Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:24 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,002,269 times

Advertisements

I would pass on both towns. With the ridiculously high taxes residents pay in West Orange, I would expect better schools. Outside of the Manor section, Kearny isn't that nice of a town. I would recommended Rutherford or Fair Lawn! Nice walkable towns with good schools and your budget can get you something at the entry level of these towns. Both towns have diversity as well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 01:18 PM

7,945 posts, read 7,299,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WO2Phl View Post

Up-The-Hill has a few different commercial districts like in Pleasantdale and St. Cloud. But they're really spread out from each other. And they're also on major roads that sorta feel like highways. (Like Eagle Rock Ave., Pleasant Valley Way.)

WOHS '78 here. Do they still break the town down as 1st Mountain and 2nd Mountain?

I recognize the Up/Down The Hill stuff but I always used it to refer to our own hill, which was 1st Mountain (grew up on Gregory).

BTW don't ever forget that Carole King wrote the Monkees' hit Pleasant Valley Sunday in and about West Orange!

Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
WOHS '78 here. Do they still break the town down as 1st Mountain and 2nd Mountain?

I recognize the Up/Down The Hill stuff but I always used it to refer to our own hill, which was 1st Mountain (grew up on Gregory).

BTW don't ever forget that Carole King wrote the Monkees' hit Pleasant Valley Sunday in and about West Orange!
I live on First Mountain facing east. Great view of the NYC skyline from my house. I have never heard of anyone refer to a "second mountain". Is that the mountain that goes up towards Livingston and Roseland?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM

7,945 posts, read 7,299,784 times
Yes. Other side of Pleasant Valley Way. My aunt and uncle lived over there, on Lorelei Road off Mt. Pleasant.

I just googled "West Orange"+"Second Mountain" and found http://www.westorange.org/index.aspx?NID=99 which talks about the terminology. It refers to Second Watchung Mountain.

I agree about the view. We took my sister's then-boyfriend, who was from a small town in South Jersey, up to the Rock Spring golf course one evening and he was blown away by the skyline and the urban expanse before him!

Last edited by jtab4994; 10-10-2016 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Fixed the westorange.org link

Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,114,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I live on First Mountain facing east. Great view of the NYC skyline from my house. I have never heard of anyone refer to a "second mountain". Is that the mountain that goes up towards Livingston and Roseland?
Yeah, Second Watchung Ridge, on the west side of Pleasant Valley Way. I think when most people refer to "the hill" they mean the first ridge; there's no large distinction between the west side of the first ridge and the east side of the second.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:35 AM

16 posts, read 20,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, Second Watchung Ridge, on the west side of Pleasant Valley Way. I think when most people refer to "the hill" they mean the first ridge; there's no large distinction between the west side of the first ridge and the east side of the second.
The first ridge is "the hill." On the side of town that would send their kids to what was Edison for Jr. High/Middle School, the border was Prospect. But on the other end, it would be Prospect until Northfield Ave. and then Gregory from Northfield to the South Orange border.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 PM

334 posts, read 729,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I think you have been out of town too long. I have been living in WO for close to 10 years and this comment is just plain silly. Pretty "rough" compared to what? I walked these streets almost every day when my daughter went to preschool in that area. The houses are not as nice as other parts of town, but "rough" is a ridiculous way to describe this area. I have never felt even remotely unsafe and the kids at school walk to Colgate Park to play every day. There is certainly no drug dealing going on. Go take a walk down South Orange Ave. in Newark if you want to know what "rough" looks like.

My daughter now attends Redwood Elementary. The school is top notch and ranked a 9 out of 10 on Greatschools. Edison school is now a 6th grade middle school that all kids in town attend. The other 2 middle schools are Liberty and Roosevelt. My neighbor attends Liberty. The school is brand new and he loves it there.
Ansky, I disagree with you about the drug-dealing. It may not be as open-air and rampant like in some other places, but an element of it does exist. Before I bought my home in Pleasantdale, I lived in both the valley and the Watching Avenue area when I was in high school.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 PM

728 posts, read 1,957,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Ansky, I disagree with you about the drug-dealing. It may not be as open-air and rampant like in some other places, but an element of it does exist. Before I bought my home in Pleasantdale, I lived in both the valley and the Watching Avenue area when I was in high school.
Agreed. Just read the chronicle there is a decent amount of petty crimes, drug dealing crimes and occasional violent crime in the down the hill neighborhoods. Over time if Edison village works out well it could begin to change the area.The rest of West Orange has about the same amount of crime (mostly all petty stuff) as its neighbors (Verona, Roseland, Livingston, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey