Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 21,682 times

Advertisements

I was hoping the knowledgeable folks might have some feedback before I make a final decision on where to live. I lurk here sometimes and really appreciate the feedback you have provided in the past.

We are currently in CT. Husband's job is moving to Florham Park (Campus Drive) for 2 years. I work in Midtown East NYC.

Current plan is to live in northeast Hoboken (near ferry) and he will drive to Florham Park.

I am familiar with the NYC commute from Hoboken - my question relates to the commute to Florham Park.

We had the same scenario 5 years ago (his job was then was relocated elsewhere and now being moved back) and his commute from Hoboken to FP wasn't terrible - about 45 min to an hour. I have heard that with all of the new development in north Hoboken it will be worse now. Does anyone have an idea of how bad it will be?

Also if you can think of a better option, please let me know. Plan is to rent with a budget of 4-6k per month. Keeping both of our commutes as short as possible in a nice, safe, family friendly area is the top priority.

We have an infant but the move is only temporary so schools are not a concern. We would love more space (house instead of apartment) but are concerned my commute to NYC will be bad if we move deeper into NJ. Goal is for each of us to have a commute under an hour.

We briefly considered living in NYC but have eliminated that option since his commute would be worse and we'd be subject to city income tax.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
The commute from Hoboken into Morris County isn't terrible, but Jersey City is probably a better option, as it's closer to the on ramp.

With a budget of $6,000 a month, you can rent 2 places. One in Florham Park and Hoboken.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 PM

696 posts, read 906,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The commute from Hoboken into Morris County isn't terrible, but Jersey City is probably a better option, as it's closer to the on ramp.

With a budget of $6,000 a month, you can rent 2 places. One in Florham Park and Hoboken.
^^++. Try to find something near Newport. (Exit 14C on the NJ Turnpike). The drive to Florham Park would involve going a couple of exits on the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14 -> Route 78 -> Route 24 -> Columbia Turnpike. 45 - 65 minutes depending on traffic; ongoing construction on Route 78 and the Pulaski Skyway is an X-Factor.

You can take that the PATH train from Newport to 33rd and 6th Ave with additional connection(s) for the East Side.

There is A LOT of new construction in the area, mostly high rises with some townhouses and loft buildings. Lots of Professional couples with young children (who will likely move once they hit school age). You will need a building with a garage space since street parking is impossible; that will cost app $300/month.

Check with an accountant about NYS State Income Tax requirements since IIRC if one spouse works in NY and the other in NJ, NY considers the non NY spouses income as taxable to NY.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Another option: train?

The Campus Drive area has a lot of companies that provide shuttles to the Convent Station train station. I'm guessing the train would be about 45-50 minutes from Hoboken (plus time getting to/from the stations). It's longer than driving, but it can be productive or relaxing time on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey