Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I could counter with your exact argument...

Why do you consider yourself regulator of the speed of the left lane? Just switch to the center lane and pass me by as you make your way to an early death.
That doesn't make sense. The very reason the unwritten rule exists is NO ONE except law enforcement is regulator of the speed of the left lane. It is called the passing lane for a reason. I have no idea why the person behind me is going faster than me, so as a courtesy I move over and let them thru. The cops have the job of regulating that speed if need be.

Your "pass me as you make your way to an early death" comment pretty much sums up your position but your failure to realize that you acting as judge/jury on the road actually makes it LESS safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
That doesn't make sense. The very reason the unwritten rule exists is NO ONE except law enforcement is regulator of the speed of the left lane. It is called the passing lane for a reason. I have no idea why the person behind me is going faster than me, so as a courtesy I move over and let them thru. The cops have the job of regulating that speed if need be.

Your "pass me as you make your way to an early death" comment pretty much sums up your position but your failure to realize that you acting as judge/jury on the road actually makes it LESS safe.

We're just going to disagree on this one. Unwritten rules of the road are as laughable as unwritten rules in sports. If they were important enough, it would be an actual rule.

There are only two possible outcomes from me maintaining my 80 mph speed: 1) the driver behind me slows down 2) the driver behind me goes around me and continues with his/her reckless driving. Neither one of these outcomes translate to me making the road less safe.

I'll also add that sometimes there will be people driving at the exact speed limit on the left lane and I'll simply go around them without being annoyed. I can't imagine being annoyed by someone following the law (you know, the actual written rule) just because I want to break it.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
We're just going to disagree on this one. Unwritten rules of the road are as laughable as unwritten rules in sports. If they were important enough, it would be an actual rule.

There are only two possible outcomes from me maintaining my 80 mph speed: 1) the driver behind me slows down 2) the driver behind me goes around me and continues with his/her reckless driving. Neither one of these outcomes translate to me making the road less safe.

I'll also add that sometimes there will be people driving at the exact speed limit on the left lane and I'll simply go around them without being annoyed. I can't imagine being annoyed by someone following the law (you know, the actual written rule) just because I want to break it.
Interesting. How did you come up with this 80mph is enough for the left lane rule? Why isn't it 82mph? Assuming a guy going 82mph is suddenly reckless, while you yourself are perfectly safe at 80mph which is also well outside the bounds of the speed limit. Line of thought is all over the map.

Unwritten rules of the road actually make for a better experience AND safer when followed. You should've been a highway cop.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
It certainly does translate to you making the road less safe. I hope you realize that you're causing the driver that wants to pass you to drive more aggressively. This is endangering me and everyone else driving in the center and slow lanes as the agitated driver aggressively tries to pass you.

The most severe accidents are caused by those that make others change lanes more frequently.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting. How did you come up with this 80mph is enough for the left lane rule? Why isn't it 82mph? Assuming a guy going 82mph is suddenly reckless, while you yourself are perfectly safe at 80mph which is also well outside the bounds of the speed limit. Line of thought is all over the map.

Unwritten rules of the road actually make for a better experience AND safer when followed. You should've been a highway cop.

Actually, my line of thought is perfectly logical. Someone wanting to go 82 mph is not going to be upset that the guy in front of him is going "only" 80. So when I refer to reckless driving, I mean people going much faster than 80. Whether you agree with it being unsafe to drive faster than 80 or not, surely you will agree that there is SOME speed in which is it considered reckless to drive at. In other words, if you think my 80 mph is an unsafe speed, than 90 mph is certainly less safe. I'm simply stating that I won't alter my perfectly adequate driving speed and/or choice of lane in order to accommodate someone else especially when the only argument in favor of it to this point is that it is an unwritten rule.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
STAY RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS.

In NJ, that is not an "unwritten rule" of the road. It's the LAW. It's written. Cops can, and will pull you over, and ticket you.

You can't cruise in the left lane just because you think you are driving a perfectly adequate speed. If people are passing you on the right (or you are driving in phalanx formation with them), you're breaking the law.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, my line of thought is perfectly logical. Someone wanting to go 82 mph is not going to be upset that the guy in front of him is going "only" 80. So when I refer to reckless driving, I mean people going much faster than 80. Whether you agree with it being unsafe to drive faster than 80 or not, surely you will agree that there is SOME speed in which is it considered reckless to drive at. In other words, if you think my 80 mph is an unsafe speed, than 90 mph is certainly less safe. I'm simply stating that I won't alter my perfectly adequate driving speed and/or choice of lane in order to accommodate someone else especially when the only argument in favor of it to this point is that it is an unwritten rule.
Your not the arbiter of what speed is reckless and you cannot possibly know the various reasons someone is going faster than your arbitrarily set 80mph. There are so many variables to that equation that as an ordinary citizen just move out of the way and let them pass.

Are you the guy who stands on the left side of escalators too while everyone is trying to walk up?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Your not the arbiter of what speed is reckless and you cannot possibly know the various reasons someone is going faster than your arbitrarily set 80mph. There are so many variables to that equation that as an ordinary citizen just move out of the way and let them pass.

Are you the guy who stands on the left side of escalators too while everyone is trying to walk up?

We can go at this all day and neither of us is going to change our minds. But I'll tell you why your left lane/escalator comparison is truly apples to oranges (just because I've got another 30 minutes to spare). If I stand on the left side of the escalator, I give the person behind me no alternative. They would HAVE to wait. The speedy driver behind me can simply go around me and go on about his day. If it's going to come down to a matter of inconveniencing me or inconveniencing him, I choose me all day.

It's kind of like the husband leaving the toilet seat up. I need it up, she needs it down. We're both inconveniencing one another but you can make the argument from both sides just as passionately.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
We can go at this all day and neither of us is going to change our minds. But I'll tell you why your left lane/escalator comparison is truly apples to oranges (just because I've got another 30 minutes to spare). If I stand on the left side of the escalator, I give the person behind me no alternative. They would HAVE to wait. The speedy driver behind me can simply go around me and go on about his day. If it's going to come down to a matter of inconveniencing me or inconveniencing him, I choose me all day.

It's kind of like the husband leaving the toilet seat up. I need it up, she needs it down. We're both inconveniencing one another but you can make the argument from both sides just as passionately.
It is a shame you can't comprehend that your silly arbitrary setting of the left lane speed limit to what you believe it should be is making the road which you inhabit LESS safe. It also begs the question "who the f do you think you are?". Elevated sense of self and disregard for everyone else?

As I've stated earlier in the thread. Take a trip up to Montreal and watch/experience really nice road symphony as more people get it and less people have silly made up "rules" they feel the need to enforce on everyone else.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
It is a shame you can't comprehend that your silly arbitrary setting of the left lane speed limit to what you believe it should be is making the road which you inhabit LESS safe. It also begs the question "who the f do you think you are?". Elevated sense of self and disregard for everyone else?

As I've stated earlier in the thread. Take a trip up to Montreal and watch/experience really nice road symphony as more people get it and less people have silly made up "rules" they feel the need to enforce on everyone else.

Cool story, bro.

I can almost see you typing the keys extra hard. Lighten up a bit. Have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey