Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 668 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of purchasing a condo with tenants. I had initially agreed to have the sellers evict them before closing but since they have been dragging this process out I recently agreed to close with the tenants still there before my commitment letter expires.

I would like to know my options once I close. Can I give them just 30 days notice? Their lease expired a year ago and since then they have been paying month to month. I have been doing research online and it seems like they can get 30 days notice since this will be my primary residence.

Can anyone with experience in NJ let me know if this is valid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Have the sellers get them out before your close.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
If you don't own it, you cannot do anything to the tenants. Send them all the notices you want, it's as legally binding as them sending you notices that you have to evict.

This is currently in the existing owner's court and they need to deal with it, but it sounds like they're taking the easy way out and making it your problem.

So, you need to decide if you're going to play hardball with the owner and tell them you're going to walk if they don't evict the tenants. And then you need to be willing to walk or wait another 30 days after you take the place over.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:17 PM

343 posts, read 615,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsimpson77 View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a condo with tenants. I had initially agreed to have the sellers evict them before closing but since they have been dragging this process out I recently agreed to close with the tenants still there before my commitment letter expires.

I would like to know my options once I close. Can I give them just 30 days notice? Their lease expired a year ago and since then they have been paying month to month. I have been doing research online and it seems like they can get 30 days notice since this will be my primary residence.

Can anyone with experience in NJ let me know if this is valid?
NJ is a tenant state, if they want they can tie you up in court for months even years.

Unless you are confident the tenants are reasonable and will agree to move out, demand the unit be delivered vacant. The fact the seller is having problems getting the tenant out should be a big warning flag.

Worst mistake you can make is agree to buy a place with bad tenant in place, then they become your headache after closing before the inks are even dry.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
I would advise you to have the seller remove the tenants before you buy.

There are many legal ways they can end up staying there without paying rent, and it could drag out for a year or more.

I know. That happened to me.

First came the excuses from the tenants. "We'll have the money on the 20th instead of the 15th". "Our baby is sick and we need the money for her doctor". on and on

Then came the eviction. As soon as they got the letter they declared bankruptcy. That tied things up even more, since bankruptcy comes with all sorts of legal protections from creditors.

What a mess! I think it took a year to get them out; I couldn't even go into the apartment to make repairs, so it wound up being totally trashed by water damage, and of course they paid no rent.

Don't do it!!!!!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:34 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
I agree with everyone else -- don't close until the tenants are out. I'm a landlord on a small scale (multifamily house and a condo). I've read plenty of horror stories about tenants who wouldn't leave. Tenants can make your life a living hell in NJ. I've been very lucky with great tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: