Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
blather, blather, blather
So how exactly should homebuyers choose a town where they are likely to find compatible neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
So how exactly should homebuyers choose a town where they are likely to find compatible neighbors?
You start with your dog. An unhappy dog can make for an unhappy family. So canvas the area and examine the hair color of the dogs. If you see too many dogs with similar patterns or hair color, stay away. Because the dog is going to need a proportionate representation of other animals whose hairs reflect light at varying wavelengths. If light bounces off too many similar dogs at the same wavelength, your dog won't know how to deal with other dogs in the future who have different patterning.

Oh wait, dogs aren't this stupid. But liberals are.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
More blather.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You shouldn't.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't.
Sorry, I don't understand.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 AM

12 posts, read 13,575 times
Thanks 46H. Will check the two Glens and Ridgewood.

Thanks amazing09 and Kthnry. We will look at the towns on the train lines you mention.

Agree with you teachbeach. This was our original premise too..rent close to where we would buy in the future. However, the number of variables we are grappling with a move with 3 children is testing our conviction and definitely some of our assumptions!

'What British say' and 'what British mean' always brings a smile, despite reading it umpteen times...mainly because it is so true! Thanks sonofagunk.

Blackjack2000, you are right. London real estate is quite similar to NYC in many respects. The cores of the two cities are almost identical in how they behave. Its the surroundings that differ. In my experience, geographic structure of the two cities drives this difference. London is almost circular, with the most expensive real estate in the centre (zone 1). House prices fall as you move from zone 1 outwards. Given the underground (tube / subway) and national rail connectivity (generally good), commuting from suburbs into the city is reasonably good. Most importantly, the circular shape offers so many opportunities in terms of communting time and rental/purchase price. Almost like a continuum in all possible directions. As an example, this allows me to live 30 minutes from the City (Manhattan equivalent) in a good suburb, at a lower rental (relative to something similar in NYC).

On the other hand, the triangular shape of Manhattan, water bodies around it and so on makes real estate choices outside Manhattan to be a lot more variable. I am sure there are several other reasons driving this...I am not a real estate expert but that's my educated guess on the difference in real estate between these two amazing cities.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM

702 posts, read 540,231 times
Quote:
Can I just say "diversity" be damned and opine that it is instead best to seek out, and hang with, and live with, the best people of highest character and honesty and value and NOT WORRY about their color, income, religion, or sexuality? "Inclusion" that is not based on evaluation of quality and character and value is a BAD POLICY. Can I think of something more asinine than picking an area in which to live based on the reflectivity of the skin of the natives or who they sleep with? Possibly, but, and I am smart, it would take a good long while.

Okay, not sure what triggered this but you should probably take it up with the OP since he's the one that mentioned diversity in one of his posts. I think Summit, Millburn, Chatham, and Short Hills are fine towns, but if a person is looking for diversity, South Orange and Maplewood is stronger in that area. Do you disagree? Because that was whole point of my post. Your opinion that we are wrong for valuing diversity is noted.

Quote:
So much pusillanimous and putrescent PC crap these days...

Wow, angry much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buguch View Post
Blackjack2000, you are right. London real estate is quite similar to NYC in many respects. The cores of the two cities are almost identical in how they behave. Its the surroundings that differ. In my experience, geographic structure of the two cities drives this difference. London is almost circular, with the most expensive real estate in the centre (zone 1). House prices fall as you move from zone 1 outwards. Given the underground (tube / subway) and national rail connectivity (generally good), commuting from suburbs into the city is reasonably good. Most importantly, the circular shape offers so many opportunities in terms of communting time and rental/purchase price. Almost like a continuum in all possible directions. As an example, this allows me to live 30 minutes from the City (Manhattan equivalent) in a good suburb, at a lower rental (relative to something similar in NYC).

On the other hand, the triangular shape of Manhattan, water bodies around it and so on makes real estate choices outside Manhattan to be a lot more variable. I am sure there are several other reasons driving this...I am not a real estate expert but that's my educated guess on the difference in real estate between these two amazing cities.

I see, I'm not as familiar with London, but there are a bunch of neighborhoods on the Jersey side which sound analogous to the London zones you're referring to. PATH trains will get you quickly into downtown or midtown Manhattan from Hoboken, Jersey City, Harrison, or Newark (less than 30 minutes) and there are plenty of good options close to PATH stations. Jersey City and Hoboken have vibrant downtowns and are not nearly as pricey as Manhattan. Check out stuff around the Grove Street station in Jersey City.

Also, have you asked on the New York forum? I'm imagine there are equivalent areas in Brooklyn and Queens that are more affordable than Manhattan but can get you into the city quickly.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Okay, not sure what triggered this but you should probably take it up with the OP since he's the one that mentioned diversity in one of his posts. I think Summit, Millburn, Chatham, and Short Hills are fine towns, but if a person is looking for diversity, South Orange and Maplewood is stronger in that area. Do you disagree? Because that was whole point of my post. Your opinion that we are wrong for valuing diversity is noted.

Correct, it is wrong and it is bad values."Diversity" is a code word for discrimination. It is selecting a town based on the race of its residents. It is rejecting another town based on the race of its residents. It is the new "nice" way to discriminate.

Quote:
Wow, angry much?

Not really anger, more like contempt for the vacuous way people worship at the altar of political correctness.

I depart now, so as to discontinue trampling on the OPs thread. It is interesting, though, how bad philosophy and bad politics filters down to literally everything we do.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 AM

702 posts, read 540,231 times
Quote:
Correct, it is wrong and it is bad values."Diversity" is a code word for discrimination. It is selecting a town based on the race of its residents. It is rejecting another town based on the race of its residents. It is the new "nice" way to discriminate.

As I said, your opinion on diversity has been noted, but it doesn't seem like you're offering any disagreement that for those who value it, South Orange and Maplewood are stronger in that area.

Quote:
Not really anger, more like contempt for the vacuous way people worship at the altar of political correctness.

I'm sorry you find my values contemptuous, and I have no idea what they have to do with political correctness, but I'm happy to discuss them with you in another thread.

Quote:
I depart now, so as to discontinue trampling on the OPs thread. It is interesting, though, how bad philosophy and bad politics filters down to literally everything we do.

That's probably not a bad idea. you came into the thread and offered nothing to the OP other than your opinion that one of his considerations in deciding where to live should "be damned" and is, apparently, contemptuous.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
Diversity is a good thing! It is the opposite of discrimination. At the minimum, it represents awareness and tolerance. If the town population is diverse, you hope it filters down to the schools as well in the form of positive attitudes. Who worries about this more? Obviously people who are in the minority.

Staying on point, if OP finds a town where he/she is comfortable with respect to cost of living, median income etc, they should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey