between the elementary schools? Are any of them more focused on academics or sports than the other?

Is it easy to park at the station in the morning, my husband will be commuting to Manhattan.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

44 posts, read 63,647 times
You can park at the dinky station (Transportation & Parking). You can also drive to Princeton Junction station and park there at the daily lots.

As to the schools, they're all good (https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...source=fb_e_nj). After elementary school there's only 1 middle school (John Witherspoon) and 1 high school (Princeton High) so there's no difference there.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterPrincetonHomes View Post
You can park at the dinky station (Transportation & Parking). You can also drive to Princeton Junction station and park there at the daily lots.

As to the schools, they're all good (https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...source=fb_e_nj). After elementary school there's only 1 middle school (John Witherspoon) and 1 high school (Princeton High) so there's no difference there.

Parking at PJ station is not so easy. It is misleading to say that one can just "park there at the daily lots" Maybe if you get there at 5 a.m. on a weekday. <g>

Not sure how long a wait list there is currently for a parking permit at PJ station?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,396 times
Thanks. I just saw that there is a 4 year wait for parking at the Alexander lot at Princeton Junction (the only lot available to non West Windsor residents). There is also a waiting period for the Princeton Dinky station although the website doesn't say how long the wait is, apparently there is also an option for metered parking. I guess one option will be for me to drop my husband off at the station in the morning.

I would still like to have some information on the schools, so hopefully someone who knows the difference between the schools will post. I know from experience that no two schools are the same even if they feed into the same MS and HS.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Parking at PJ station is not so easy. It is misleading to say that one can just "park there at the daily lots" Maybe if you get there at 5 a.m. on a weekday. <g>

Not sure how long a wait list there is currently for a parking permit at PJ station?
This is true, daily parking is limited and fills up very early. The "new' wait lists for Wallace is 8 years and Alexander is 3 years.

West Windsor Parking Authority - Permit Info

Better to take the Free B bus to the new Dinky Station or move to WW and get priority parking.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM

44 posts, read 63,647 times
daily parking in princeton junction is available if you get there before 7:15, Friday is even better. So it's not as scary as you think. That said, working in Manhattan and living in Princeton is just tough - I used to work in Jersey City and commuted from Princeton - I ended up switching to driving, and even that was too taxing

Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM

300 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post

This is wrong, things have got lot better after they have opened up new lots and many people doing WFH. It is possible to get parking even around 7.30 based on anecdotal conversation. But agree with above poster, depending on where you live on Princeton, you are looking at frustrating driving getting in and out of Princeton. Considering other towns like West Windsor which offers similar school but less stressful driving.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
Nobody answered your question regarding the elementary schools in Princeton, so I will take that one on. Excluding the charter school, there are four, and all are pretty darn good:

Riverside -- Generally thought to be "the best" of a good bunch. Many university families here.

Littlebrook -- Smaller, low-key. Tight-knit. Had been dominated socially and politically by a few families, not sure that's as true now.

Community Park -- Bigger. Downtown location, serves a more diverse student body (lots of Spanish speakers). Parents dig it.

Johnson Park -- More bucolic setting, has nature trails. Used to serve the "rich part" of town, but redistricting has made it way more diverse.

If you are buying a house and care what school you attend, make sure you check the districting carefully. Many folks who buy in the Western section (a.k.a "the rich part") assume they're zoned to JP, but end up with CP instead, to their surprise. They generally end up loving CP, by the way.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey