Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,690 times

Advertisements

Good evening , is there someone here who can tell me about the area sunnyside in the city of linden . I live in Brooklyn , me and my wife planning to buy a house in linden . We are relatively young people , and we expect a child , do you think it's a good choice moving to Linden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I have never heard of any area called Sunnyside outside of NY but maybe someone else has? Linden is okay in my book but just okay. For my personal tastes it's slightly too big and densely populated, I like places slightly more laid back. It's all a short ride from the big Yapple so I would def ck places out in person if I was looking as you are.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:09 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
linden is a old industrial town, still has large oil refinery's, think the smelly part of the turnpike,
that's linden.

I would only live there if that's all I could afford, there are better town's nearby, I would expand
my search.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:39 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I am responding as somebody who lived in the Sunnyside neighborhood of Linden for 8 years, and later lived in Rahway and still had occasion to visit Linden frequently after moving out of that town.

Yes, Linden is a heavily industrialized town, but the Sunnyside neighborhood is at the extreme southwestern end of Linden, and is actually several miles from the industrial areas that lie east of Route 1 & 9 and in the vicinity of the turnpike. As a result, Sunnyside isn't really "smelly" as the prevailing winds almost always take the stench of the refineries (note: there is no apostrophe in the plural of "refinery") over toward Staten Island. Sunnyside is essentially an area characterized by well kept-up smaller single family homes, with nicely maintained front yards.

If somebody chooses to live in Linden, the Sunnyside neighborhood is definitely the best neighborhood in the entire town, and it is--to a great extent--indistinguishable from the adjacent parts of Rahway and Clark that border Sunnyside. If you didn't see the signs announcing "Entering Clark" or "Entering Rahway", it is unlikely that you would realize that you had left Sunnyside. That is how similar they are.

That being said, over the past decade or so, the crime problems of Elizabeth and--to a lesser extent--Roselle, have crept into Linden. The good news is that the parts of Linden that are most affected by this spill-over of crime are adjacent to Elizabeth and Roselle, and Sunnyside is much less affected than the more northerly parts of Linden. However, the fact remains that the overall crime rate has risen over the past decade or so.

Another factor to consider is that Linden's schools are...not the best. While they are not in the same bottom-of-the-basement category as the schools in NJ's inner cities, the fact remains that they are below-average in quality, when compared to schools statewide.

Yes, I can think of many places to live that are better than 21st Century Linden, but at the same time I can think of many neighborhoods that are far worse places to live than the Sunnyside neighborhood of Linden.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey